Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Will castle return to marine esc's?

I think most of us would be happy if there was a DOA warranty that protected against initial plug in defects and the occasional software lockup.
    Beyond that it is very hard to protect especially with boaters in mind. A black box or flight recorder could help warranty claims although it's generally obvious with boaters there was too much load, improper settings or not enough cooling. Castle were offering "at cost" replacements for a while although I am sure there were habitual users who returned frequently, myself included.

After being part of an ESC development and launch for automotive use I know there are huge R&D costs to cover in the sales price. However I also know the bill of materials cost for something like the ICE 200 is under $35. I have visited Kontronik in Germany and got to see the SMD process and assembly first hand. Quite a bit more engineering goes into the Kontronik controllers and this is reflected in their piece price. YGE and MGM likely have similar production lines and hopefully I will visit them in the future as well.

YGE plans on releasing a new 200A HV navy controller in the near future after the beta testers provide feedback. The design is quite nice and features datalogging including current measurement. It will likely limit power to protect itself much like the MGM's and Castle's do today. Here is an image of the Heli version:
    yge-200-hvt.jpg

Fingers crossed we get more options.
    Tyler Garrard
    NAMBA 639/IMPBA 20525
    T-Hydro @ 142.94mph former WR

Yea but that new 200a ESC from YGE will most likely be like $500+ which is incredibly ridiculous pricing - maybe its great for Heli's but ...

And then it will be on Hobbyking for $199 within a month's time

Yes it will, but so will any decent quality well engineered product where the company hopes to be in business for years to come.

HK may copy it like YEP did with the YGE 180, but the clone 180HV Navy costs $245. It's the third most expensive ESC in HK. They also copied several of the flaws too........

We all know and love the older T-180V2, but wish it had all the data logging features of the Castle's. That's software development and where a huge chunk of the R&D money goes to. Making ESC's work with cars, heli's, planes, boats, inrunners, outrunners, 2 pole to 14 pole is all lots of work.
    Tyler Garrard
    NAMBA 639/IMPBA 20525
    T-Hydro @ 142.94mph former WR

Does the Castle XL2 have current limit or power limiting?
    Nortavlag Bulc

Ray: I just checked in demo mode for XL X and it does have current limiting and an option to disable it. I believe they added a way to disable it in their more recent firmware...

I think from a business standpoint, castle offering extended warranty, trade ins...etc....is just too much to keep track of. Likely a lot of the reason they stopped selling them. Why can’t they just do the same thing that swordfish does? They don’t offer all of that and they seem to be doing well. If you get a unit doa I’m sure they will take care of you (I’ve never experienced that) but if you burn it up then it’s on you. A 300 costs almost 300 bucks and they sell out all the time.

Castle. Just make controllers that are quality, hopefully an option around 300 Amps included, and definitely make it waterproof. Make the price point around the swordfish escs and you’ve got a winner. Offer a doa warranty and forget the rest. They will sell like frigging hot cakes.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12