Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 37" TFL Genesis single motor SAW build

Default 37" TFL Genesis single motor SAW build

I found a deal too good to pass up on a 37" fiberglass Genesis that had only been run 3 times. I was looking for a boat to build up for a close friend of mine to run with us next summer at the Mini Shootout and this will fit in nicely. I'm not decided yet on the electronics, depends on the class it will run. Could be stock (2000kV on 6S), or a modified motor and 5S or less for one class, 6S or more for the other. The bigger issue is that it will be driven by a complete novice and the water conditions a rarely glass like. So, reinforcement is the name of the game!

First up, 30g of finishing resin and chopped carbon fiber poured into each sponson tip and a third pour over the bridge between the two. Propped the hull up in a bath of cold water because of the heat that the epoxy creates while curing.

2018-02-18 12.38.02.jpg
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

A lot of people run a dual cooling rudder on this boat, including the previous owner. Good idea for sport running, but the rudder blade is fat and bulky, and will create too much drag for my needs. I'll replace it with a thinner, shorter rudder and get my water from through hull pick-ups. Traced out templates for each pick-up on the bottom of the hull. Drilled out the four corners with a small dremel drill bit. Cut the long sides with a dremel cut-ff wheel and the short sides with a diamond grinder tip. Messaged the opening with a small file until the pick-ups just snapped into place. I had to thin out some fiberglass material near the corner of the sponson where the layup was too thick on the inside of the hull so that the pick-ups could sit perfectly flat. I taped them into place from the outside of the hull to seal off the cracks and prevent epoxy from leaking out. I locked them into place with a small pour of 30-minute epoxy over each pick-up and did a light sanding from the bottom side. A little epoxy leaked out and the cardboard I used to keep the pick-ups flush with the bottom of the hull got glues to the hull. I'll sand the rest of that off when I blueprint the pads later.

2018-02-19 18.21.56.jpg 2018-02-19 18.22.38.jpg 2018-02-19 18.46.38.jpg 2018-02-19 19.00.27.jpg2018-02-24 21.07.38.jpg
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Next up was the rudder/strut mount reinforcement. I've seen a number of build threads fill the transom from the inside with a large epoxy pour, directly over the mounting hardware, kfxguy and srislash in particular, so that's how I was going to do it. I replaced the stock mounting bolts with 6/32 stainless 1" coarse thread bolts and 6/32 blind nuts. The bolt pattern is pretty tight and the bottom two screws are very close to the floor, so I had to grind a flat spot into the two bottom nuts. I covered the bolt threads with anti-seize so the epoxy wouldn't stick, installed everything, and did my best to seal the holes from the outside with masking tape gasket between the mount and hull. Mixed up 60g of finishing resin and chopped carbon fiber, stood the hull up on its tail, and poured it in. I got decent coverage with the first pour, but the blind nuts weren't covered as well as I wanted, so I mixed up another 30g cup and poured it in. Set the hull in a bowl of cold water and let it cure overnight. In the morning I took it all apart, cleaned up the threads on the bolts, and did a little light wet sanding around the old rudder push rod hole that is now filled.

2018-02-23 21.26.12.jpg 2018-02-23 22.06.21.jpg 2018-02-23 22.23.41.jpg 2018-02-23 22.25.07.jpg2018-02-23 22.47.42.jpg
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

The outside of the hull had a crown in two directions where the rudder and strut mount attached giving it very little surface area contact with the hull. I block sanded it as true as I could make it. Went clear through the gel coat, you can even see the seam run through the middle. I wasn't concerned because there was over a solid inch of epoxy and carbon fiber on the other side. It was still a little too low near the edges, so I masked off a rectangle and built up the sides with JB Weld. When that cures, I'll block sand it again and I should have a perfectly flat surface for the mount to butt up against.

2018-02-24 10.26.13.jpg 2018-02-24 11.02.08.jpg
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Ryan,
    Nice work. BUT, I nearly fell over when I saw your block sanding equipment. Alphabet and dinosaur blocks!!!

By the way. if I EVER tried to put a boat in a tub of water on my wifes granite kitchen counter tops, it may be the last thing I do.

