Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Had an interesting experience

Default Had an interesting experience

I was using a leopard 4092 1730kv in my revolt and ran up to 55mph on 5s with a m545.

I was hoping to get my boat in the 60's on 5s, so I bought a tp 4060 1950kv, and I tried different cells counts to see how it differ from the leopard.

I tried 3s first, I got 32 on GPS, with the leopard 1730 4092 I was getting 33mph on 3s, with a 2080kv 4092 leopard I was getting 37mph on 3s.

So I leopards prove to be faster on 3s.

On 4s the tp 4060 1950 did 40mph, the 1730 leopard was doing 42mph. Didn't gps the 2080 4092 with the same setup but based on other test I know its a little faster than the 1730kv on 4s.

So this has though me that the leopard is a little more powerful than the tp.

Basically same size motors all 4092 cans.

To be fair, I hardly doubt you ran and checked gps then averaged your numbers out. Because as we know, a lot of variables come into play with rc boating.
    To just say that one motor is better or faster than another because of a gps reading is a little silly. What were temps? How long did you run each? What were water conditions? All that stuff man

Other members here have done much more in depth testing and found TP to be more desirable. Either way, leopard motors have always done well for me. No complaints
    There's a hole at the center of earth where the rest of the world sinks but i stand still...

The motor temperature was good on all the motors, the leopards and tp.

I find once all connections are properly soldered the motor temperature will be good.

The water those really load up the motor in my area so the motor with the most torque will be the fastest.

In my area an aquacraft 1800 will get you mid 30 at best on with a m545, a x442 on 4s and the aquacraft will get you around 28 to 29mph in a proboat impulse and aquacraft revolt.

The above speeds can be expected with good lipos, good electrical connection, smooth run drive.

Speed will be less if your setup isn't good.

That's to give you an idea how the water load up the motors.

All speeds above are based on GPS recorded speeds.

So it so happen that the leopard has more torque than the tp that's why its faster.

Mind you I am not saying the tp is not a good motor, it is seems to be much better quality construction wise over the leopard.

The tp is much harder to turn by hand than the leopard, I was expecting atleast 5 to 6mph faster from the tp considering higher kV, stronger magnets but I was shock with the results.

Wait, now I remember you. You’re the guy who comes here posting all sorts of ridiculous stuff and disregarding what anyone has to say.
    Good luck with whatever man. I’m not getting. Sucked into this one.

Have a good one
    There's a hole at the center of earth where the rest of the world sinks but i stand still...

https://youtu.be/ITN06FWl_mA tp on 4s first video

https://youtu.be/Y1KKagEKY9I leopard 4092 1730kv on 5s m545

Stronger magnets ( cogging )does not mean a more power full motor, some of the most power full motors ie Lehner have hardly any cogging.

Agreed. The strength of the cog is not related to torque output at all. It’s just the coil/rotor combination being used.

Finally get to GPS the leopard 4092 2080kv on 4s with the 545. The GPS said 45.8mph.

These leopards are way more powerful than the tp. I am running 15 degree timing and everything super cool. Connectors, ESC capacitors, motor, ESC heatsink, battery connectors all room temperature after a few up and down passes. 15 degree timing on d wind motors.

The leopards running cooler than the tp too.

If only the leopards were constructed to with stand higher rpm like the tp they would be over kill.

Are you trying to rewrite the basics of the difference between "D" & "Y" motors?
    [Quote] 15 degree timing on d wind motors. [Quote]

You will get more out of it and save yourself problems down the road with 1 to 4 degrees timing on that motor.

Larry
    Past NAMBA- P Mono -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Past NAMBA- P Sport -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Bump & Grind Racing Props -We Like Em Smooth & Wet

Does lower timing offer more speed on d wind motors?

Because its impossible for me to run any cooler right now.

My temperature is the same at the end as when I plug in the battery.

No, more efficiency.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

I make it a special emphasis to have the solder flow like water through my wires at every point.

Making sure they is enough solder to make the connector seem as one with every strand in the wire at every point.

Then make sure the connector is tightly fitted.

The result is a more aggressive motor, that runs much cooler and much cooler all around temperatures.

When I bought my most recent ESC, I pull off the heat strink. Put each connector over fire and apply flux until I saw things to my liking.

This is done to my motor too, and battery.

I know persons who have bought high reputed ESC that ran much hotter at lower amp draw.

I heard it said that tp motors run hot. And I am seeing constantly that d wind motors run hot and require 0 to 4 or 5 degree timing to reduce the heat. I heard some say leopards run hot.

Well I am experiencing extremely cool temperatures at the connectors at 15 degree timing on d wind motors.

Usually same temperate when I come in as when I started.

Did you start this thread to ask/answer your own questions? Nothing helpful here.

All the best soldering in the world will not change the way the motor is made.

"D" = 0 to 4 degrees timing. any more then that only causes internal heat to the winding, and future damage to the motor, and could also damage your ESC and batteries.

Are you sure you don't have a "Y" motor???

Larry

Leopard 4092 1730kv 3d, leopard 4092 2080kv 2.5d, tp 4060 1950kv 5d.

The everything does fell so cool that I does wonder if the temperature went higher.

Atleast that is the case with the leopards. The tp motor was slightly warm. Maybe 100f degrees. After over a minute of hard up and down running.

An other newbie that knows everything.
    It seems that every thread you start goes the same way.
    Time for my ignore list.

Good Bye
    Larry

https://youtu.be/whPfJU-GB60

Just posting the link with the leopard 4092 2080kv on 4s if anyone interested in seeing it.

https://youtu.be/Y7qXfGVhdlU

A video of the revolt on 4s with the stock ESC, the stock aquacraft 1800kv and an octura m545.

This video is an older video taped in the same location as the one with the leopard 4092 2080kv on 4s and an m545.

I am posting these video so any interested person can see the difference between the leopard 4092 2080 and the stock motor.

Quote Originally Posted by Luck as a Constant View Post
    Wait, now I remember you. You’re the guy who comes here posting all sorts of ridiculous stuff and disregarding what anyone has to say.
    Good luck with whatever man. I’m not getting. Sucked into this one.

Have a good one

I had to LOL
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

I’m going to step out too with you guys but first I feel the urge to point out some facts.

1) your comparing different kv motors so of course there’s going to be a difference in speed. Why wouldn’t there be?

2) you just learned something. Not that a leopard motor is faster. You learned just because a motor is rated a higher kv does NOT mean it’s faster. I’ve experienced this many times. A lower kv motor (usually) has more torque. What does that mean here? Well depending on your prop, Cg and your strut height and angle dictates the max rpm that a certain motor will swing the prop. You could prop down a little with the tp motor, unloading it some and allowing it to get to a higher rpm like it probably wants to go, and in turn get more speed. You could leave the same prop on that went faster with the tp (theoretically) and put the lower kv leopard back in and go even slower. A motor likes what it likes, and you can’t just think a simple motor swap like that will prove anything. That’s like switching canshafts in a motor but not retuning for the second camshaft and seeing the power drop when you know it should be more.

3) not all motors are exactly alike. You could buy two identical motors and put them on my motor tester (I’ve done it) and get a couple hundred kv difference between the two. Throw those two identical motors in a boat and watch them not go exactly the same speed.

4) I’ve had the exact same same setup go a certain speed and then the next day because of different conditions go faster or slower.

5) batteries are certainly a factor here. Where they the exact same packs used? As in the one used, charged and used again? Did you swap motors at the lake you were at? Was the flex greased the same way? Same gap? Motor alignment perfect? I’ve used different grease and dropped mph and picked up mph. So many variables that come into play.

My opinion is your “test” in inconclusive. I’m biased to be honest because tp is a better motor and their customer service is second only to Steven who owns this website. They listen to feedback and are constantly improving their stuff, all for a price that doesn’t break the bank.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

I think the tp is a better made motor. It would seem it will hold up better at higher rpm than the leopards. My 1730kv is developing a little play in the bearings since running 5s.

But while the tp might hold up better at higher rpm and be more durable.

I can tell you leopard is clearly more powerful. The 1730kv 4092 recorded higher speeds on gps that the 1950kv tp 4060. And the 2080kv leopard 4092 was even faster than the 1730 which should be straight forward.

The leopards ran cooler than the tp also.

If you looking a more durable motor that can handle higher reving applications. Tp is the motor to get.

But I am just sharing my experience leopard is more powerful.

Quote Originally Posted by Speed3 View Post
    I think the tp is a better made motor. It would seem it will hold up better at higher rpm than the leopards. My 1730kv is developing a little play in the bearings since running 5s.

But while the tp might hold up better at higher rpm and be more durable.

I can tell you leopard is clearly more powerful. The 1730kv 4092 recorded higher speeds on gps that the 1950kv tp 4060. And the 2080kv leopard 4092 was even faster than the 1730 which should be straight forward.

The leopards ran cooler than the tp also.

If you looking a more durable motor that can handle higher reving applications. Tp is the motor to get.

But I am just sharing my experience leopard is more powerful.
    You obviously didn’t read or understand my post.

