Thread: Vintage Graupner Tornado Hydro build from NIB need opinions on what to do.

Default Vintage Graupner Tornado Hydro build from NIB need opinions on what to do.

So this is my next vintage FE boat build a Graupner Tornado Hydro. This was my third real RC boat I got back in the day, I purchased it for myself on my 16th birthday. I think I only ran it once and then traded for RC buggy stuff. I found this one with drive system NIB awhile back on Ebay, it also came with the optional Pink decal set. So what I want to hear opinions on is should I build it vintage stock, vintage modified (like my Fire hawk), or convert it to modern brush-less? I have a 540 size brush-less motor and ESC that came with my Fire Hawk that I removed (not sure what KV the motor is) and I also have a vintage Trinity Triad 9 Turn brushed motor I could use. Very small light hydro.

DSCN2947.jpgDSCN2948.jpgDSCN2949.jpgDSCN2950.jpg

I'm starting the build!! It will be the vintage Triad 9 turn with vintage ESC running on 7 cell NIMH with new 2.4 radio gear, no way to shoehorn in the brushless motor I have with the cooling can. According to the plans I will not even be able to fit a cooling coil around the brushed motor, this thing is tight! Got to love the Full Scale Plans in German and just text instructions in four languages! Got the plans hung up on the window in my office/hobby room LOL!

DSCN3002.jpgDSCN3003.jpgDSCN3004.jpg

All done! New 2.4 radio system with a Tower servo, vintage Trinity Triad 9T with a new vintage Novak 610RV ESC. It came out good, the decal sheet bubbled and wrinkled in some areas do to age but I got them pretty straight when applying them. The windshield and tunnel decals were unusable so I just used black paint for that.

DSCN3005.jpgDSCN3006.jpgDSCN3007.jpgDSCN3008.jpgDSCN3009.jpg

I raced one of the first Tornados back in the 90s. Ran on 8 cells and an Astro 05 motor with a 0.098” flex cable. It was a good racer for its time, especially since my club at the time used Le Mans starts. Everyone else ran traditional widebody hydros; the deep prop at rest always gave me the hole shot at the start. And it held its own in speed.

That 9-turn motor may be a bit much for 7 cells, what prop are you planning to use?

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post
    I raced one of the first Tornados back in the 90s. Ran on 8 cells and an Astro 05 motor with a 0.098” flex cable. It was a good racer for its time, especially since my club at the time used Le Mans starts. Everyone else ran traditional widebody hydros; the deep prop at rest always gave me the hole shot at the start. And it held its own in speed.

That 9-turn motor may be a bit much for 7 cells, what prop are you planning to use?

Right now it just has the stock Graupner drive system and prop. I do also have 2 Astro 05 motors in my box of vintage goodies.

Cool

You might want to prop down a bit from stock, the amp draw with the big prop may overwhelm the ESC and motor. Besides the Astro we also ran 12-14 turn car motors, the 9T is an awfully ‘hot’ motor, especially without water cooling.

If I was building one today (and didn’t want a vintage build) I’d use a 28x60 or similar-sized brushless motor with a Kv between 4000 and 4500 on 2S1P/3000 or similar LiPos and an x432 prop with a 0.125” cable. This should fit easily in the narrow hull and not overpower the boat. But I like what the OP is doing too.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post
    You might want to prop down a bit from stock, the amp draw with the big prop may overwhelm the ESC and motor. Besides the Astro we also ran 12-14 turn car motors, the 9T is an awfully ‘hot’ motor, especially without water cooling.

If I was building one today (and didn’t want a vintage build) I’d use a 28x60 or similar-sized brushless motor with a Kv between 4000 and 4500 on 2S1P/3000 or similar LiPos and an x432 prop with a 0.125” cable. This should fit easily in the narrow hull and not overpower the boat. But I like what the OP is doing too.

