Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Osprey Offshore Endurance Boat

I guess battle scars add character! Well done in your races. I like how you have added the the red/green for port/starboard down the sides of your boats. Is it for looks or does it also aid in visualising the boat’s orientation when it’s a long way away?

Can you fit a flood chamber in it with the big battery? It would piss even more people off, but you wouldn't need the rescue boat, maybe worth a shot if they rule you out of continuing after a rescue.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

Don't really need the battle scars! The red green was intended as a visual aid, but 150 M away it is just hard to see any way when there are other boats throwing up walls of water.
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

Self righting was something that I thought about. It just ended up looking like a lot of extra work for this project and I am not sure that it would work so well with the overall weight. Nearly 4kg of batteries! Self righting would be sort of a 'holy grail' if it could be done while keeping good rough water handling.
    They will just make a rule saying that rescued boats have to be brought back to shore. It would depend on the rescue boat operator anyway at this point whether or not they just flipped you over or brought you back.

I looked at making my current build Osprey hull self righting, however, given the factory stock nose heavy attitude of the hull and the need to move weight aft for a reasonable CoG location I decided that there may not be available chamber volume to right the hull. From my recent experience with the three self righting hulls built, the chamber needs to be quite large with a definite port side imbalance. Given the volume of the Osprey hull and the amount of imbalance required to self right, I chose to not build a chamber. The large Osprey hatch may have been a positive should I have decided to build the hull self righting, however, I was not prepared to experiment for a more than likely expensive failure.

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    I looked at making my current build Osprey hull self righting, however, given the factory stock nose heavy attitude of the hull and the need to move weight aft for a reasonable CoG location I decided that there may not be available chamber volume to right the hull. From my recent experience with the three self righting hulls built, the chamber needs to be quite large with a definite port side imbalance. Given the volume of the Osprey hull and the amount of imbalance required to self right, I chose to not build a chamber. The large Osprey hatch may have been a positive should I have decided to build the hull self righting, however, I was not prepared to experiment for a more than likely expensive failure.
    Yep my brain came to much the same conclusion after a months holiday at Christmas!

Update from the latest offshore round.
    This is the biggest one of the year held at Lake Taupo, our biggest lake in NZ. With a SW breeze the back of the course was rough, like two foot rough and the rest of the course not much better except the first turn which is a little sheltered. I was so cruising on throttle due to the water conditions so much that I only used 50% of the battery for a 20 min race. All up there were two 20 min heats and a 40 min, reduced from 60 mins due to time. I could have done 60 mins on only two sets of batts instead of three. I think the boat spent more time above the water instead of on it! Buried it in a few times too!
    I managed 118 laps for 5th place overall out of 19 boats. Not too bad being the only electric boat up against all petrol boats that are bigger and have much more power. Only 1 lap behind 4th place and the winner did 147 laps.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter A View Post
    Had the first offshore regatta on Saturday, 100 mins of racing. 2 x 20 min heats and 1 x 1 hour race. I did 131 laps, the winner did 157. I managed 5th overall in a field of 10 boats.
    On Sunday, another regatta and I managed second in a 20 min race with 37 laps, the winner did 41. Not too bad racing against bigger petrol boats that are mostly faster and have way more hp.

Attachment 158780Attachment 158781

I had two unscheduled stops on Saturday, once when a plug came loose on the esc, left me dead in the water, of course someone had to run over the top of me on the front strait didn't they! Have a battle scar now! The second time I rolled upside down, when the rescue boat went out and turned me back over and I continued, well... Now some want a new rule to stop that from happening again. Gassers!!
    Hello Peter,

boats are not turned back in our races, the safety loop is disconnected and the boat is brought back to the dock by the rescue boat. We do not have flood chamber, it is not permitted.

are people thinking about going electric around you? for our 24h race, I think a FE boat is needed to win ...

Vincent

Quote Originally Posted by Brushman View Post
    Hello Peter,

boats are not turned back in our races, the safety loop is disconnected and the boat is brought back to the dock by the rescue boat. We do not have flood chamber, it is not permitted.

are people thinking about going electric around you? for our 24h race, I think a FE boat is needed to win ...

Vincent
    Hi Vincent
    I have come to the conclusion, from experience so far, that it is better if the boat is brought back to check before continuing. Despite a safety loop, on all electric boats, they hardly ever get pulled when boats are picked up. Perhaps a bit of education required (maybe too many petrol fumes for some) or it will take an 'incident' for most to realise why they are there!

There is one guy interested in going electric, I may end up selling this boat to him as I am building a new boat for next year. A build thread will be started when I am further through the build.

Hello Peter,

I think you will make a bigger boat? are 12 S allowed?
    the winning boats are running 56-58mm motors with 400-450 kV, 12s 16000, Seaking 130HV, 60-65mm prop. 22-25lbs. these setups will give you 45-50 mph speed and 20-25 minutes, with 10- 20% left in the batteries. No turn fins (or little), no flaps. Gassers wil not like, because you will be on the podium at every race...

