Thread: matching ESC's

Default matching ESC's

I have 3 turnigy 120A esc's and I put two in a project boat running twin outboards and the twins are only reason I came across the issue. one esc causes its battery to get warmer than the other esc and battery.
    when I barely pull the throttle one motor will spin up first, faster and will run longer when the throttle is released, to test the motors and esc's I swapped them around and one definitely is running the motors faster

so to confirm what Im seeing I pulled the third ESC from another boat and swapped it with the ESC that runs faster and makes the battery run a little warmer and...... now the twins are in sync
    & battery temps and run times match!

naturally I ran the programmer card to triple check all settings, is this an ESC getting ready to give up or some calibration discrepancy?

thanks for looking

I have had similar issues with the motor running in an unmatched manner. The only way I was able to fix it was to run both batteries into one and then out to ESC’s. In honesty a shunt wire across ESC’s has worked as well. I have not noted one battery getting warmer than the other except for where one motor is pulling harder to get around corners. The parallel’ing of the packs helps this as well.

Shawn

I seem to recall something about calibrating and then shutting power off of Rx helping in some cases. Something about how it saves its memory. Wish I could remember it exactly.
    Last edited by srislash; 03-30-2018 at 02:05 AM.