Thread: How to clean out smoke smell?

Default How to clean out smoke smell?

So it finally happened that I smoked an ESC. The inside of the hull is covered in smelly soot. What is the most effective cleaner or solvent. Right now, I don't even want to leave it in the garage. Yuk.
    Ron - The Villages, FL

https://castawaysboatworx.org/

MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

I've used alcohol before, different types of soap, even nail polish remover. I tried all this on one hull and it took most of the smell away but it still lingered. then I tried just alcohol as it seem it was better than soap and then I put some car wax and some car cleaner stuff to see if that would do something. I left it on overnight and then applied alcohol the next morning. Again, the smell was there but this time not as strong. I can actually say it was subtle but was there. I did this several times over a few weeks and it finally went away.

I wonder once the initial clean-up and treatment is done if something like febreeze would knock out the remainder.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    I wonder once the initial clean-up and treatment is done if something like febreeze would knock out the remainder.
    I actually tried that and yes the smell seems to be gone but it does comeback. However, I only applied it like twice. Perhaps multiple applications might have better results but I know Febreeze doesn't last long as I use it around the house. Ryan, maybe we should push some of our cheaper escs over their limits to see what else could work. LOL

Brake cleaner.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

Quote Originally Posted by NativePaul View Post
    Brake cleaner.
    I am going to try that next, thanks. On day one, I have made a lot of progress. Scrubbed twice with lemon scent Simple Green and ScotchBtite pad.. After dry, scoured with Scrubbing Bubbles cream (with abrasive), rinsed and dried. Wiped down twice with denatured alcohol, still left a film. Wiped worst spots with straight acetone, which worked on some of the residue. So, I'm thinking that the brake cleaner will finish the job. It's pretty good so far, but I'll report back after the brake cleaner.
    Ron - The Villages, FL

when not using it throw a few dryer sheets in it and put the lid on .
    volantex vector pro ,proboat veles 29 , traxxas spartan, hobbyking/tfl pursuit ,ft009 with rescue rigging

Quote Originally Posted by boatsrnew2me View Post
    when not using it throw a few dryer sheets in it and put the lid on .
    Carb cleaner for the initial clean up. Then I put a couple of dryer sheets along with some peppermint oil on cotton balls in the boat and left the hatch on when it wasn't in use and that done the trick for me when a 60 amp AQ ESC decided it was time to explode....
    TFL Zonda (124mph), Miss Geico Zelos 36 (108mph), Veles 29 (91mph), Zelos Twin 36 (90mph), Miss Geico 29v3 (83.5mph), Sonicwake 36 V2 (83mph), Blackjack 42 (81mph), TFL Pursuit (79mph), UL-19 (75mph), Sonicwake 36 (73mph), Motley Crew (47.5mph), AquaCraft Rescue 17

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    I am going to try that next, thanks. On day one, I have made a lot of progress. Scrubbed twice with lemon scent Simple Green and ScotchBtite pad.. After dry, scoured with Scrubbing Bubbles cream (with abrasive), rinsed and dried. Wiped down twice with denatured alcohol, still left a film. Wiped worst spots with straight acetone, which worked on some of the residue. So, I'm thinking that the brake cleaner will finish the job. It's pretty good so far, but I'll report back after the brake cleaner.
    Oops, now you have abraded it, I doubt it can be wiped off the surface with any chemical, as it will be inside all of those abrasions. There was a guy on here that resorted to giving his hull another coat of epoxy on the inside to lock in the stink.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    So it finally happened that I smoked an ESC. The inside of the hull is covered in smelly soot. What is the most effective cleaner or solvent. Right now, I don't even want to leave it in the garage. Yuk.
    A liberal application of denatured alcohol works the best. Try it.

Awesome cleaner removes the smell and soot very well.
    it is also great stuff for other cleaning jobs.
    you can get it at most dollar stores.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Great idea. Awesome cleaner is good stuff. Never thought about using it for that.

Citrus hand cleaner eats the smell but it's a pain.
    Noisy person

I used it to clean up this hull I bought.
    https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com...highlight=MG29

Quote Originally Posted by revoltrunner View Post
    I used it to clean up this hull I bought.
    https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com...highlight=MG29
    Looks like you painted the inside after the cleanup.
    Ron - The Villages, FL

yes I did. it was very clean when I painted it though.

Denatured alcohol did the trick for me.

Shortly after that incident, the ESC in my Shockwave decided to become a smoke bomb as well. I guess the stock 45A ESC's that were in these boats couldn't handle the 2000kv motors we were using or at least for long anyway.

Went to Lowe's, bought a quart of denatured alcohol and cleaned my boat and everything in it. Looks almost like a new hull with just a trace of the smoke smell. In fact I had a spare 60A ESC and steering servo, yes it actually took out the steering servo when it smoked. I actually had the boat back in the water in running condition in about 22 hours. I was going to try some heavy duty cleaner they had until I read on the label that it will attack plastics and make them brittle. This stuff would probably work on a fiberglass hull but definitely not for an ABS plastic one.
    Current boats
    Aquacraft Cajun Commander, Aquacraft Mini Alligator Tours - brushless, ProBoat Blackjack 9, ProBoat Impulse 9, ProBoat Recoil 17, ProBoat Blackjack 24, ProBoat Shockwave 26 BL V3