Thread: Pro Marine Skater 32 Run on a Windy Day (boat flips in the end)

Default Pro Marine Skater 32 Run on a Windy Day (boat flips in the end)

This is a video made on the same day as the DF29 video posted earlier. I've been working on this boat trying to make it turn as well as it can while still keeping decent speed on the straights. I've added a side strake to the left side, to help it skid better and not catch and flip as easily in the corners. This has helped, along with finding the right spot for the batteries and looking for the right spot to put the strut to make it work on the oval. This boat runs on two, 6S@5000mah batteries wired in parallel for a total of 10,000mah total capacity. It is equipped with a Swordfish Pro 200A 2-6S ESC coupled to a Leopard 4082, 1450kv motor turning an ABC 1716-17-45, 2-bladed prop. It's not wide open very often because I'm pretty leery about this boat and trying to learn it's habits. It still is catching in the corners, mostly on the far end because I'm not rolling out of the rudder early and smoothly enough. The boat also flips when it hits a very strong head wing gust at the end of the video. This boat used to flip all the time, even on calm days, until I put a reverse-lift wing on the front. This has reduced the straight run flipping tremendously, but she can still get light! I shouldn't have gunned it in the head wind, but I just had to try, you know what I mean? Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/Nei98nK5fHA

Here's a couple of pics on the side strake and the front wing on the Skater 32.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looking good zip zipping around Craig! I put a small aluminum side skeg from Kintec on a x2 a couple of years ago and it worked wonders for the turning of the boat....That mod ticked a few others off though...Lol!
    TFL Zonda (124mph), Miss Geico Zelos 36 (108mph), Veles 29 (91mph), Zelos Twin 36 (90mph), Miss Geico 29v3 (83.5mph), Sonicwake 36 V2 (83mph), Blackjack 42 (81mph), TFL Pursuit (79mph), UL-19 (75mph), Sonicwake 36 (73mph), Motley Crew (47.5mph), AquaCraft Rescue 17

I’ve been thinking about that, like a Cracker Box skag? Try to make it shallow enough to be dry running straight and it hits water in the turns, is that what you’re thinking?

Hey Craig, that's a good looking place to run. I'll have to come up that way when Rodger gets back in town. Have you tried dropping the strut to keep it from blowing over? From what I've seen, that boat shouldn't have issues with flipping or turning. Another easy mod would be to tape a straw under the tunnel about 1" in leaving about 1/2" on either end to reduce lift. Easy and removable.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigP View Post
    I’ve been thinking about that, like a Cracker Box skag? Try to make it shallow enough to be dry running straight and it hits water in the turns, is that what you’re thinking?
    Yes, exactly. Less drag down the straights and digs in when the boat corners. In my opinion a strake makes the boat react likes it's running way too wet.
    TFL Zonda (124mph), Miss Geico Zelos 36 (108mph), Veles 29 (91mph), Zelos Twin 36 (90mph), Miss Geico 29v3 (83.5mph), Sonicwake 36 V2 (83mph), Blackjack 42 (81mph), TFL Pursuit (79mph), UL-19 (75mph), Sonicwake 36 (73mph), Motley Crew (47.5mph), AquaCraft Rescue 17

I put a 50 degree angle on the side of that strake to try and keep it clear running straight. I think it works, because the modification is only to the left side, and the rudder trim is neutral. I’m going to make a skag out of some 6061-T6 0.040” thick. I’ll post a pic before I mount, maybe you can comment on that. I really appreciate the advice!

Quote Originally Posted by oscarel View Post
    Hey Craig, that's a good looking place to run. I'll have to come up that way when Rodger gets back in town. Have you tried dropping the strut to keep it from blowing over? From what I've seen, that boat shouldn't have issues with flipping or turning. Another easy mod would be to tape a straw under the tunnel about 1" in leaving about 1/2" on either end to reduce lift. Easy and removable.
    Good to hear from you! Yeah, Roger is off running race cars. In April I go to Washington to build blown alcohol motors for my brother’s GP boat, but there’s time to get together. I have dropped the strut, the centerline of the prop shaft is about 0.063” below the back of the sponsons. I had it up where the bottom of the strut was above the back of the sponsons, for running straight. I think there’s room to go down another 0.030” from where it’s at. Note that on the flip you saw, that was into a 20mph gust, head on. I have seen the wing “fly” the boat back down when running with the wind. And, I really need more driving time... Thanks Oscar, always reassuring to get advice from you!

Quote Originally Posted by CraigP View Post
    Good to hear from you! Yeah, Roger is off running race cars. In April I go to Washington to build blown alcohol motors for my brother’s GP boat, but there’s time to get together. I have dropped the strut, the centerline of the prop shaft is about 0.063” below the back of the sponsons. I had it up where the bottom of the strut was above the back of the sponsons, for running straight. I think there’s room to go down another 0.030” from where it’s at. Note that on the flip you saw, that was into a 20mph gust, head on. I have seen the wing “fly” the boat back down when running with the wind. And, I really need more driving time... Thanks Oscar, always reassuring to get advice from you!
    Building a motor sounds like fun! Let me know when you get back and we'll see about getting together. Rodger was in South Carolina last week, man he get's around!

If it's not blowing over when the wind isn't that strong, I wouldn't adjust anything. Anything temporary under the tunnel will help reduce lift. You could also add a tape steamer to the rudder to help keep down the nose, again something temporary.

Craig, what other props have you tried? It may be possible that the ABC and its characteristics could be harming things. My finding is that it takes a great deal of negative trim or a great amount of forward CG to keep a boat in the water with them.

Shawn, I got:
    1) Prather B225 & B230
    2) JG 1-25
    3) Octura M445, M545, M645
    4) Octura X447, X548 (thinned, but not de-tongued)
    5) Octura 1742-3 blade

Here’s the other ABC props I got:
    1) 1715-17-45
    2) 1716-17-45 (on the boat)
    3) 1717-17-45
    4) 1816-17-45

Maybe toss a M445 on and see how it changes things Craig. That high rake on the ABC’s is the game changer. It tends to have the prop ‘scoop’ or ‘dig’ the water more. This pulls the transom down thereby lifting the nose. So you can see why it may have adverse effects on handling. I really haven’t tried a set on anything for cornering yet.