Thread: Beginner seeking advice on electric power of Scarab 45" intended for glow power

Default Beginner seeking advice on electric power of Scarab 45" intended for glow power

Newbie here. Brand newbie. I have a Scarab 45" vee hull that was designed for a .40 to .65 glow motor, mounted on a "Steve Muck" mount at a 7.5 degree angle to horizontal. There is about a 9" x 18" deck opening covering the area from the motor to the stern where the radio box would be located.

I have some knowledge of lipo batteries and charging from solar systems, but no knowledge of electric boat motors, drive construction, or radio control other than having constructed a small glow powered boat kit once.

Is there a guide for someone like me (don't do it!), or can someone give me pointers on things such as recommended power (motor, speed control, battery capacity), method of delivering power to a propeller (specific gear), # channels for a radio I would need, and last but not least whether center of gravity could be an issue with the weight of the batteries that may exceed what was originally planned.

Any help at all in getting started would help. Price is not a primary concern - I have noticed that motors can be quite pricey, and batteries aren't cheap. Lipo was my chosen chemistry for solar, and I see it is used in boats as well. What would be best, and then better behind that I could choose from. I am not looking to create a show piece, but something that is primarily functional.

Thank you for any advice in advance and please take it easy on me at least at first :)

There is a similar thread that will get you pointed in the right direction

https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com...some-questions

I have a Dumas Scarab as well, yet unfinished but certainly not my only boat. My first question is when you say functional do you mean scale’ish speed or are you looking for a fun running boat?

And here is a better thread on the same hull built just for fun. Ken finished it so nice and a real good runner with good runtime and speed.

https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com...ighlight=Dumas

Thanks for the thread pointers. I see am not alone. By "functional" I meant for fun. Graphics and finishing touches would be a low priority.

After reviewing the excellent thread that details Ken's project, I've decided pursuing this is beyond my pay grade at the moment. There are a lot of pesky details - plus it is a vintage item designed for a gas engine. You have a fantastic community here. This is not a solicitation - but I am going to liquidate this item in an appropriate place and let a true hobbyist with a vision and knowledge take a crack at making something of it. These appear to come up from time to time, so if the mood strikes in the future I could always re-engage. Thanks for the bandwidth.