Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Twin outboard install, Fine design 32.

Quote Originally Posted by srislash View Post
    Well this would be me. These hydraulic dummies can be bought by themselves and come in a couple lengths. They can/or may have flex cable glued into them. Positioning for smooth operation is key, depending on application (the one pictured being about as tuff as it gets). Now I have also thought of making my own using .098 prop stubs and cable in brass tube. Having steerable drives means you don’t need a lot of rudder throw either. I do have a functioning one here if you need measur.

Shawn
    Had to ditch the link as I was getting page errors.

Thanks for the offer and the idea for making them. Once I get everything worked out I might add them.

I figured out how to address the steering and tilt issue and I think Im just a little proud of myself.

Im making a servo mount that will let the steering servo pivot with the angle of the outboards. The pivot will be in the base of the mount and the servo will be able to rock forward and back with a push/pull arrangement for steering guiding it. this will allow the servo link remain in the same length between the servo and the motors regardless of the angle of attack the motors are placed in.

When I first thought of it I wasnt sure it would work, but after thinking about it for a bit I think its perfect.

Pics coming as soon as I get enough of it made to show the function more clearly.

Awesome thinking. Look forward to pics.

All right, I got far enough to show I guess what you would call proof of concept with the steering servo mechanics.

These are the two brackets, the star wars X wing fighter looking one is the mount for the fixed end of the tilt/trim actuator. It came out looking this way as I plan on sticking it down with silicone and wanted to remove as much weight as possible, while still having a large enough area where it counts for the adhesive to adhese.

I just kept shaving off material on a prototype partand testing how much hold I still had left until I was afeared to go any further. It will hold 24lbs of dead weight at the very furthest possible mounting point and weighs only 8 grams.

There is no mounting hole for the actuator yet as I have yet to determine the final height, I just know I have enough.

IMG_0672[1].jpg

The other mount is the steering servo bracket with the mount below it. It has a light friction fit into the bottom bracket so as not to allow rotation but still freely let the servo pivot forwards and back. This came out a lil porky at 22 grams, but I still have material to remove and test it for rigidity. I know both of these are more rigid than what is needed at this point, I just didnt make and test a prototype for the steering servo bracket.

And here they are in their relative positions with their servo/actuator loosely held in place.

IMG_0670[1].jpgIMG_0671[1].jpg

Now I need to bring everything together and make some final measurements so I can make the thru hull push rod fitting and rod and then begin cutting the transom for the steering lincages.
    Last edited by RaisedByWolves; 08-19-2018 at 06:58 PM.

FYI the problems I have had with any of my creations have been the wear at pivot points and finding firm ball links. Tightest ball links are plastic ones(Traxxas) and just replace as necessary.
    Perhaps provision for a paper thin nylon washer at pivot points.

Just throwing some foresight out for you to consider.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12