Vincent

Hello Peter,

the winning boats are running 56-58mm motors with 400-450 kV, 12s 16000, Seaking 130HV, 60-65mm prop. 22-25lbs. these setups will give you 45-50 mph speed and 20-25 minutes, with 10- 20% left in the batteries. No turn fins (or little), no flaps. Gassers wil not like, because you will be on the podium at every race...

Vincent
    Next years boat
    20180730_123036.jpg

46" hull, will stay with 10s next year as I do not have the budget for more batteries, but it can upgrade. Leo 5692 540kv, SK130 HV (I am already using one), no trim tabs as COG can be set well with battery placement, turn fins- only as big as needed, adjustable stinger. This hull has been in our club from new and I am the 4th owner, It is needing a bit of work to clean up and convert from a gasser but it is a good hull and should be the ticket. I may upgrade to 12s setup as the money allows, but that will be another $1k or so to spend.

Well, we had a 4 hour endurance race on Saturday. It is a teams event and I had a team with two gas boats, 'cause there are no other leckies doing this yet. Sadly the gassers were not too reliable and as one of the team is in a wheelchair and the other has gammy knees, I was the person who got to do all the rescuing. Man that was hard work, especially after I had done 20 mins and ended up struggling to get time to get batteries back on charge! Anyways my boat went great, didn't need any rescues, until...just one more lap, with 1/2 hour to go, and a swap of boats and then I stopped. The other two boats had come right and were going well, until ten minutes later a snapped shaft put one out, and then the failsafe in the other developed an issue and kept cutting out, so with about 15 mins to go we had three dead boats! My motor had disintegrated the end bearing and the motor is toast! I knew I should have put some new bearings in last week!!
    Any how we took 3rd from four teams and 2nd place only beat us by one lap! Beaten by Dumb and Dumber - that is what they actually called their team!
    Well that's this boat done for the year, not too bad with only two club days to go. I will have to get on with getting the new boat ready for next year now. Overall it has been a blast running endurance with electric, and it really is fun running for 20 mins at a time. Looking forward to doing this again next year, and possibly this boat may be competing in the hands of another...

Here's a couple of pics of the damage.

20181014_161417.jpg20181014_163655.jpg20181014_163706.jpg

I’d say a fairly successful season Peter. You’ve done well. It’s been great to witness from afar. Thank you, Shawn

Thanks Shawn.
    It is not the normal with FE to have such long runs, and reliability, but it awesome and doable. If you can put up with 45mph, (slow for many I know) you can bash around for 20 mins easy, sort of like gas or nitro, but without the mess and noise!
    It would be even easier done where parts, especially batteries are more readily available. On the down side HobbyKing seem to have discontinued the 20 AH packs. It may mean going to 12s setups after next year, no biggie really.

Yup it is coming along. I have a 40” AC Boats Lazer that runs 8s Thru twin TP 4030’s and I can pull off 9-10 mins runtime on 9000mah @ 45’ish. Not the stretch you are doing but not bad. Kinda known to be a wet running hull.

So what hull is on the block for next year?

Next years boat is the one in post #41. It is an AB Marine 46" mono that has been in our club since new. The website has vanished but there is still a FB page. The guy (Tony) has gone dark on a lot of boaters in NZ. Personally we don't get along either, but the hulls are good. I am up to prep and prime on the boat before getting it painted, then I will fit it out, the plan is to do that over the Christmas break. I will do a build thread when I am further along.

How did I skim over #41. Nice.

I haven't updated this one for a while! Anyway I am still running the Osprey in our Offshore series. Last year my best was 5th place in a field of 19 boats in really rough water, rough as in 2 foot waves!
    This year the boat is running a 12s setup with a TP 4070 440kv motor and Prather 245 prop.

The first two regattas of the year saw a 4th place out of 10, and just this last Saturday I managed 2nd out of a field of 13. I am totally stoked with the result as this is the smallest boat and the only electric against bigger gassers. I am not as fast as some, but electric has some advantages, mosty being less stoppages and rescues.

Excellent Peter.

I am not as fast as some, but electric has some advantages, mosty being less stoppages and rescues.[/QUOTE]

Hello, exactly!

4 electric boats participated to this year 24h enduro race, and they did 1st and last was 6th!
    -gassers can still beat electrics because they have enough gas, 1 hour, between refill but they have to work on less stoppages!

congratulations for your results, the Osprey is not the best hull but you did well!

Vincent

Thanks Shawn and Vincent.
    Vincent you are correct that the Osprey is not the best hull, but others, well most are hard to get here without forking out a lot of coin for shipping. I can get Deltaforce hulls no problem, and at a reasonable price, However I would really like either a Aeromarine Challenger 43, or a Dumas Scarab 45", or even an Apache or Cigarette hull around the 43-45" size.
    BTW are Aeromarine still in business, people tell me they aren't?
    I have a Dumas Scarab 30" hull that I have been thinking of measuring and scaling up to around 43", because that goes really well at around 55-60 kph with a basically 'spec' set up in it and would be awesome if it was 50% bigger! Then again I don't have a lot of desire to build any new boat atm, I have a Pursuit to strip down and tidy and repaint, and the Osprey will need doing at the end of this year, it is a little battered about now. It got run over (again!) by a 58" Apache on Saturday, but the bigger boat sustained more damage!

