Thread: Motor Swap

Default Motor Swap

Hey guys, I couldn't post in the other forum so sorry. I have a question about 4/6 pole motors. I have a Zelos 36 with the newer 6 pole 2000Kv motors and 120A esc's. I also have 2 Impulse 31's that run the same 120A esc's but they have a 4 pole 1750Kv motor. What either boat benefit from a motor swap and put the two 4 pole 1750Kv's in the Zelos and put a 6 pole 2000Kv motor in each Impulse?? Would this be considered an upgrade or downgrade for each boat??

Since the power system to each boat is essentially the same, it's purely a motor swap question. Of course I can swap them and try it, but was curious if anyone could answer before I spend the time to do so....

Thanks guys!!!

BOAT ON!!!!!!!!!

I cant give any help as far as the Impulse. However......
    I have a 36 Zelos. Mine came with the older 2000kv motors, dynamite 3910's, not the newer 3831's. During mid summer, one of my 3910's burned up. At the time, there were no 3831's available. I ended up ordering 2 1750 kv 3930's and installed them in my Zelos leaving the original 120 amp esc's. I have had good luck with them. As far as being faster than the 3831's, I cant say for sure. I have not gotten the boat dialed in yet. I have gone 75 mph with it, but feel there is a substantial amount of speed left. There are guys running faster than that with the 3831's. This is a video of my zelos with the 3930's.

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=liMWAmWCy44

This was with a set of 3 blade props. I have gone faster with a set of ABC 1814 2 blades. However, the acceleration with the 3 blades was much better. I was having an issue with melting the wires out of my EC5 connectors with the 3 blade props. 2 blades seem to not have that issue. I have since prepped a few different 2 blade props to test. Just waiting on the weather to improve.
    Another issue I found with the 3930's were that they were a bit too long and heavy for the stock motor mounts. The mounts would keep the motor in place during normal running around, but if the boat does some acrobatics, the motors had a tendency to shift around. It was a pain in the a$$. So, I came up with this new mounting system. haven't tried it out yet, but I am confident it will hold the motors in place.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyp View Post
    I cant give any help as far as the Impulse. However......
    I have a 36 Zelos. Mine came with the older 2000kv motors, dynamite 3910's, not the newer 3831's. During mid summer, one of my 3910's burned up. At the time, there were no 3831's available. I ended up ordering 2 1750 kv 3930's and installed them in my Zelos leaving the original 120 amp esc's. I have had good luck with them. As far as being faster than the 3831's, I cant say for sure. I have not gotten the boat dialed in yet. I have gone 75 mph with it, but feel there is a substantial amount of speed left. There are guys running faster than that with the 3831's. This is a video of my zelos with the 3930's.

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=liMWAmWCy44

This was with a set of 3 blade props. I have gone faster with a set of ABC 1814 2 blades. However, the acceleration with the 3 blades was much better. I was having an issue with melting the wires out of my EC5 connectors with the 3 blade props. 2 blades seem to not have that issue. I have since prepped a few different 2 blade props to test. Just waiting on the weather to improve.
    Another issue I found with the 3930's were that they were a bit too long and heavy for the stock motor mounts. The mounts would keep the motor in place during normal running around, but if the boat does some acrobatics, the motors had a tendency to shift around. It was a pain in the a$$. So, I came up with this new mounting system. haven't tried it out yet, but I am confident it will hold the motors in place.
    Thanks for the info. Hmmmm, I was wondering about the size difference. Anyone else have any thoughts or opinions on this?? Will be a lot of work to do the age old way of trial and error....

When the Zelos was first released, Rafael Lopez had commented that the 1750 4 pole motor was a good upgrade for both the 29" V3 cats as well as the Zelos. Now that he 3831 2000kV motor has been released, I'm not sure it's as big of a difference. It's probably more a matter of efficiency and lower amps with less kV. You'll likely need to run a smaller diameter prop at 2000kV than you would with 1750kV. I ran the newer 3831's in my Zelos last summer with the stock ESC's, as did a number of other owners and everyone had great results.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

That being said the 6 pole motor would be more efficient then correct? If that is the case I suppose the Impulse with the 4pole 1750Kv being swapped out for a 6pole 2000Kv would be 'considered' an upgrade as it should be more efficient and run cooler, isn't that right?

Another question, what causes the directional rotation of the motors in the Zelos? One spinning CW and the other CCW? The two 1750Kv motors I have are single motor from 2 different impulses so they both spin CCW. If I take these two and drop them in the Zelos, is one going to run 'backwards' from being backwards? Is the L and R motor the same part number or are they specific to each side?

Quote Originally Posted by DemsTwenties View Post
    Hey guys, I couldn't post in the other forum so sorry. I have a question about 4/6 pole motors. I have a Zelos 36 with the newer 6 pole 2000Kv motors and 120A esc's. I also have 2 Impulse 31's that run the same 120A esc's but they have a 4 pole 1750Kv motor. What either boat benefit from a motor swap and put the two 4 pole 1750Kv's in the Zelos and put a 6 pole 2000Kv motor in each Impulse?? Would this be considered an upgrade or downgrade for each boat??