Thank you! I really appreciate your advice! I really only ran my boats back in the day stock (except for the Firehawk) and your experience with the old and new boats is very helpful! I don't want to burn up this vintage 610RV ESC. I have a bunch of Graupner props but I will have to look and see if any are smaller. Should I put one of my 12-14 turn motors in it? Or run it on 6 cells with the 9 turn? Or put one of my Astro's in it, but how many cells on that? I put a picture of the Astro's I have, they are plane versions and not the Turbo 05 RC car version. The Astro's only have one run on them.

DSCN3014.jpgDSCN3015.jpgDSCN3016.jpg

hello,

Fluid is right, a 9 turn will burn or the ESC before the Tornado goes on plane. on 7 cells , I would put a 18-20 turns and a X432 detoungued. I would not put 7 sub cells Nimh, this is too heavy. try to fing GP 2200 Nimh cells : https://static2.tme.eu//products_pic...1b56/10189.jpg

if you don't cool the can and the brushes, you can expect 1 minute run before smoking something...
    I understand you want to use vintage parts, but your setup will not work. May be the Astro is usable, not sure the ESC will survive.
    I would go brushless, lipos, this is much easier..

I owned a tornado, with a 23 turns, 9 x 1700 NiCd cells, astro esc , k36 prop. Speed was 50-60km/h, 3-4 minutes runs

You guys were right. The first try back in July with the 9T and 7 cell Nimh it did not get on plane and the motor got so hot the solder came off the motor wires. Luckily I did not burn the motor or ESC. So I put a Tamiya Sport Tuned motor in it and ran it today with that motor, Novak 610RV ESC, 7 Cell Nimh and stock prop, it jumps on plane and runs really good! The Tamiya motor was 110 degrees on my temp gun at the end of the run with no water cooling (but really hot to touch), is that too high? The ESC was cool to the touch. I am happy with it, it turns and handles great! It's not a speed demon but that's what my Zonda is for.

That sounds great. I used to love the Graupners, built a Portifino and a Systems Cat. Built up a Firehawk too back then., great looking boat!

Default Tornado

nice!

I see that this tamiya motor is a 23 turns, this is safe but 110 ° is way too much for the magnets and the motor in general, you should try to water cool it: https://static.rcgroups.net/forums/a...g?d=1265839426

Which 7cells NimH pack are you using?

Thanks srislash! I think I will try and squeeze a cooling coil on it. Brushman in that picture is that brass tubing soldered to the motor lead tabs? Venom 3000MAH NIMH battery.

Quote Originally Posted by emspjay View Post
    Thanks srislash! I think I will try and squeeze a cooling coil on it. Brushman in that picture is that brass tubing soldered to the motor lead tabs? Venom 3000MAH NIMH battery.
    yes, they are soldered to the motor lead tab. If you want to get more speed, use your Nimh right after charging them, they should be hot to deliver a good voltage.

Ah, the old days, haha. Actually lipos prefer to be warm too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brushman View Post
    yes, they are soldered to the motor lead tab. If you want to get more speed, use your Nimh right after charging them, they should be hot to deliver a good voltage.

Quote Originally Posted by srislash View Post
    Ah, the old days, haha. Actually lipos prefer to be warm too.

yes for the lipo, to gain some tenths of a volt on a pack, but for a Nimh, it can be volts at high currents!

Ran again today, motor super hot again. I accidentally clipped my boat hoist and popped the rear wing off, luckily it floated. Managed to get a cooling coil on the motor and with the wing off it made it easier to mount the water pickup. This thing is so small it's a pain to work on.

DSCN3322.jpgDSCN3323.jpg

Hello,

you should recenter the cooling coil, you are obturing the motor vents. A longer coil would be more adequate. Your water pickup will add drag, you shoull raise it, the water will not flow all the time but only when you will slow down . On a hydro you, you should use the water propstream of the upper blade and direct it on a bent tube connected to the water circuitry. https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...39589225393480