Thread: Repair a cracked hull

Default Repair a cracked hull

My cheetah cracked down the seam on the right hand side all the way through. I plan on repairing it, but I need a little help on how to go about it.

It would help us to help you if you added a few pictures of the crack. Not all cracks are the same.
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Is the boat Fibreglass or CF ? Like Jesse said, a pic would help.
    My CF Fantasm(Zonda) did the same a couple years back. It’s a chore either way but not expensive just takes time.

It's a fiberglass cheetah

You could glue it back together with fiberglass resin . Run a strip an inch or so of fiber glass on the inside . Shouldn't be to bad just aggravating.

How should I take care of the out side use filler?

I would add some ground fiberglass into the resin for added strength AND do the fiberglass cloth backing on the inside. I also wipe the cracked surfaces with a clean rag with acetone on it. The acetone will gummy up the surface and make it more acceptable to the new resin. Good luck and pics of the repair would be great

Once you glue it back together, you should have enough oozed out to block sand down so no filler should be needed.

Nortavlag Bulc

oweii mo fo.

Yeah, I had this to fix, no problem!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I fixed this (photos are half-way into the repair). Send me a PM and I'll get you a copy of Hanle's Primmer for Repairing Fiberglass Aircraft. Most of it can be easily transmuted to fiberglass RC boats.
    A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves

Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    Yup, that one wins, hands down! The ol’ “Tree through the Boat” trick, lol!

Man what a job. Kudos.

I'm certain that was a frustrating experience at the time, so don't take this the wrong way, but, the photo of the boat with the branch through it is hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    It was actually your fix that inspired me to fix mine cause I was not gonna fix it my main issue is that the hull was reinforced with fiber glass already. But then it hit a foam bouy at full speed and cracked the glass on the inside. So I had to remove that old stuff first (keep the weight down) Which got nasty and some of the carbon Kevlar came out, currently removing a lot of it and it's holding me up. Plus I can't get some o the old fiber glass out in the front. Any suggestions?

Also how do you blue print the sponsors cause when I put the hull on a flat surfaces and push on the corner and it would chatter. My guess is that one sponson is off and needs leveling out. What to do?

More pictures coming soon.

Last edited by Brothers 1718; 03-03-2018 at 05:43 PM. Reason: i sent the same picture 3 times

In the first picture i removed almost all of my black paint and gel coat i'm not sure if i should remove the rest of the gel coat. In the second it shows the inside of the sponson where i removed most of the carbon kevlar. I have to finish removing the kevlar so it stops fraying and put in a layer of fiber glass and carbon fiber,beef up the hull. I haven't fixed the crack yet cause i dont have the time (school sucks).

I repaired all the holes in the hull and z poxied the crack. All I have to do is reinforce the hull and fix the slight ups and downs from my uneven sanding in the gel coat.

Sorry I missed your questions. Looks good!

I prefer bondo over spot putty. Guy at paint shop said spot putty is basically thick cheap primer.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Look what I found knocking around in my garage I finished the repair a while ago it's really solid, but now I need to get the entire thing leveled out as the gel coat was sanded down really badly in some places. Its been years. IMG_20191110_192902947.jpgIMG_20191110_192944017.jpgIMG_20191110_193000641.jpgIMG_20191110_193013191.jpg
    Last edited by Brothers 1718; 11-18-2019 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Duplicate images

Get that boat back in the water!
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Haven't done much to the hull recently gonna get it running in 2020. I already figured out my setup, but in the meantime can you guys direct me on how to blueprint the ridepads the boat rocks on a flat surface. Actually can you guys help me figure out how to level the entire tunnel? It's all kinds of uneven. Would west system light weight marine filler work or should i use Marine Tex?IMG_20191229_203953418.jpgIMG_20191229_204003114.jpg