Thread: Expired Loctite 648 for Shaft and Flex?

Default Expired Loctite 648 for Shaft and Flex?

Hey guys,

I have some Loctite 648 that was opened about a year ago with an expiration of Nov. 2017

When glueing a pair of flex cables to some shafts I noticed that even after about a few days the excess loctite on the flex is still wet and sticky and doesn't appear to have the same bold green consistency it used to have when it dried from when i first used it back then.

What are the chances of this thing coming apart? Should I buy some new loctite and redo it? It still appears to be holding well even if I apply a good bit of pressure to it but I'm worried it might not last.

well whats the cheapest. a bottle of lock - tite or a shaft and prop. ??

648 dries (cures) in the absence of air - explains why overflow doesn't cure :

"LOCTITE® 648™ is designed for the bonding of cylindrical fitting parts. The product cures when confined in the absence of air between close fitting metal surfaces and prevents loosening and leakage from shock and vibration."

I've used 603 on .150 cable to propshaft assemblies 2 or three years past expiration date with no issues. Then one day it stopped working/holding after I tested a day-old assembled .150 using the expired 603. (I realize that .150 cables aren't called on for holding together forces that the .187 see.)

I only use (buy) .187 welded cables (but I have run into some that are poorly aligned). The ones I get from OSE have always been fine.
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

The last .150 cable I did believe it or not I used red threadlocker from harbor freight and so far is working great.IMG_20180303_163913987.jpg

Have you guys noticed the amount of Chinese "Loctite" knock offs on Ebay ... :/

Quote Originally Posted by rol243 View Post
    well whats the cheapest. a bottle of lock - tite or a shaft and prop. ??
    I’m with you on this. I just got a new bottle from my auto supplier. The old one expired June of last year. But I figured for the sake of $22 it wasn’t worth chancing on the HPR.