Thread: First attempt

Default First attempt

Hello everybody
    I am new in this field. so thought i would join and pick some peoples brains here.
    I have been designing boats for the past 20 years. mostly sailboats and a few airplanes. but as i got bored this year. I decided to try a field i knew nothing about, fast electrics. I did one from a set of plans a friend had when i was very young. and didnt go so well. So here i am with a new design
    I am working off a 3d drawing of Atlas Van lines U-95. I got the basic frame work done.
    I got a few questions.. Can i run a solid prop shaft or do i have to run the cable thing. ( sorry dont know the proper term)
    I plan on running a 3s 2200 Mah lipo battery ( i got alot from all the planes i drew)
    No idea on the motor or esc or even the weight yet
    total length will be 27 inch or 760 mm

so any ideas will be welcome and i will not turn down any advice.
    Miss Waterloo.jpg

this is where i am now
    LLoyd

The scale hydros were originally designed to run straight solid drive shafts and even today with the scale hydroplanes you must use a straight drive shaft in either solid metal or flexable straight configuration.

Cool

The OP only needs to run a solid shaft if he races. If he doesn’t race then I suggest he run a 0.150” flex cable, much easier to set up. He will not get enough runtime with a single 2200 mAh pack, he should run two packs in parallel.

Motor choice will will depend on how fast he wants to go, a 36x60 mm motor with a Kv around 2500 is one option. An ESC capable of 120-150 amps and 3S is another suggestion. OSE offers great quality components, so do other sellers.

I strongly suggest that you speak with at least two boaters who run similar-sized boats for setup suggestions like CG, fin size, strut depth etc. Building an R/C model hydro exactly to full scale plans is a recipe for failure. Good luck with your project!

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

i am going to guess that people use inrunners? I got alot of outrunners in my shop

nothing wrong with the outrunner motor as long as there is some more cooling to help keep it cool.

NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

i looked at the plans for atlas van lines.. and was wondering why the 1/16 ply.. I am going to be fibreglassing it anyway.. could i build the boat using 1/8 balsa. Those plans are better than my design at the moment. so lets build that.
    Could i build the entire boat out of balsa? or are we going so fast we need the strength of the plywood? I am not going to try and break records here.. just trying to get into the water.
    I would think the fibreglass would provide enough strength.. wouldnt it?
    thanks for the help Peter

OK made my decision.. I am going to be building the 1/8 Atlas van lines.. that looks easier to build and since i know nothing. Better to err on the side of caution,
    My first time around
    so i got this motor in a box doing nothing
    https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...v-60-glow.html
    It was going to fly a top flite corsair.. Maybe it will work on this?

this looks like a good esc..to start with
    https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobbykin...c-4a-ubec.html
    now i know alot of people are serious racers here.. and i get it.. But i am new. and I dont even know how to drive these thing.I am talking with a guy from area now. and when the water becomes liquid again.. I am going out to talk with them. but i think i need a head start/
    will that motor work.. or do i need an different type of motor

thanks for the imput

Motor and ESC are totally wrong for a 1/8 scale hydro.
    I'll PM you my cell number tomorrow and we can talk if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Doby View Post
    Motor and ESC are totally wrong for a 1/8 scale hydro.
    I'll PM you my cell number tomorrow and we can talk if you want.
    John

A 1/10 scale may be a better choice for Loyd to start out with.
    Stock Motor, - Raider 150 ESC - and 4S

And about 1/10 the cost of an 1/8th scale.

Larry
    Past NAMBA- P Mono -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Past NAMBA- P Sport -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Bump & Grind Racing Props -We Like Em Smooth & Wet

Thats what I was thinking....we'll probably talk tomorrow and see where he really wants to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Cougar33 View Post
    i looked at the plans for atlas van lines.. and was wondering why the 1/16 ply.. I am going to be fibreglassing it anyway.. could i build the boat using 1/8 balsa. Those plans are better than my design at the moment. so lets build that.
    Could i build the entire boat out of balsa? or are we going so fast we need the strength of the plywood? I am not going to try and break records here.. just trying to get into the water.
    I would think the fibreglass would provide enough strength.. wouldnt it?
    thanks for the help Peter
    Ply is stronger, f/g inside is still a go. I think a 1/10 scale as suggested is a good idea. Balsa contruction while light even glassed will not hold up to the forces that water puts on a boat at speed, even if your speed aspirations are not great. Even a mild set up in a boat this scale would see you at 40+ mph. Hitting even a piece of floating wood at that speed would be very damaging to a balsa construction. Looks as if Doby wants to have a chat with you, he will be able to help you in a good direction so you can build a satisfying boat to play with. Feel free to ask more questions here, most of us would rather see you build something that will go well on a reasonable budget and be able to enjoy it.
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

Quote Originally Posted by Doby View Post
    Thats what I was thinking....we'll probably talk tomorrow and see where he really wants to go.
    John
    you coming to the swap meet tomorrow?
    If Loyd is close, he can come too.

Sunday 11:00 AM

Port Credit Royal Canadian Legion Branch #82
    35 Front Street North
    Mississauga, ON
    L5H 2E1

Larry
    Past NAMBA- P Mono -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Past NAMBA- P Sport -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Bump & Grind Racing Props -We Like Em Smooth & Wet

Nope...god willing I'll be flying some RC Planes tomorrow, I think Lloyd is in Waterloo.

well got my phone all in and not all lost.. the 1/8 scale has been shelved for the moment. 10 cell batteries?? are you guys nuts ( lol)
    so cant do that at the moment.. the 1/10 scale is going to be looked at . maybe even a fast cat. the rtr one. but still would like to build. John made some real good point with the rtr version since it is all set ready to go.. I would not have to know what to do . just sort of plug and play thing.
    I do like the looks of the hydros. Just have to make up my mind.. i would have thought my stuff would have worked. and all i need was to buy the running gear.

thanks for the help you guys.. it made it alot easier to solve issues when you have people willing to just talk to you
    cheap motor and good esc are not on the hunt

Hi Guys
    just to let you all know.. I have not forgotten about this.. I am still building. just having issues with
    1) the plans are kinda of wierd.. or i cant read them. I look at some build pics. and nobody build the boat with that bevel
    2) i am waiting on HK ( 3 months) for the flex cable.
    But the build is going along. and it is coming along find building the first one out of foam was a great idea. showed me where the part went. The wood boat is coming along great and fastIMG_2374.jpgIMG_2375.jpgIMG_2376.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Cougar33 View Post
    Hi Guys
    just to let you all know.. I have not forgotten about this.. I am still building. just having issues with
    1) the plans are kinda of wierd.. or i cant read them. I look at some build pics. and nobody build the boat with that bevel
    2) i am waiting on HK ( 3 months) for the flex cable.
    But the build is going along. and it is coming along find building the first one out of foam was a great idea. showed me where the part went. The wood boat is coming along great and fastIMG_2374.jpgIMG_2375.jpgIMG_2376.jpg
    Bet you can find the flex you need on the OSE store.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    "Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone except God.
    Billy Graham