Thread: Dumas boats ?

Default Dumas boats ?

Is Dumas boats still in business ? The phone # i have no longer works and im getting no reply to the emails i sent ! Regards Andris Golts.

pretty sure Dumas are not in business anymore. i could be wrong but havn,t heard anyone building any Dumas Kits for some time. last Kit i had was Dumas Hawk 21 rigger which was approx 20 years back.

https://www.dumasproducts.com/

Website still looks like they sell things,

It looks like they are still in business.

http://www.dumasproducts.com/index.php
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

well thats really good to hear . Dumas have been around for so many years now and still going.

Ya, they're still open for business. I got the # off the internet and they answered.

.......Just finishing up a SK Daddle Too (27").........not at all impressed...wood is dryer than desert dust......stampings are poor and incomplete....and yes, the're still in business....one of the deck pieces was cracked, but Dumas replaced it. I'll go with glass or plastic hulls from now on.....cheaper and less frustrating in the long run !
    I'll post some pics when fully complete.........set up with a EP 650 ....drag boat style.....

Cool

I built five or six Dumas boats between 25-50 years ago, the oldest ones were the “best” but were still lacking good die cutting. Later kits were really pretty poor. It seems that many kits sold today were cut many years ago on aged, dull equipment. The dry wood creek runner had backs this up.

I really want to build a SKDaddle (~36”) to run at low amp draw on 6S or 8S but the quality of the kits is so poor and the price so high I can’t bring myself to do it.
    ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

would be nice to grab a set of plans for the SKDaddle, Fluid.

Not so nice actually. By themselves the “plans” Dumas sells are not really suitable for use in building the boat, they’re just side and plan views along with building instructions. To build the boat right would require buying a kit and replacing most of the wood.

Default Dumas Too

Time will tell .....as always.....I'll go with plastic hulls from now on........
    Attached Images Attached Images

It looks great! Let us know how it runs....good or not so good.

Nicely done! I built an SKDaddle when I was 11... Had a little .048ci motor in it. Actually ran it in the pool, until daddy saw me banging around on the pool tiles!

..if you built this hull when you were 11, you were indeed a very talented and patient young man. . I have no idea as to how this will run....3s, 4000mah is my power.
    My only previous RC boat experience was with a Dumas Hot Shot w/3.5 K&B....20+ years ago.....40% nitro....good times.
    Thanks for your kind words.......

Oh, I didn’t say it turned out sweet! It was a mess... glue stains all over the boat. I think I just shot some red paint on it. I do remember having to do a lot of trimming on the wood with an Xacto knife, and cutting myself pretty bad! Maybe that’s why I painted it red. It was a small hull, about 18-20”, so maybe a SKDaddle Jr or something? Well, it was definitely a Dumas kit, flat bottom with those curved sides. I remember trying to get those rubber bands wrapped around it!

Wow, seeing your boat has opened a floodgate of memories! I looked up the hull, it was the SKDaddle, Jr. I remember really trying to make that back hatch cover look good. I also remember now building the Littl’ Swamp Buggy, an 0.049 air boat. Those early boats had Futaba radio. My first serious boat, the 36” Miss Thirftaway, had an early Kraft radio. Does that ring a bell with anybody? Thanks for sparking such vivid and good memories about my boat modeling start! I hope you’ve had a good trip down memory lane building your beautiful boat..