I did say block sanding... They happened to stack at the exact height I needed to work at while keeping the hull flat on the counter. I do the cleaning in our kitchen so, I put bowls full of boats where I want them.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

That is a good system for the rudder standoff Ryan. Nice true and square. Excellent work so far. So are you going with deckkbraces/stringers then?

Very nice job, I do the bind nuts also, just a suggestion it is easier to turn the bind nuts around so the points stick out towards the front, this way you have them mount flat against the transome and the resin secures the tips. Also for the uneven rudder mount area you can skim coat with Marine rx to save on sanding. Look good 2000kv on 6s should haul. Really like the water pick ups.

Quote Originally Posted by srislash View Post
    That is a good system for the rudder standoff Ryan. Nice true and square. Excellent work so far. So are you going with deckkbraces/stringers then?
    Yes, I'm going to install two stringers just like yours, after the inlay is done. The rudder standoff is dead true now.

2018-02-25 09.35.40.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Newboater View Post
    Very nice job, I do the bind nuts also, just a suggestion it is easier to turn the bind nuts around so the points stick out towards the front, this way you have them mount flat against the transome and the resin secures the tips. Also for the uneven rudder mount area you can skim coat with Marine rx to save on sanding. Look good 2000kv on 6s should haul. Really like the water pick ups.
    Thanks! That's a good idea on the blind nuts. I installed them at the ends of the bolts to put as much solid epoxy between the hull and nuts as possible since I decided not to use a transom doubler. Had there been room for carbon plate, I think it would have made more sense to use your reverse method. I had considered the Marin RX for several hull projects, but it's so damn expensive so I'm using what I have on hand. The JB Weld sands pretty easy and didn't take to long to true up.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

2018-02-25 10.30.57.jpg 2018-02-25 10.46.46.jpg 2018-02-25 14.56.53.jpg
    Ground out the epoxy line along the factory motor mount and popped that out. The battery trays put up quite a fight and took a fair amount of effort to cut into pieces and grind out the glued tabs. I sanded the entire interior to get things ready for the inlay. I also decided to fill in the gaps on either side of both stinger pockets under the rear deck. I built a dam with masking tape and poured in a thin epoxy mix until it was just about even with the tunnel. Now I can just lay the carbon inlay right over that area.

2018-02-25 14.01.11.jpg 2018-02-25 14.57.02.jpg
    Had some carbon plate scraps left over so I traced out four corner tabs that I'll glue to the underside of the hatch opening to give me a place to install the hatch lock hardware. Haven't decided if I'll attach them before the inlay so the cloth can wrap right up to the edge, or after the inlay so I have more room to work. I don't think it really matters.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Nice job!
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    Nice job!
    Thanks. I'm going to hit you up for ideas on modifying the strut.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    Thanks. I'm going to hit you up for ideas on modifying the strut.
    Anytime. I think this boat can go as fast as my buddy’s if setup right. I didn’t set his boat up to go that fast, it was supposed to be a 75-80mph boat tops on 6s but I think he ended up going like 88 and wanted more. He didn’t care what happened either because he’s got deep pockets.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

I'd like to think I'm building it strong enough to do 100, but it will never see that because I don't plan on running that much voltage or motor. 80's would be good, plus, the boat is not for me, it's for a complete newbie to run at the shootout with us. He'd have just as much fun with a recoil26, but I have standards for my pit tables.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Drew my inlay templates last night, cut out the carbon this morning, and laid it all in this afternoon. One layer across the majority of the hull and a second layer (put down first) along the side seams.

2018-03-03 15.26.48.jpg 2018-03-03 18.07.40.jpg 2018-03-03 18.07.59.jpg

I want to put a layer of fiberglass cloth on the rear deck so the GPS will still work back there and one layer of carbon under the front deck. Hopefully tomorrow on those.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

I installed a second layer of carbon cloth over the center tunnel and put a second layer on hatch as well. The first layer dramatically strengthened the tunnel and got rid of most of the flex, but there was just a little left so I cut a piece of carbon that ran from the rear of the sponsons to approximately 8" under the front deck. It covered just the top of the tunnel and the sides, but did not lay down into the bottom of the sponsons. I also cut a piece of carbon cloth to cover the underside of the top deck. I ran it as far forward as I could reach with my foam roller and down the sides to overlap the bottom piece. I should have made my deck stringer templates first, can't do that now until the resin dries.

