Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Considering another build and wanted your opinion on a hull...

Default Considering another build and wanted your opinion on a hull...

Definitly going with another cat with a carbon fiber hull, and am trying to decide between the Zonda and the Fighter Cat. The FC I'm looking at is 34 inches, and the Zondas come in 39 & 41 inch sizes or so it seems. Boats purpose will be sport running, nothing organized, and speed runs. I'm just curious which hull is more durable? I wouldn't shy away from making structural improvements before a build up. Although this project is a ways down the road, I am interested in your thoughts please. I also keep an eye on the classifieds so would like to be informed in the event anything comes along. Thanks to all.

PS:edited to add I'm not really interested in one of the more exotic hull manufacturers as cost is always a consideration.

I would go with the 39” Zonda from DYmotorshop. Layup is good and strong.

And have have a FighterCat Fantasm (Zonda) at 41” and I got it up over 100 easily

There’s not many choices out there, is there?
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Thanks sirslash, one vote for the Zonda. No kfxguy, there aren't, at least not in my price range.

There are a lot of nice hulls in the 40”+ range. Wish I could talk my pal Andy into cranking a few of his smaller sized hulls out.

I like the zonda too. Just depends on if your wanting a twin or a single and how much turning you want to do.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Ive got 2 cats now that are both single as well as a mono single. Perhaps twins is in order?

This is the same hull as Fantasm just a tad shorter. A friend just got one and said it had a good layup with decent meat in transom areas: http://www.dymotorshop.com/index.php...roducts_id=369

I think they had free shipping too, don’t quote me on that tho.

Thanks srislash, these guys have the same hull for 350.00 http://www.tobsd.com/ViewDetails.aspx?ProductID=983
    Or so it seems. Both shipping from China as well.

FWIW, people here on OSE have ordered from Dymotorshop and received the hulls relatively quickly. I have never heard of TOBSD.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

I bought my rigger hull from TOBSD. It took about a month to arrive but came packaged well with no damage. The guy was a little late with answering emails but overall I was pleased. I will say the layup was pretty thin but it was easily stiffened up with some cloth. Can't speak for the cat hulls.

Thanks guys. I'm in no rush, and am honestly hoping something comes across in the Classifieds. I just want to know if the Zonda is a sturdier piece than the FC. Im open for other suggestions as well. Thank you.

Go with the TFL carbon Fiber genesis hull that OSE sells. You can ask Steve when they will be back in stock. I have seen that hull in fiberglass run in the high 80's on single power.

I remember Big Fords Genesis and that it was very tight in the hull, sort of a pita to get his hands into. I realize narrow is good for speed, but I like a little more beam.
    Last edited by Linewbie; 02-23-2018 at 12:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Linewbie View Post
    Thanks guys. I'm in no rush, and am honestly hoping something comes across in the Classifieds. I just want to know if the Zonda is a sturdier piece than the FC. Im open for other suggestions as well. Thank you.
    I doubt you’ll find a FighterCat anything, not new anyway. Unfortunately they are gone. It was TFL product though so same thing is still out there.
    The Zonda seems to be fine strength wise. I have been working with a fella in Belize for awhile now and his is getting near the century mark for speed. It is holding out well.
    So you are thinking bare hull or ARTR?
    I could give you a couple small easy structural recommendations if you decide on one. This depends on the demands you will put on it tho. You may not need anything.

Another option that is simply a treat to work on with it large hatch opening
    https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pr...prod=df-Cat-36

Kind of a dihedral design but a bit wider than a Genisis(which BTW has all kinds of rude driving characteristics).

MarineFe claims to have them in stock, heres the link if you are interested;
    https://marinefe.com/product/100-car...hter-cat-hull/

Im thinking a build up from a bare hull. In no rush, so I can take my time. Maybe score parts in the Classifieds along the way. Leaning towards twins, but that will be decided later on. Although I've never worked with cf, I dont have a problem making mods to the hull. Just going to be a runner looking to go as fast as I can reliably, w/o trashing it all.

I remember Big Fords Genesis and that it was very tight in the hull, sort of a pita to get his hands into. I realize narrow is good for speed, but I like a little more beam.
    I think only problem area is by the rudder mounting. It was snug in my River cat but I set the bind nuts into resin and now you can remove the rudder simply by removing the screws. It is an easy get around.

I just had a ball aching bad time with the Apparation. Same problem, I went from the inside out with the Allen screws holding the rudder assembly on. Not about to do all that again.

I forgot about Sandy at Marine FE. I’d go the Cheetah.

You use bind nuts and trim one side down, then needle nose pliers to hold one of the points as they go in backwards spikes facing towards the front. You use antiseize on the screw then snug them up and pour in the resin. Once it is set up you remove the screws and the bind nuts are locked in easy peasy. all you gotta do is ask

Long Allen key held the screws while the nuts went on the outside. Not as pretty, but functional.
    Yea srislash, Chetttah over Zonda. Lots of drag on that wide hull, no? Seems the Zonda, at least dimension wise would be the happy medium between the too skinny Genesis, and the Cheetah.

Why don't you grab the HPR 99 that was just listed in the For Sale category?

Ive got about 1000 reasons why I cant.

Quote Originally Posted by srislash View Post
    This is the same hull as Fantasm just a tad shorter. A friend just got one and said it had a good layup with decent meat in transom areas: http://www.dymotorshop.com/index.php...roducts_id=369

I think they had free shipping too, don’t quote me on that tho.
    DYMotorshop has a new owner. Bill Oxidean. Saw something pop up about that recently on FB.
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

I just had a ball aching bad time with the Apparation. Same problem, I went from the inside out with the Allen screws holding the rudder assembly on. Not about to do all that again.
    A couple of months ago my son and I went through a similar episode with a small Sega cat. We made up a 0.250" aluminium plate drilled and tapped to take the rudder mount screws. The plate was bonded inside the transom, making it a breeze to disassemble the rudder at any time when needed.

Quote Originally Posted by rayray9 View Post
    I recently purchased two Arowana 32" mono bare hulls from the eBay store of this seller (far cheaper than buying retail through the store if he has the item listed on eBay). Shipping was expensive but then I only paid $40.00 usd for each hull. The quality of the build and finish is excellent although the hulls are not very thick. After a carbon inlay the hulls have stiffened up very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter A View Post
    DYMotorshop has a new owner. Bill Oxidean. Saw something pop up about that recently on FB.
    I saw something pop up too, it was an email from the real owner of DYMotorshop asking someone else why everyone keeps emailing him about Bill Oxidean.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Ryan...

Lol, mmm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast