Thread: IMPBA FE 1/8 scale motor options update

Exclamation IMPBA FE 1/8 scale motor options update

Ok boys and girls some news on the motor options for the IMPBA FE 1/8th scale class. Buddy Benedict submitted a proposal the the BOD for using can size limits. After much spirited (and friendly :)) conversation during Thursday evening's meeting including myself, Mike Ball and Doug Smock we agreed to table Buddy's proposal for now but open the membership up to running some of the other motors that would be legal under the proposal with testing and submitting feedback to Mike for potentially adding them to the current motor list. I feel this is a great option but we need participation from members for feedback to make this work, I plan on testing a couple of them myself. So as follows-

FE 1-8 Scale Tech Notice RevA(2).pdf

And please no discussion of NAMBA FE scale rules or references to them (including limits on KV, mah, props, etc) as this is about potential IMPBA motor options. Thanks.
    Futaba Team Driver
    - IMPBA Hydro Technical Director -

Well this is encouraging.

Nice fellas. You all know what I want. I'm totally at piece with not getting it. I still find this encouraging as well.

We all (me especially) need to resist the urge to include something that doesn't make sense or is out of the league of the others. As much as I like my 22 series Neu's they're not equals. Could be the 44mm Lehner don't fit too. I don't know though. The Plett is on a different level entirely IMO.

Soft inquiry.....is the intent to show that a potential size limit could work or to simply add some variety to the list?
    Noisy person

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    Soft inquiry.....is the intent to show that a potential size limit could work or to simply add some variety to the list?
    I think this request does a couple of things IMO:

* Hopefully this is helping to get people racing and boats on the water. There is/was a fear that one club might allow a particular motor then the same racer wants to travel but won't be allowed to race because his particular motor wasn't on the list.

* Evidently there are racers that want to run this class, but buying a NEU motor ($300) was a show stopper.

* IF we actually get feedback from the racers at the local level, then that tells us the level of interest/participation in this class. People talk about FE 1/8 scale, but we fail to see where its ACTUALLY happening.

* As you've already experienced; when something goes in the book its REALLY difficult to remove and/or completely change the direction of the rule. This buys us a little more time to do some testing to keep as many racers happy as possible. Again, assuming we actually get feedback from racers in racing conditions, this allows the BOD to make decisions based on real world racing not just a guess.

Later
    Mike

Thats tough. Getting guys that own them to be in the same place is difficult.

I'm pretty maxed out at the moment. I'm useless to ya for a bit. Hopefully we'll hear from others.
    Noisy person

Just unpacked the 1/8th scale boats that I bought from Allen Nayman.....
    Hopefully I will have something ready next years races. My first take is
    that this type of boat may be too pretty to race....lol

Don, Mike, Doug.....thanks for your efforts to save the class, although I have
    never raced one they look like a lot of fun !
    TenShock Brushless / Pro Marine
    NEU Motors / Rico Racing/ Castle Creations
    2023 NAMBA & 2018 IMPBA FE High Points "National Champion"