2018-03-10 16.21.59.jpg
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Holy crap, she is going to be a solid mofo!

This weekend's progress on the Genesis was shot. I either used an expired bottle of hardener or under measured on the scale last weekend as the last round cured but was still ever so tacky to the touch. I gave it all a light sanding and recoated the tacky surfaces with a fresh batch. I even kept the mixing cup as a control and it cured perfect with no issue. I did get a layer of fiberglass cloth laid down on the rear upper deck. I didn't want to use carbon there to keep the location RF friendly for the receiver, GPS, and telemetry. I'm hoping to cut the deck stringer templates this week and get the carbon cut and glued next weekend. I was considering using 3M panel bond, but I think 30min epoxy w/ chopped fiber will be thinner and I'll be able to let it run down the length of the seam before it cures.
    Last edited by fweasel; 03-18-2018 at 06:04 PM.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

I hate it when that happens! Only once early on for me but in a critical location. Grrr.

Made my stringer template and cut them out from carbon plate tonight. trimmed and massaged each one way too many times until they fit just right. The low deck height really made this project tough. Didn't have the patience to epoxy them into the hull, maybe tomorrow. Think I might drill one set of medium sized holes through both just in case I have to route something up front to keep the interior neat.

2018-03-21 21.10.59.jpg 2018-03-21 21.06.45.jpg
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Oh it is a tuff area to work with for sure. How did you make out?

Quote Originally Posted by srislash View Post
    Oh it is a tuff area to work with for sure. How did you make out?
    Working on it now. I'm using 30min epoxy dyed black. The pours down the outside faces of the stingers are smooth and neat with only a few runs down at the tips once the hull was propped up on its side to cure. I mixed in chopped carbon fiber for the pours on the inside faces, which gets clumpy and doesn't run as easily down along the seams. I taped a popsicle stick to a narrow piece of pvc tube to use as a spreader to even out the pour down the entire length of the stringer seam. Doesn't matter in the end, the flotation foam pieces will hide all of it. Unreal how solid the hull feels now, especially when you thump the deck. It used to sound like a hollow drum.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

2018-03-24 18.52.13.jpg 2018-03-24 18.52.54.jpg 2018-03-24 22.16.36.jpg

All cured up! This sucker is damn near bulletproof. On to the motor mount and stuffing tube.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Nice work

nice work its certainly going to be tough enough to handle your high speed saw runs

I just installed those same water thru hull inlets on a Pursuit ....it didnt work out for me for some reason they wouldnt pickup water for me ????
    I installed them flush and level with the hull and 1.5" from the transom because both my Pursuits like to ride on the last 3" of the hull so they have to be installed close to the transom

and before I remove them for pickups I know will work well, I even used epoxy to build up little scoops over them just to see what the issue is? and still not enough water to flow! the scoops just caused obvious drag as expected and chine walking .

Im sure others have got them to work but not for me? I have a piece of packing tape over them now so the boat doesn't leak but I need to fill them in with epoxy....grrrrrrrr
    Last edited by MadProps; 03-29-2018 at 12:03 PM.

That's too bad they've been so problematic on your Pursuit. I haven't used them myself on a V-bottom, but have had good results on the cats.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    That's too bad they've been so problematic on your Pursuit. I haven't used them myself on a V-bottom, but have had good results on the cats.
    I hoped you had a solution

Quote Originally Posted by MadProps View Post
    I hoped you had a solution
    Did you try grinding the inlets open to the shape of a teardrop. This makes all the difference in the world. I’ll try to get an example pic for you tomorrow. I have had the same issue as you on a new boat until I did this.

Shawn

20170830_204531.jpgI installed the same pick ups in my Zelos. Cooling doesn't seem to be an issue. I did a bit of filing to open up the water inlets. Hopefully, this will solve your issues.

yes I did dremel them open and even made scoops which didnt help...Im wondering if the V hull plays into this?

any one used thru hull pickups on a v mono hull like the Pursuit? very curious..

sorry about cross posting I will start a thread

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast