Thread: UL19 Setup

Default UL19 Setup

Proboat UL19 running on 6s 65c 7000mah"each", Leopard 1700kv 3674 motor, and Swordfish X200a ESC. I have added a separate water pickup, so the motor and esc are independently cooled. However, I am debating on what size prop to use...I have been thinking the x442. Any input on this setup or pointers? I am new to FE boats and when it comes to choosing props, I am lost.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thats a lot of RPM....

Yeah, to say the least... And do you really need a 200A ESC to turn a 3674 motor? That’s about a 90-100A motor. Your prop is the most reasonable thing in the setup! You may want to de-tongue the X blade, or get a M blade.. you should be shooting for 30,000 rpm’s, especially being inexperienced. You have a beautiful boat there, try to keep it right side up for a bit....

Have you run it yet in stock format?

I did run it stock last season and had several issues with it overheating on 6s. "Even with the 2 independent water pickups for cooling". I burnt through 1 stock esc with the stock 2000kv motor and prop. I tore it down and painted it over the winter and decided to throw in the leopard 1700kv motor with Swordfish esc, I got a great deal on the 200a x esc which is why I decided to put it in.

I think the 1500 kv range is more suited for 6s power.

When you ran on 6S, did you put a smaller prop on it?

Stock it’s a 4s boat. The manual says 6s, but with a 2000kv motor, I don’t see any way you would avoid what you experienced. A 1450kv motor is better matched to 6s. It doesn’t hurt to update the ESC, but from your initial specs, it sounds like you want to hit 100mph, like a lot of people that come on the forum.

We tend to give advice that will yield a good boating experience while keeping the boat reliable. If you want to just zip-zip it, then I’m not the best guy to give advice, so I’ll bow out....

I agree with the 1500kv range "based on other findings and setups" , in retrospect, I should have gone lower kv, but wanted to see how 1700kv would handle. Again, I am new to the FE field, so hopefully I am at least on the right track to finding a good setup.

What is your goal? Do you want to run SAW runs and forget about cornering! Do you want to set up for all out circle track, with full speed corners, or just have a good, all around sport boating experience? The setups are vastly different...

I am definitely interested in your advice. I want a reliable boat that I can trust, but at the same time, I also want it to be in the 50mph range. Like any new guy, I went a b it on the extreme side. I did read that for 6s, you wa t to stick around 1400 -1500kv. In your opinion, would you get rid of the 1700kv, and would a 442 prop be a good starting point? I am open to any and all advice. I'm sure you are far more experienced in the field than I am, so I am willing to take into account any considerations. Thank you!

I would like you to describe the runs that burnt up the esc?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    "Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone except God.
    Billy Graham

Honestly, I am just looking for an all around reliable setup that can get up and go if need be. As of right now, I am just having fu n in a 14acre lake. No racing or anything, just fun

Fairly basic...I think, I would do one pass at full throttle and then bring it back around towards me at a slow speed, and then repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Doby View Post
    When you ran on 6S, did you put a smaller prop on it?
    no, I used the stock prop

If you want to have some reliable fun with some speed to go i would drop the KV,s down to the 1400 to 1500 range running on 6s . i feel the 1700 kv motor would be better suited to run on 5s for fun running . with our restricted riggers we run 1500 kv motos on 4s running 447 props , after 6 laps all is cool with over 50% battery power left. so whats the point on running 6s with a 442 prop?

Quote Originally Posted by 20oneEyes View Post
    Fairly basic...I think, I would do one pass at full throttle and then bring it back around towards me at a slow speed, and then repeat.
    How long did you run?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    "Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone except God.
    Billy Graham

I would recommend the Leopard 3674, 1400kv motor on 6s. I would also stick with the 442 and get some experience running the boat. Also, there are hull setups, strut, turn fin and CG that need to be learned. A good goal would be to get the boat running right on the water and get used to turning it full speed. This takes some runs! Your instinct will be to let off the throttle. A next good increment in prop is the good ol’ trusty M445. All of these blades need to be sharpened and balanced. If you don’t have those skills, get a hold of Dashbota on this site. He does props and they are damn good ones!

If you need help setting the boat up then try to describe what it’s doing on the water, and many people can help. Also, search for UL-19 on the site, there is much written about it. But many of those setups are full race, so you may need some individual help to get a well rounded setup. The handling changes as the speed increases, so getting it running on one prop then going to a faster one may require tiny tweaks.

But give yourself a chance to enjoy and learn your boat, put the 1700kv motor away for now. It may be fun to put it back in for some all out straight runs, but please don’t start there. Just getting good seat time is the goal! And remember one thing, enjoy the learning process! You only go through it once! Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by CraigP View Post
    I would recommend the Leopard 3674, 1400kv motor on 6s. I would also stick with the 442 and get some experience running the boat. Also, there are hull setups, strut, turn fin and CG that need to be learned. A good goal would be to get the boat running right on the water and get used to turning it full speed. This takes some runs! Your instinct will be to let off the throttle. A next good increment in prop is the good ol’ trusty M445. All of these blades need to be sharpened and balanced. If you don’t have those skills, get a hold of Dashbota on this site. He does props and they are damn good ones!

If you need help setting the boat up then try to describe what it’s doing on the water, and many people can help. Also, search for UL-19 on the site, there is much written about it. But many of those setups are full race, so you may need some individual help to get a well rounded setup. The handling changes as the speed increases, so getting it running on one prop then going to a faster one may require tiny tweaks.

But give yourself a chance to enjoy and learn your boat, put the 1700kv motor away for now. It may be fun to put it back in for some all out straight runs, but please don’t start there. Just getting good seat time is the goal! And remember one thing, enjoy the learning process! You only go through it once! Have fun!
    20180219_122220.jpg

Go for the Dubro.

I prefer the topflight. but I use a 3/16 shaft with out any cones.

Quote Originally Posted by rol243 View Post
    If you want to have some reliable fun with some speed to go i would drop the KV,s down to the 1400 to 1500 range running on 6s . i feel the 1700 kv motor would be better suited to run on 5s for fun running . with our restricted riggers we run 1500 kv motos on 4s running 447 props , after 6 laps all is cool with over 50% battery power left. so whats the point on running 6s with a 442 prop?
    The OP clearly stated he was new to the sport. So he’s looking to gain experience, and he needs run time to do that. He is not going to race the boat, just sport boat and enjoy.

yes Craig, thats why i mention using a 1400 to 1500 kv motor . you want run time .