Since the power system to each boat is essentially the same, it's purely a motor swap question. Of course I can swap them and try it, but was curious if anyone could answer before I spend the time to do so....

Thanks guys!!!

BOAT ON!!!!!!!!!
    If you are referring to the "newer 2000kv motor" you have as the Dynamite 3910 motor then the answer is clear. The Dynamite 3930 1750kv motor kills it in everyway possible. The Impulse v2 came with the 3910 motor and in the Impulse v3 Pro Boat went to the 1750kv. Both boat's ran similar speeds but the v3 was a boat that never had any heat issues at all with this combo. I ran 49mph with my Impulse v3 that I had bone stock with the 1750kv and I put a 3910 2000kv in it just to check speeds and it went 52mph with the exact same prop, batteries and water conditions...but the motor and esc were extremely hot after a 5 min run. The boat felt very under powered with the 3910 2000kv so I changed back to the 1750kv.

Or if you are referring to your "newer 2000kv motors" as the Dynamite 3831 2000kv motors then that's a whole different animal and the 3831 is a faster motor with similar power but the 1750kv still has it in the torque category. You will not run a faster top speed in the Zelos 36 with the 1750kv motors over the 3831 motors. The 1750kv motors are good for about 80mph in perfect conditions and its been proven on here that the 3831's will push the Zelos to 90mph with the right setup. Good luck with it.

That being said the 6 pole motor would be more efficient then correct? If that is the case I suppose the Impulse with the 4pole 1750Kv being swapped out for a 6pole 2000Kv would be 'considered' an upgrade as it should be more efficient and run cooler, isn't that right?

Another question, what causes the directional rotation of the motors in the Zelos? One spinning CW and the other CCW? The two 1750Kv motors I have are single motor from 2 different impulses so they both spin CCW. If I take these two and drop them in the Zelos, is one going to run 'backwards' from being backwards? Is the L and R motor the same part number or are they specific to each side?
    No I don't see the 6 pole as an upgrade in the Impulse. To reverse the motor rotation just swap the motor wires and the motor will spin the other direction.
    TFL Zonda (124mph), Miss Geico Zelos 36 (108mph), Veles 29 (91mph), Zelos Twin 36 (90mph), Miss Geico 29v3 (83.5mph), Sonicwake 36 V2 (83mph), Blackjack 42 (81mph), TFL Pursuit (79mph), UL-19 (75mph), Sonicwake 36 (73mph), Motley Crew (47.5mph), AquaCraft Rescue 17

Both motors are the same. Once you install both motors in the zelos, all you need to do to get the rotation correct is swap 2 of the 3 wires going to the motor that needs to have its direction reversed. Be careful!!!! make SURE you get them going in the correct rotation with the correct flex, props turning inwards or you will have catastrophic damage occur rather quickly.

Thanks everyone!! Glad I didn't start wrenching!!! I do have the 3910's, but considering all this, what if I go the other way with the 1750Kv.....would it be safe to say then that putting a 3930 4pole 1750Kv in a 29inch BJV3 would be an 'upgrade' in that boat over the 3910 that it came with??

Thanks everyone!! Glad I didn't start wrenching!!! I do have the 3910's, but considering all this, what if I go the other way with the 1750Kv.....would it be safe to say then that putting a 3930 4pole 1750Kv in a 29inch BJV3 would be an 'upgrade' in that boat over the 3910 that it came with??
    Yes, it's a huge upgrade improvement if you go this route. The below video will answer all your questions.

TFL Zonda (124mph), Miss Geico Zelos 36 (108mph), Veles 29 (91mph), Zelos Twin 36 (90mph), Miss Geico 29v3 (83.5mph), Sonicwake 36 V2 (83mph), Blackjack 42 (81mph), TFL Pursuit (79mph), UL-19 (75mph), Sonicwake 36 (73mph), Motley Crew (47.5mph), AquaCraft Rescue 17

Since we are sharing words of caution and not to insult anyone's intelligence, please do not swap the leads on the motor while the system is energized. Figured I would say it, if not for you, then for someone else that may read this.

As a side note, if everything was the same, the 6-pole motor would also be happier going through partial throttle and will have less heat. I don't know if you enjoy partial throttle runs while you are doing sport boating. I think it is safe to say that I have run more 6-poles, including exotics, than most other boaters. However, I haven't tried several of the newer 6-poles that have come with the stock boats in the last few years.
    IMPBA: 7-Time FE World Record Holder "Don't think outside the box. Rather, refuse to admit that the box exists in the first place!"

MGM Controllers - Giant Power Lipos - ML Boatworks - Wholt's Wire Drives & Struts - Nano-Oil