Also I knew the 24hr had been run but had not seen any results (obvious ones, I hadn't really searched for them). Great to hear that the 'leckies' won again. Still battling some anti attitudes here, including being told, in an email, by the NZMPBA Treasurer, that he is "sick of my persistence with electrics", and, "he and others would be happy if I left model boating"! Gets a bit discouraging at times.

Well we just had our biggest yearly offshore meet at Lake Taupo (New Zealand's biggest lake). I didn't go so well this year, the water was really rough and the Osprey was sort of half boat, half submarine, even diving under and staying down for a good minute or so! I ended up with a broken steering servo mount in the second heat so scratched for the rest of the day, a bit disappointing but that is racing. It really was real concentrating racing in that water.
    On the plus side I was pitman for one of my clubbies, who is finally back running offshore after giving up with his old nitro a couple of years back, and he won by a big margin of laps. So it was still a good day.
    While the Osprey is really good in calm and mildy rough water (6-12" chop), over that it really struggles. So depending on whether I am going to spend up large on new batteries I think I will be looking to go with a proper deep V hull next year. My winning clubmate has a few moulds that I will have a look at.

Well that sucks!! But learn as we go eh? Umm perhaps the Watersnake hull or something like that? Just a thought for you. I’m going to build it’s little brother (the Rapide) this winter. Sleek V hull for waves.

Hi Shawn
    I have yet to decide if it is worth the time/cost of firstly building a new boat, and secondly if I will have the budget for more batteries. They cost me around $300 NZ each and I will possibly need 4. As much as I do enjoy doing the offshore, it is a lot of money for what is realistically for races a year. I can keep what I have just for club stuff as we do a 20 min race on club days. We shall have to see as we want to buy a house next year as well and need to save for that. I still have a bunch of boats to use and a JAE 33 to build as well as tidy and repaint the Osprey.
    If I can find a decent mould here I might just lay up something and set up a boat and test it anyways, but with no rush on it.

Quote Originally Posted by srislash View Post
    Well that sucks!! But learn as we go eh? Umm perhaps the Watersnake hull or something like that? Just a thought for you. I’m going to build it’s little brother (the Rapide) this winter. Sleek V hull for waves.

Hello,

do not go with the Watersnake, this hull is only good for straights...

Hello Peter,

Vincent
    HI Vincent
    Can you expound a little more on these setups? Motor 56/58 x?, what kv? ATM I can do 20 min from 12s 20000 mah with the 4070 440 kv motor on a Prather 245. That is a full throttle for 20 mins, although I don't like to go below 20 min. Speed is 65-70 kph. I would really like to get 70-80 kph with the same current draw or less but fail to see how unless I am not running full throttle.
    I could use my 45" hull to do this with just the right prop and motor potentially and 16000 mah packs which would fit the current configuration.

Hello Peter,

this is difficult to help you, as you are not running the same circuit as we do. You should try first to simulate our 24h circuit which can make 450-500 meter and see what is your runtime. Just check some video's.
    You can play with propellers by using a K propeller from Graupner , a K60 or a K63 will not load the motor too much. 70Km/h and 25 minutes runtime with the 20000 mah /10/15% left in the batteries should be possible. Going 80 with 20 minutes runtime on 16000 is for experts, and I never did that kind of performance. Some competitors are ready to spend 50 hours of practice to find the right motor, right prop, hull tuning to get these 3-4 extra minutes and 5-10 Km/h extra but I do not want to empty my wallet and I like to travel during my hollydays..

Vincent

I found yesterday that TP has a 5660 motor at 440kv 6 pole. Might be one to give a try. After a bit of thinking I might go back to the 45" hull I have rather than go through the time and expense of building a new boat. It was the original plan anyway. It will not take much to change over to it, a few small internal adjustments is all from it's current set up. But not until later in September after our next two lap and oval winter regattas. Might put the Osprey back to 6S as I have a motor and it runs really well with that setup also. I can run the 45 at our 4 hour enduro in October.

Any suggestions for setting up electronic to my 55? cat twin motor to go 60-90 mph? It?s a hand build fiberglass

Quote Originally Posted by Turbotaz View Post
    Any suggestions for setting up electronic to my 55? cat twin motor to go 60-90 mph? It?s a hand build fiberglass
    With a twin the two motors can help each other load wise, and you can easily get 60+ mph depending on how is your setup. If however you want long runtimes 15-20 min, then your speed goals go down to the 40-50 mph range. Currently I am not doing endurance anymore. I still have my 45" mono with the endurance setup. With a K60 prop and 12s 6000 mah I can get 8 min runtime at 60 kph. I think you need to rethink your actual goals and what you want to achieve and enjoy the most, speed or runtime. Just my 0.02.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast