Thread: Engine mounting question

Default Engine mounting question

Im building a 2005 Thriftway and am curious about the motor mounting position. My boat has a wider right side than left side. Do i center the motor and prop shaft to the hull or mount it off center, where the motor is mounted if it were a real boat?

As far as side-to-side motor placement, you mount it on the CG running side-to-side. You need to place the boat along its length on a skinny board, and find where it balances from side to side. If the boat is built offset, then you should find that the motor is offset too. You should have the rudder, servo, rec and batts in their general mounting position to take those weight elements into account. On hydros, I usually start the the motor placement front to rear at the 35% of OAL distance from the transom. The motor is usually behind the CG, the middle or leading edge of the turn is on the CG, with batts mounted forward.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigP View Post
    As far as side-to-side motor placement, you mount it on the CG running side-to-side. You need to place the boat along its length on a skinny board, and find where it balances from side to side. If the boat is built offset, then you should find that the motor is offset too. You should have the rudder, servo, rec and batts in their general mounting position to take those weight elements into account. On hydros, I usually start the the motor placement front to rear at the 35% of OAL distance from the transom. The motor is usually behind the CG, the middle or leading edge of the turn is on the CG, with batts mounted forward.
    Im really new to this, CG?, OAL?

CG is center of gravity. OAL is overall length. The CG is the boat’s balance points. There is a single point under the boat that it will stay flat on, like if it was on the end of your finger. Theoretically, the CG is a 360degree point. But for simplicity, I like the break it down to two components, the side-to-side balance point and the front to back balance point. But finding the balance point, by mounting a 1/4” X 1/4” stick straight in a vise, then move the boat around to find where it balances, is a good starting point. You should put your basic gear in there, just taped down, to take those weight elements into account, as a described before. There’s much info on the inter webs about “balancing RC hydro”, you might want to check that out.. It’s important to get it right.

Thanks for that, helps alot.