Speed, it’s frustrating to read your post. You never give enough information. KFX tried to tell you, I’ve tried to tell you and numerous others have tried. I think you do a good job confusing new boaters that might read your posts. But you make no valid case as to why someone would follow your recommendations. Your videos show this very short acceleration burst, which the GPS is even suspect because you don’t give it proper acquisition time. These accelerations are so short I doubt it makes any difference what motor you run!

I hope you enjoy your nice spot there. But there is no useful information here...

My revolt covers 0 to 200, 300 feet in a rush. I put up a video with the revolt with the stock motor and the m545 on 4s to give you guys a picture of how great of a difference it is with the 4092.

I have seen the zelos 36 in action. A stock zelos 36 on 6s cannot get close to my revolt on 4s with the 2080kv 4092 leopard.

A stock voracity cannot get close.

We race all those boat, in my area. I have hundreds of videos. I have the zelos with stock props. Bigger upgraded props. Upgraded motors.

Those areas where I posted those videos have long and wide running areas. Far more distance than the control range.

I see the guys run out of range all the time.

The guys basically drag with what you guys call saw setups. 45000 to 50000 plus rpm setups. Single and twin setups.

My revolt is close in speed to them kind of setups in my area.

That's with the 1730kv 4092 on 5s.

So those quick burst you guys looking at is over 300 feet in distance.

My revolt will run a stock 6s spartan using just 3s.

https://youtu.be/-DOd0JPXk2A.

In the link the boat was running a short bust of 250 to 260 feet from start to finish.

I post that so you guys will understand what I mean by 250 feet.

My revolt covers 0 to 200, 300 feet in a rush. I put up a video with the revolt with the stock motor and the m545 on 4s to give you guys a picture of how great of a difference it is with the 4092.

I have seen the zelos 36 in action. A stock zelos 36 on 6s cannot get close to my revolt on 4s with the 2080kv 4092 leopard.

A stock voracity cannot get close.

We race all those boat, in my area. I have hundreds of videos. I have the zelos with stock props. Bigger upgraded props. Upgraded motors.

Those areas where I posted those videos have long and wide running areas. Far more distance than the control range.

I see the guys run out of range all the time.

The guys basically drag with what you guys call saw setups. 45000 to 50000 plus rpm setups. Single and twin setups.

My revolt is close in speed to them kind of setups in my area.

That's with the 1730kv 4092 on 5s.

So those quick burst you guys looking at is over 300 feet in distance.

My revolt will run a stock 6s spartan using just 3s.
    My stock Zelos did 76mph. So there’s that. Not that I care to worry about or even compare rtr boats. Most people on here are light years ahead of you in experience from what I can tell. But you gotta start somewhere, I was there once so I can relate, but tread lightly or you will be laughed at and shunned. Just FYI

Ps leopard is not faster than tp. Lol

So in that video above that is around 260feet from where the boat start to where it end.

The video that I posted with the 1730kv 4092 on 5s is a stretch about 350 feet from where I turn at the 11 to 12second mark in the video to the 16 second mark.

I don't post videos of the other guys boats for comparison because I don't think they would approve it.

The water where I run demands torque. So the motor with the greatest torque will win. I follow you guys posts and videos and I can see that is not the case for you guys.

I know someone setup a zelos in my area with twin tp or twin sss 4082 size, probably twin 447 for props and did low 60's in the region where I running.

In the waters in you guys region I guess things would be far different.

But I know the difference is the water. Because the area where I ran in the video for the 2080 4092 4s run I cannot get a proper sail with the 1730kv 4092 on 5s the water current is really strong so it is hard for to give full throttle the boat flip quickly even though the water doesn't look ruff.

Where as I have another location where I can run that setup with no issues.

Difference being the water.

And on the matter of the motors the leopards have a lot more torque than the tp, that is why they are out performing the tp in my region.

The water where I run demands torque. So the motor with the greatest torque will win. I follow you guys posts and videos and I can see that is not the case for you guys.

I know someone setup a zelos in my area with twin tp or twin sss 4082 size, probably twin 447 for props and did low 60's in the region where I running.

In the waters in you guys region I guess things would be far different.

But I know the difference is the water. Because the area where I ran in the video for the 2080 4092 4s run I cannot get a proper sail with the 1730kv 4092 on 5s the water current is really strong so it is hard for to give full throttle the boat flip quickly even though the water doesn't look ruff.

Where as I have another location where I can run that setup with no issues.

Difference being the water.

And on the matter of the motors the leopards have a lot more torque than the tp, that is why they are out performing the tp in my region.
    So you have special tq water. Gotcha.

So my answer to the tp powered Zelos running low 60’s is lack of experience. Last one I setup did 65mph on 4s. So I’m not sure what your guys are doing. And that was with lower kv motors than stock.
    Last edited by kfxguy; 03-01-2018 at 11:39 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast