Thread: 8mm Blue Connectors installing trouble.

Default 8mm Blue Connectors installing trouble.

Hi Guys any tricks on getting the Blue Connectors housing easier to accept the Gold Bullet connector after soldering? My finger tips are raw ATM. It seems there’s a “Lip” on the inside and the “female” gold connector is giving me the most trouble to get in from the back. Pic attached. IMG_1588.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hard to tell from that picture, but the beveled edge on those bullets looks like they are intended to be loaded in from the other side of the plastic housing. Slide the wire through the blue plastic connector first, solder on the bullet, then press into place. I use a ball tip hex driver on the female ends, and a spare female bullet over the male ends. I open the jaws of my bench vice (I use plastic jaw guards so the terminals have no chance of shorting) just wide enough for the wires to slip through, but tight enough to support the plastic housing, and give the install tool a few light taps with a hobby size hammer.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    Hard to tell from that picture, but the beveled edge on those bullets looks like they are intended to be loaded in from the other side of the plastic housing. Slide the wire through the blue plastic connector first, solder on the bullet, then press into place. I use a ball tip hex driver on the female ends, and a spare female bullet over the male ends. I open the jaws of my bench vice (I use plastic jaw guards so the terminals have no chance of shorting) just wide enough for the wires to slip through, but tight enough to support the plastic housing, and give the install tool a few light taps with a hobby size hammer.
    what Ryan said I do the same thing with the vise I just made a punch to drive them in

Quote Originally Posted by dasboata View Post
    what Ryan said I do the same thing with the vise I just made a punch to drive them in
    I just picked up a punch from Progressive RC for about $8, but I haven't had an opportunity to use it yet.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

And be sure to keep those ridges on the bullet free of solder or heat and sand of anything that spills over. I use the castle connectors which are similar and are a real pain if the outside of the bullet is not kept clean. I also found it helpful not having to much exposed wire outside of the connector eliminating the need to heat shrink, I basically end up with the wire jacket touching the top of the solder pool on the bullet. I still sometimes heat shrink for looks but not to cover bare wire. The castles are also loaded through the top of the connector housing.

Funny looking prop you got there...