Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just because I have to be different

Default Just because I have to be different

So because we’ve had some really nasty weather this year I haven’t been able to make my way to the lake lately. My kids decided they wanted to go check out a slot car track around the corner from our house that we’ve passed a million times but never stopped. I wish I would have never stopped now. Because they were hooked within minutes and both of my older sons (14 and 18) bought cars from a couple of the guys who race there and then that’s all she wrote. I ended up building me a car. My first car ever built was very fast and super consistent. The track owner was impressed he told me.....little did he know how I really am. Lol. So these little cars run a brushed motor off of 16.xx volts and they are very fast. But as we all know, brushed motors are a thing of the past and have more maintenance than I like to fool with. So......I started asking about brushless slot cars. Well I found no info on the net. I found some threads on forums with people arguing about it with the popular consensus that it can’t be done and it won’t be fast and blah blah. Well the track owner actually found one guy that was running one (or trying to) and it seemed like he was having issues with it and it wasn’t very fast because of the weight from him running a battery. Nah. I’m not running a battery, that was one of my goals. And to be as fast or faster that most of the bracket race cars. Well I achieved that on my first attempt tonight. Most bracket cars run in the 40mph range and their times are low 7’s maybe high 6’s (.700 and .690ish). This is a 1/8 mile scale track, 27.5ft long. My first attempt any it netted me a best e.t. Of .615 and a best mph of 51mph. For comparison my bracket car runs s .710 @ 40.xx mph. Everyone there was amazed that I even got it to work and couldn’t believe how fast it was. The beauty of it is the tuning of the motor. I could adjust the punch and help it not spin off the line. Now for the interesting part. Pics and videos......

This is a model of a car I used to have to was so fast that everyone in the area knew the car and knew who I was.

32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Here’s a couple videos

32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Here’s my gto. And I’ll post the real cars these are modeled after.

Here’s the real cars. I still have the gto. I traded the camaro for a truck.

Sorry this is a pic of a pic. When i had this car, there were no iPhones. Lol.

That model GTO is the only GM built car I've seriously considered buying in the last 35 years. I'd still buy one if the right opportunity came along.

Simple and elegant design on the slot car. I wont ask you how you did it, because that would give your secret away.
    Up next, More tire? A Dually design?
    Good show!!
    Cheetah, Super Rio, (Mod) Starship (Mod and sold),

What scale are these? There is a place here that runs them. I think they are maybe 1/43 or there about.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumpelhardt View Post
    What scale are these? There is a place here that runs them. I think they are maybe 1/43 or there about.
    1/24 scale

With the length of the track being 27.5ft for a 1/8th mile

The car would be 1/24 scale.

Larry
    Past NAMBA- P Mono -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Past NAMBA- P Sport -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Bump & Grind Racing Props -We Like Em Smooth & Wet

Travis you beat me to the answer. I had to do the math first.

I use to race 1/10 scale on the asphalt 132ft track.
    118 MPH - 1.8 sec. in 132ft. from a dead stop, with a brushed motor and 16 - 2/3 sub "c" cells.

Larry
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by larryrose11 View Post
    Simple and elegant design on the slot car. I wont ask you how you did it, because that would give your secret away.
    Up next, More tire? A Dually design?
    Good show!!
    Thx. It’s actually a little bit of work to do this so maybe the average joe may not be able to duplicate it. I used a micro mamba motor, a airplane 6s esc with a pistix and then a micro spektrum receiver. I took everything apart, shortened sero wires and epoxy coated the boards to do away with receiver case. If I didn’t mention, there’s no battery, I run off of the track power. It worked flawless last night and there was a crowd watching.

Next up is more gear and wider tires. I just ordered the tires and picked up some bigger spur gears last night. It leaves a tad bit lazy right now because I have the punch dialed down because it’s just too violent. The 60ft is horrible but a few feet out it turns on. I’m thinking with more gear, more tire and a tad more punch it’ll do much better. The 60ft was slower than most slow cars and the et and mph was up there with some really quick cars. Here’s a video with it dialed way back vs my gto. Look at the 60ft how poor it was but it turned almost the same et and mph as the other car leaving way harder. That just tells me how much power the brushless has.

Quote Originally Posted by TRUCKPULL View Post
    Travis you beat me to the answer. I had to do the math first.

I use to race 1/10 scale on the asphalt 132ft track.
    118 MPH - 1.8 sec. in 132ft. from a dead stop, with a brushed motor and 16 - 2/3 sub "c" cells.

Larry

Dang Larry that’s awesome! Especially for back then!

There was a guy running a car the other night (funny car) that was trapping 90mph but the track prep is ridiculous. They use some stuff called tire glue for grip. With those fast cars they have to put glue down the whole track. It’s about 10 minutes or more prep just for one pass. But 90mph in 27 feet is FAST! You can’t even see it!

GTO got treed.

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by TRUCKPULL View Post
    GTO got treed.

Larry
    Yea. I had the camaro turned way down because it would beat the gto badly. I was trying to be fair and the times and mph were very close. The Beauty of brushless....the tuneability.

Crap, damn kids and their nagging. The build schedule has taken a hit with this new hobby.

Those things are fast. What catches them at the other end of the track?
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    Crap, damn kids and their nagging. The build schedule has taken a hit with this new hobby.

Those things are fast. What catches them at the other end of the track?
    Lol

They have sticky glue after the finish line then they have cushions in case it don’t stop. And they have a break in the braid (that’s what sends power to the car) and then the brain past the finish line, both braids are tied together to ground out the motor. That caused a braking effect. Does not work on my Brushless. Because of they I had to get the owner to lay some more glue. I got it stopping now but I have bigger tires coming (bigger tires, more drag in the glue plus better traction).

It only takes a couple hours to build one of those things. I don’t think it’ll interfere much with my boat building. Besides, because my 18 year old is really interested in this, I was able to teach him a new skill, how to solder (you silver solder the chassis together). He’s been hanging out with me in the shop lately and built his first chassis the other night and just finished the car on his own today. Turned out very nice. Plus bonding time spent together is priceless.

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    Plus bonding time spent together is priceless.
    No doubt.

Can you post a picture of the bottom with the electrical pick-ups? Curious how that works.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Real drag strips use a sort of "tire glue" so that's actually pretty accurate. Track prep at an full size drag strip is quite a job If done well.

No doubt.

Can you post a picture of the bottom with the electrical pick-ups? Curious how that works.

Real drag strips use a sort of "tire glue" so that's actually pretty accurate. Track prep at an full size drag strip is quite a job If done well.
    Yea.....there’s different thickness too. Right now I’m using the least tacky. I’m gonna try some more tacky soon. I came up here to the track tonight and everyone heard I had a Brushless car, in the intermission they wanted to see it run. I’m from of a crowd of people I pulled off my fastest pass ever, being faster than most of their dragsters. It wentba .565 which my best last night was a .610. They were all pretty impressed.

That model GTO is the only GM built car I've seriously considered buying in the last 35 years. I'd still buy one if the right opportunity came along.
    And dang, I just had one of these at a light beside me and it had a 6.0liter badge on it!!! WTH??? That is a 355/360ci motor in one of these little cars? Man now I want one.

Check this quick video on mine. I ported the heads, put a cam, intake, tune, drag radials, bout the trans and put a yank stall in it. It runs better than this now. It’s does not hook up. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by srislash View Post
    And dang, I just had one of these at a light beside me and it had a 6.0liter badge on it!!! WTH??? That is a 355/360ci motor in one of these little cars? Man now I want one.
    even better, LS2 in a 4-door with kid car seats in the back! But, it all depends on where you're at in life's timeline I suppose. I do enjoy lots of displacement in my daily driver though.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

even better, LS2 in a 4-door with kid car seats in the back! But, it all depends on where you're at in life's timeline I suppose. I do enjoy lots of displacement in my daily driver though.
    Well I haven’t been much of a fan of the g8 and the price on those are a little higher than my gto was. I didn’t want a note and I got this car for $8700 cash and it was clean and 84k miles. I would have paid $14k+ for a clean comparable g8. Next mod is a turbo.

I've owned two GTOs. A 1970 Judge and a 69. I lost interest in Pontiac's when GM started putting small block Chevy's in them instead of real Pontiac engines. I really despise the original small block Chevy with a passion usually reserved for child molesters and animal abusers. When the LS engines started showing up in Pontiac's I was interested again. G.M. discontinued the only brands they had worth owning. Too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    Well I haven’t been much of a fan of the g8 and the price on those are a little higher than my gto was.
    Those cars always had an inflated price tag because of the limited supply. I was actually eluding to my old gen1 CTS-V. One of my best sleeper daily drivers.

All this talk of GM... the GTO was a Holden, which is why it didn't totally suck.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Those cars always had an inflated price tag because of the limited supply. I was actually eluding to my old gen1 CTS-V. One of my best sleeper daily drivers.

All this talk of GM... the GTO was a Holden, which is why it didn't totally suck.

Yea this car rides like a higher end car and does not rattle.

Cool car Travis, I feel the same way about small block chevy's Rumpelhardt. Mopar or no car!!

Quote Originally Posted by Beaux View Post
    Cool car Travis, I feel the same way about small block chevy's Rumpelhardt. Mopar or no car!!
    I can’t say that I agree but I’m the odd man out. In my black 92 camaro pictures above, I had a sbc in it that made 447rwhp and 479rwtq. I prefer an ls3 but the tq made from those old school motors is much greater. I built the motor myself and ported the heads and intake. Plus I tuned the haltech ecm that was in it. That was about 20 years ago (Dang I’m getting old and starting to sound like an old man lol). My ls1 in my gto probably makes close to the same hp but not near the tq. I’m not gonna lie, if I knew then what I know now, that engine probably would have made over 500rwhp.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast