Thread: TPP timing setup

Default TPP timing setup

Hey All, just dropped a TPP 4050, 2310kv in my hydro to explore the possibility of setting up for P Sport. It’s a DF Vortex 34 Hydro. I’ve been running 8s on a Leopard 4074, 1050kv as a sport boat. I now have the provision to easily wire between 8s and 4s. The TPP is a 5D winding. I have never ran a TP and set the timing at 2 degrees. I’ve got a smaller prop on it, ABC 1715-17-45 since this will spin a few thousand RPM’s faster than the 8s setup. What do you think about the 2 degree setting? Also, does NAMBA restrict the battery size in P Limited and if so, what is the spec? Thanks!

2 degrees is a good call Craig, sometimes you can get up to 5 on a D but I haven’t tried it.
    Race limitations are out of my feild of concern. Lol

D motors 0 to 4 degrees timing

NAMBA "P" Sport Hydro
    Max hull length -34"
    MAX mAh =10,000 on board. = two 4S-5,000 in parallel or two 2S-10,000 in series

Also read the rules on hull spec's for EL Sport Hydro's here: section #28
    http://namba.com/content/library/rul...a_rulebook.pdf

Larry
    Past NAMBA- P Mono -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Past NAMBA- P Sport -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Bump & Grind Racing Props -We Like Em Smooth & Wet

Thanks guys... Looks like it’s a legal hull, but my smallest 2s batts are 5200mah and I’m running a 2s/2p setup for weight distribution. So I need like 4800-5000... this boat is heavy, 11.6lbs, so energy capacity is a bit of a concern... What are most guys running?

There is no power advantage between 0* and 5* advance with Delta wind motors, just extra heat. I assume you are running 4S 5200 mAh power. If you are running six laps on a 1/6th mile course, 5200 mAh will not be enough, especially with that hot motor.

I ran a TP 4050/1950 motor in my Vortex and used 6600 mAh packs, this left me with just over 25% remaining in the packs after a full race heat.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Jay, yes I have ran 5200mah packs as the smallest. But I didn’t set up a course close to spec, so I need to do that and see if I can hot lap 6 circuits and see what’s left... I’ve been running the boat on 8s and capacity hasn’t been an issue. I got some big 8000mah packs, and in 8s configuration with a M445 it’s getting just about 6 minutes with 25% left. Close to 8 minutes with a ABC 1715-17-45 on it.

I tried the boat with 2, 4s packs but the weight distribution went to hell and I lost a lot of good cornering in race water. I just went back to 4, 2S packs with them laid out horizontal out into the sponson wells on each side. The 4s packs were too thick to put them where I wanted due to limited height under the deck at that spot, just behind where the hatch opening begins. Attached a pic for reference, the motor is removed.

So I should just set timing at 0 and forget about that... I’ll do that.
    Attached Images Attached Images

And yeah, the kv is higher than I like... That 1050kv motor on 8s has been sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by TRUCKPULL View Post
    D motors 0 to 4 degrees timing

NAMBA "P" Sport Hydro
    Max hull length -34"
    MAX mAh =10,000 on board. = two 4S-5,000 in parallel or two 2S-10,000 in series

Also read the rules on hull spec's for EL Sport Hydro's here: section #28
    http://namba.com/content/library/rul...a_rulebook.pdf

Larry
    Thanks a Larry, that’s a hell of a book there! As Jay noted and what I’ve been concerned about, that batt mah limit might be a death nail for me as far as racing is concerned... That’s a bummer...

Craig

For your setup of four 2S packs, 2 in series on each side then those pairs in parallel.

If each pack is 5,000 mAh then your good, two 4S packs in parallel = 10,000 mAh on board.

If that is too heavy, four 3,600 mAh packs would give you 4S - 7,200 mAh total.

In my "P" sport I run two 4S -5,000mAh packs in parallel. (I need the weight)

Larry

Yes Larry, me to... The concern is (and I’ll have to test) is can the boat, at 11.6lbs, run the race on 10,000mah? That’s why I went with 8s in the sport boat config and get decent run time, but the smallest pack was 5200 each, for 10,400 total.

I need the weight so bad I’m even running hard shell cases to bring some more weight to the table. And, there’s not a lot of batts at 5000mah with a decent C rate. Oscar in Dallas told me that the limit was imposed for insurance requirements...

Craig I get my race packs here;

https://www.mojoracingproducts.com/

Graphene 2.0 -70C - 140C LiPo Batteries

Larry

What makers are you looking at? 5000 is the defacto large LiPo size.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

Hey Paul, I’ve been buying much larger packs because I’ve been just sport boating, 7200 and 8000. I’ve been running these Speedzone packs and they hold up real well. I tried the Turnigy 4s packs I bought from Larry, but as talked about earlier, it messed up my weight distribution.

Larry, I’ll check that link out! Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post
    There is no power advantage between 0* and 5* advance with Delta wind motors, just extra heat. I assume you are running 4S 5200 mAh power. If you are running six laps on a 1/6th mile course, 5200 mAh will not be enough, especially with that hot motor.

I ran a TP 4050/1950 motor in my Vortex and used 6600 mAh packs, this left me with just over 25% remaining in the packs after a full race heat.

I got 10,000mah, 2 packs in series at 5000 and another 2 packs in parallel, a total of 4 batteries in the boat. I got that wrong, it’s double what I was thinking... looks like I can pull 180a for 150 seconds, and leave about 25%. It runs the batts hard, that’s for sure!