Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: More limited motor discussion

Accept that nobody is doing that. Nobody is even trying to do that.

Examples:

My kid is as fast as almost anybody in LSH. There is a video somewhere of him being chased by Robert Holland in Phoenix. Robert went out to Vegas and earned himself a national championship. So the boat is quick. We run 150 amp Raider in that boat. Not because we need the amps. Because they're cheaper than a UL and sold by my favorite FE source OSE. The motor is coming in at 110 degrees. No where near the 167 de-mag point.

Ty's 10th scale is pretty darned respectable too. That boat runs just a 120 amp speedo.

My buddy Tom is faster than most everybody in limited mono. Fast enough that I'm building a new boat. haha He runs mostly Seaking 180's. Not because he needs it but because he can yank it and throw it in a P sport and it will survive. Same thing. He's temping in the 120's I believe.

What the real amperage is we don't really care. We watch temps. If we're in a safe range we don't get bogged down by this many or that many amps. Are we hanging with the pack? Then we're there.

BTW Marc runs a bunch of lead up front on his UL. Have no idea how much though.
    glue sniffer

Craig

Yes some run higher Amp ESC's then they need,
    This is because they are looking for efficiency, or it is what they had in their box, or even weight.

I myself always like to run ESC's that are 150% to 200% over what my setup runs on an average, in all my boats.

Larry
    Past NAMBA- P Mono -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Past NAMBA- P Sport -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Bump & Grind Racing Props -We Like Em Smooth & Wet

Craig...bone stock boats can be competitive and win..

Examples..
    1) 2015 was the last Cup I attended..won both the Limited Offshore and Limited Cat with an AQ Revolt and an AQ Motley crew.

The Revolt had the stock 60 amp ESC and 1800Kv motor....but I did use a $8.00 Graupner carbon/plastic prop!
    The Motley Crew had the stock 1800 Kv motor and I put in a $30 Hobby King 90 Amp ESC. The prop was an X457 Sharpened and balanced.

Also, both boats were powered by simple Turnigy 30C batteries.

Each of those two classes had at least 25 boats in it.

Did I win because they were the fastest boats, No. (although the MC is very quick) Did I win because of my stellar driving skills...No (I'm far from the best driver, but even farther from the worst). Luck, reliable setups and avoiding trouble were big parts of it. Like Terry said, fastest boats are quite often obstacles for those still running as the race progresses.

Now at this years Nats I'll be running the same boats in the same classes again..there are a few drivers signed up that I fully expect to get slaughtered by in those classes. Will it deter me from racing again?..no way! Until you try it you won't realize the actual fun it really is...all the BS on the forums means nothing.

Well guys, that’s great news! I agree that an over rate on the ESC is prudent and helps to prevent failures that marginal ones may suffer. And the price on that UL-1 ESC is just crazy high!

I’ve been very surprised on the stability of this UL-1 I got. I’m in Oklahoma, and the wind is always blowing and it puts a chop on the water. I’ve never have been concerned about that, closer to what you would race in. But this thing just flat hauls the mail! I’ve looked at the 150a Raider ESC, I think the motor will take about 80A... I’ve got no heat on the ESC or motor running the S220.

Well hell’s bells, just might have to get down to Dallas and test the water! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Doby View Post
    The prop was an X457 Sharpened and balanced.

is that a typo ?

Quote Originally Posted by TheShaughnessy View Post
    is that a typo ?
    Opps...452...not 7

A 452 on a 36mm motor.... That’s got to be at least a 200% over amp.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigP View Post
    A 452 on a 36mm motor.... That’s got to be at least a 200% over amp.
    The struts pretty high and the 1800 kv/ 90 amp ESC handle it easily.

I run a 448/3 blade on a 29" mono with a 1500kv 6 pole motor on 4S in spec mono and Offshore.
    Amp draw is 80 to 95A

Larry
    Past NAMBA- P Mono -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Past NAMBA- P Sport -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Bump & Grind Racing Props -We Like Em Smooth & Wet

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    I don't know man. I think yer over think'n this Dave. I've been through every rule change since Nicd batteries. We messed up the first round of this back in 2008 IMO. I'm the one that proposed it so I think I get to say that.

If this takes longer I'm okay with it. I was only asking those questions earlier to get my brain around the apprehension. My understanding thus far from multiple sources is that the controversy has been so vast and of such duration that some are hesitant to even get in the water. It's like stabbing yourself in the leg on purpose. "Those guys are all nuts. Screw that!" Us throwing a poop fit cuz it can't happen soon enough wont help. It only makes people less receptive if anything. What we need to do is prove that this time........it works. Prove that the debate has ended.

I really believe we're headed in the right direction now. If we are ..........that proof will be in that participation and rule silence. We have to convince people it's the correct direction. Not demand that it is. We may end up with a band-aide for now. So what really. We were already taking a chance with our club rules. Others agreed to come play with us even with them being incomplete so it can't be all bad.
    Terry from my standpoint, I’m the one NOT over think’n this. This isn’t rocket science and we’re not trying to cure cancer. Hell, the federal government can write a tax plan, vote it in and enact it under 1 year. With strong opposition and controversy BTW… Why do we need 3 years to have a dang motor rule for toy boats?

We’re talking about another year of testing and band-aides before the BOD will even consider a proposal. (Which I’m told they won’t) Then there would be another year of trials… and then we’d finally have a rule in the books if voted in by the members.

And what’s with the “Don’t we want to take the time to get it right?” I keep hearing? Are we fixing global climate change? Are we writing gun reform laws?
    Wait… wrong crowd…

Yes, we want to get it right. You’ve all spent the last 10 years seeing what went wrong before and have come up with a doable option that if done originally wouldn’t have resulted in those problems. And we’ll have a year of trials. Isn’t that the purpose of the trials? And guess what? If a problem like the 1415 motors come up down the road. Fix and rule. Period! It shouldn’t take another 3 to 5 years of debate to fix any problems at may come up.

The controversy has been so vast and of such duration because the organizations are sitting back and doing nothing. This would have been over 2 years ago with some proper leadership. But no… even with a doable option such as diameter x length x weight, the BOD are all Nope…Nope…Nope. Let the districts and clubs figure it out. They are the ones over think’n all this and now need their hands held to be convinced. Bunch of snowflakes that can’t handle controversy.
    C/F TFL Pursuit Mono, C/F TFL Cheetah Cat, C/F TFL Ariane Mono, ML Boatworks GP310 Sport Hydro, Black Pearl Sport Hydro

I jumped on tonight and by mistake started on the first page. The same stuff has been said over and over.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

Attached Images Attached Images

At this point I think Id like to see this thread die in peace.

We are all adults and can/do respect each other. So Im asking unless there is something very new to add to this thread, please let it go for now.
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910