Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scale 50" Popeye Cat with Twin M8 Outdrives

Default Scale 50" Popeye Cat with Twin M8 Outdrives

Hello everyone... so after finishing the Scale 50" Apache, I was able to (after lots of asking) secure another project that Chip had on his shelf... it is a 50" Aeromarine Popeye Catamaran with twin Arrowshark M8 Outdrives... and as last time him and I are going to work together to finish the boat as scale as possible!

I love scale boats and so far have been really pleased with the Electric M8 on the Apache in terms of reliability and performance..

There were motors already ordered for the boat (twin Nemesis 660-6Y/820KV)... Just ordered twin Swordfish 200X's from OSE... and now beginning the list of needed items... Due to inventory on hand I am planning on running it 8S-5000 per side...

Going to send Dasboata a note to start the prop conversation... as with the Apache, I want to keep her scale as possible with target speed of low 50's... the Apache uses a 60 1.4 3 blade cleaver so tempted to start there... but appreciate any input... there are Arrowshark 4 Blade props on there for display...

Attached are some photos of the boat as well as the real Popeye in Key West Harbor that we are going to model this off of...

I cannot thank everyone enough for all of the help the last time with the Apache, and hoping to lean on everyone again on this one! Please feel free to share any comments or thoughts along the way!

IM002105.jpg IM002104.jpg IM002110.jpg IM002116.jpg Popeye Key West.jpg

Awesome project!! I love the original offshore powerboats!! Is there a link to your Apache build? (I'm a newbie on the forum)

I love those scale M8 drives. They are a work of art. Good luck with the build.

I'm jealous!!! And not just of the boat (boats), but also of your workshop; so neat and orderly!!!

Seriously, I love the larger cats and deep vees, but my budget does not. Good luck with the build and I'll be watching this thread for updates.

Thanks everyone for all the kind words!! and yes Vinny, I love the scale M8 drives as well... and have good luck with them on electric if programmed with slow start and set the steering angles not more than 15-20 degrees...

Emspjay - the link to the other build is here https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com...ric-Aeromarine

And Pennstater, I wish that was my shop... mine is decent, but that is Chip's and he is amazing! The stuff he creates is truly spectacular...

More to come! Chris

And here is the new Swordfish 200X - thanks Steve! OSE great service as usual... also found some other images of the real boat for reference...

Working on soldering the ESC's this weekend!

Swordfish ESC.jpg Popeye Racing.jpgPopeye Running.jpg

nice looking esc.

Default Finished Up Soldering

So finished up the twin ESC's last night... as well as bound the new receiver and started working on the radio programming... progressing smoothly so far!!

Questions for you... on using twins, is it best to use a Y harness from the receiver or plug into separate channels and mix?

Many thanks... more updates to come!

ESC1.jpg ESC2.jpg

Default ESC Programming - Free Wheeling Question

I worked on the ESC programming last night and was thrilled that the Swordfish Software worked! Took some computer work around but excited that the programming and logging seems to be working great...

Would love any advice on the programming... went with soft start to help protect the M8 Gear Drive... Soft Cut Off... but not sure on the "free wheeling" option... seems like it could not hurt from what I have read... love opinions...

ESC3.jpgESC4.jpg

Default Motor Mounts Done

Motor Mounts are done... Chip sent me these photos today... Custom Carbon Fiber fitted...

IM002663.jpg IM002664.jpg

Default Battery Placement

Not too sure on where the batteries will need to be placed... going two 4S 5000 Giant Power per side (8S5000 per side)... so Chip was great and routed out the openings in case we need to go further up...

IM002667.jpg

Default More Work Done - Radio Box

So made some progress this weekend... Chip got the radio box built and fitted... we are going to place everything but the motors and batteries in the box... also found a super cool power switch which if installed and gasketed correctly appears to be pretty water resistant... and got the full wiring done with the series adapters...

IM002677.jpg Power Switch.jpg ESC5.jpg

Default Paint & Progress

Chip got the masking and tape work done and now onto the first coats...

IM002689.jpg IM002686.jpg IM002685.jpg

Looking good!!! I too went with the bright yellow and white paint combination on my 40" deep vee; looks sharp (and it's easy to see).

