Thread: Shortening motorand battery wires on esc ?

Default Shortening motorand battery wires on esc ?

Hi all im running a 32'' Finch Wild thing mono with a Leopard 4082 2000 KV and a Swordfish Pro 220 + esc with 6mm bullet plugs and x445 prop on 4s2p. I noticed after a 2 minute run the esc and the battery plugs are pretty warm and speeds of 49 mph is the max . The esc is mounted in front of the motor towards the bow i was thinking off mounting the esc on top of the motor then i can shorten the 3 motor leads on the esc side by 3/4 '' each i was told that you never shorten the 3 leads coming of the motor. Is this true ? I can also remove maybe a 1'' or 2 from the power leads . Would this be a good idea towards lowering esc and connector temps and increasing speed ? I was told this set-up should put me in the 55-60 range from the get go. Regards Andris Golts.

Andris,
    From what I have read some motors stipulate that the leads may be shortened. If not indicated then I would not touch the motor leads. Apparently on those motors the windings terminate at the end of the lead and cannot be shortened. On other motors the windings terminate inside the motor and these may be shortened. As far as the ESC leads I cannot see why these could not be shortened. From my reading, the shorter the wires the better.

Are they Castle connectors?

Does it run wet or loose?
    Nortavlag Bulc

Andris, how good are the 6 mm bullet connectors ? some of the cheaper bullets are not a snug fit when joined together and there also abit thin as opposed to the motor and esc wire gauge. how about trying a new set of connectors such as 6 or 6.5 mm gold plated type. i would try this before cutting the wires as i really don,t think the wire length is your main issue here. also have you tried going down a prop size to see if the wires arn,t as warm after a run ?

You can shorten them but I'd have to do it for you. It's a dangerous procedure but I've done it successfully.

I might try 8mm Castle connectors, better heat dissipation.

What are battery and motor temps like? Are they stock 6mm connectors?
    Nortavlag Bulc

Its also a 3Delta wind so either try 0 degrees timing or auto timing.

What batteries, mAh total?
    Nortavlag Bulc

The OP’s current setup should deliver 45-50 mph, he either has too few rpm and/or not enough pitch to reach 55-60 mph. It is not rare for connectors to get warm after 2 minutes, how hot are they? Is the solder melting? It may be a non-issue.

How hot are the motor and ESC? What is the average amp draw when running? Is the boat loose or wet?

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Your idea of hot might be others' idea of barely warm. Hard to say w/o actual temps.

The reason you can't shorten some motor wires is they are the actual enamel-coated wires that make up the windings. You'd have to strip the enamel off at the new spot. They'll generally feel very stiff. The wet-noodle wires are likely add-on wires that are soldered to the winding ends inside the can.

1-2" of wire will not change much unless that's half of whats there. I bet you have other issues. My Pursuit is using a much smaller 3674 china motor and going faster on 4S. The diff is I normally use an m445 for speed, or an x445 that's been detonqued and slighly cut down if it's hot or I want more battery life. If yours isn't detongued, that could be part of the issue - it will reduce speed and increase load.

Thanks for all the replies . Ray the 6mm connectors are the one's Offshore electrics sell batteries are Turnigy 4s 5000 mah 50c in 4s 2p configuration i have not run the boat since last September if i remember correctly the motor and lipo's where about 105 degrees the Swordfish was around 135 degrees after the 2 minute run. Regards Andris Golts.

ESC is too hot. Like others say, you need a prop that has the ears removed. In that water temp you should not have an esc at 135degrees.

We will work it out. Might trim some fat off that wood hull, lol... Kidding... maybe...
    Nortavlag Bulc