Pennstater... thanks for the kind words! The yellow should fade a bit with the clear coat as well... But getting there... doing our very best to keep as scale off the Popeye 1 as possible... more to come!

Quote Originally Posted by bonefisher View Post
    I worked on the ESC programming last night and was thrilled that the Swordfish Software worked! Took some computer work around but excited that the programming and logging seems to be working great...

Would love any advice on the programming... went with soft start to help protect the M8 Gear Drive... Soft Cut Off... but not sure on the "free wheeling" option... seems like it could not hurt from what I have read... love opinions...

ESC3.jpgESC4.jpg
    Free Wheeling is a very good thing! I wished it was in more ESC’s. What this is, is the programming checks the voltage output on the coils and if there is a back EMF pulse returning from the motor, then the software will turn ON the mosfet and allow a much more efficient power return path from the motor to the battery. This return path happens when running under part throttle and is why ESC’s without this feature get hot under part throttle conditions. It’s been in cars and helicopters for quite a while, but things move slowly in the marine market.

By all means, enable it!

CraigP...

Thanks so much for this... super helpful... you explained it way better than anything I could find on line... you should sell that description to Swordfish ;-)

Will program with on! Thanks again!
    Last edited by bonefisher; 03-01-2018 at 02:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigP View Post
    Free Wheeling is a very good thing! I wished it was in more ESC’s. What this is, is the programming checks the voltage output on the coils and if there is a back EMF pulse returning from the motor, then the software will turn ON the mosfet and allow a much more efficient power return path from the motor to the battery. This return path happens when running under part throttle and is why ESC’s without this feature get hot under part throttle conditions. It’s been in cars and helicopters for quite a while, but things move slowly in the marine market.

By all means, enable it!
    I am using a HK YEP HV 180 esc in a new boat. It is a basically a marinised aircraft esc from looking at their aircraft versions online, and I think the "freewheeling" option is in the programme. I will have to check and turn that on then as the use of part throttle will be a necessity at times with the boat. Really good thing to know/learn, thanks Craig.
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

From the sound of it, this is especially good for this project (free wheeling) as driving in scale fashion for fun, imagine I will use variable throttle a bunch...

This project is awesome and great info the CraigP just posted on ESC's!

Default More Updates!

So, progress has been good... Chip has been working on the hatches... he made scale pipes to sit underneath the vents... and then of course had to make custom drains for them in case I ran the boat in the rain and the pipes collected water! Found an old photo with the hatch up that helped a bunch!

IM002698.jpgIM002694.jpgIM002695.jpg image1.jpeg

Default More Updates! #2

And got the first of the decals on... we are going to deviate a bit from the true original and go Mercury over Mercruiser because these are copies of the Mercury M8 drives.... also going to go Coco Cola over Diet Coke as we liked the look a bit more...

IM002705.jpgIM002704.jpg

More progress! IM002708.jpgIM002709.jpg

Chris, I want to thank you for being that bad influence guy... I just ordered two for my Lucas oil scale build, out of a baby SV43. Great build senyor!

Are you racing in district 20?
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Chris,

Happy to be the bad influence guy in this case! ;-) Many thanks for the nice comments...

No, I don't race in a district currently... I live in Park City Utah and do not know if there is even a local club...

Chris

Chris, if you haven’t read through this thread, it is good for any twin runner.

https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com...s-for-two-escs

Jesse
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Jesse,

Many thanks... fascinating read... Believe for now I am going to keep everything completely separate per side... somewhat for simplicity sake... feel like getting close!

Default Paint Work All But Done

So, Chip has been super busy painting and it looks AWESOME!!!!

Should roll pretty good from here!!!

IM002752.jpgIM002749.jpgIM002747.jpg

Default Got the Props!

Been travelling too much, but got the props in... thanks Chris (Dasboata)! props.jpg

Modified 23 1.4 to basically 60MM 1.4 three blade / CR... the big apache is running a 61MM 1.4 so think this is a good place to start... probably can go more but figure keep it calm at first ;-)

Chris

Default More Updates

Ever have one of those projects that just seems to take longer than thought? ;-)

Getting there... drivers need to get cut down... some detailed work... but close!!!

IM002914.jpgIM002912.jpgIM002911.jpgIM002909.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast