Thread: Turbo Dan gifted me this Apparition hull during the Christmas Giveaway...

Default Turbo Dan gifted me this Apparition hull during the Christmas Giveaway...

I moved this thread to the appropriate forum after Fewasel answered my question, so here is the latest. So I was fortunate to have Turbo Dan gift me this Apparition hull during the Christmas Giveaway this season. He also sent a bunch of items along with it to get me started. Along with some running gear he sent me the motor out of his Pursuit, which I believe is a 3660 1620Kv SSS. I plan on using a 125a ESC that I have from a Pursuit of mine, and running it on 6s, just to start out. A bunch of parts arrived here from the OSE parts store last week. After I get it sorted out next season, I'll work on performance updates. It's something like -10 here in NY with the wind btw. Dan already did a carbon fiber inlay, and I repaired a few cracks. The tips of the sponsons as well as the tunnel between have been reinforced with chopped carbon fiber impregnated 2 part epoxy.

As far as a cosmetic redo, I've included a few photos of my progress so far. Being a MOPAR guy, I'm going with a 1970 Plumb Crazy Purple Roadrunner theme, as inspired buy a guy here who I've saw who made a very tastefully done Shelby tribute cat. Dust trail and Air Grabber decal inbound, and a pair of flat black stripes running up the deck. I'm going to wet sand the paint now to remove a few imperfections, and apply decals when they arrive, then clear coat it all.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

After refinishing the hull separate from the hatch, it occurs to me that I want to continue the striping up the the windshield. Seems to me it will just tie it all together. That will be this weeks chore. It has taken quite a while to get this far as I've had some touching up to do here and there before continuing on. painting requires a few days to dry between coats, and I rushed it a little (amateur mistake) at one point, and had to re-sand and apply in one spot. I've got to not sweat the small things, and just get this done already. Hatch fasteners have been completed, I've just got to figure out a gasket. I didn't want my new paint being peeled off by hatch tape. I just need to lay out and apply the decals that are sitting on my bench, and I hope to have the cosmetics wrapped up by next weekend.
    I believe I have all the running gear, so hopefully I can get it all together soon. As soon as things thaw around here, it will be in the water. Thanks again Dan.
    Last edited by Linewbie; 01-28-2018 at 06:27 PM.

Looking great! One question, I never have understood what that thumbscrew looking thing is sticking up on the front center of the hatch. The Zonda's have them too. Is it just a lift point?
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Thanks fweasel for the help and the kind words. Yes, that's just a lift point for the hatch.

Cosmetics complete, power train next...

So cool to see my old hot rod getting brought back in a big way! Looking good son!
    Pursuit: T-180, TP 4060/1620kv. Genesis: T-180, GoolRC 2000kv. UL-1: Bone stock. MHZ Tsunami: Full tilt SAW project!

Thanks Dan. Electronics and power train next.

Just about done. Just need to get a few O rings for the hatch retainers on the top side, and a gasket around the hatch opening. I'm waiting on a steering linkage rod end, and I need to figure the exiting water cooling line as well. I'm concerned that the stock unit placement will interfere with the port side battery while I'm trying to figure my CG. The receiver antenna wiring may need to be moved as well. Although the hull has been reinforced with CF, I hate to use an external antenna, so we are going to have to toy with that. I'm planning on running this on 6s. The motor is the stock Pursuit unit Dan included in his gift to me that specs out as a SSS 3660/1620KV, the ESC I took out of my Pursuit, which is a 125A unit, unmarked as far a manufacturer goes. Dan included the steering servo which I believe is a Futaba perhaps. Updates as soon as it's together and wet. I also purchased a few props from Steve, including Octuras X442, X445, and X447. All will need to be S&B. Where should I begin, 442 I guess? I realize and ESC upgrade is probably in order. I have one inbound from another member here. BTW, not alot of room up front for flotation, I'm going to need to get some narrow pool noodles. I hate the working height of the deck, and the hatch bubble doesn't leave much room beneath it as well. Great project all in all though, thanks so much Dan.

Last edited by Linewbie; 03-24-2018 at 04:43 PM.

So much progress in so little time, impressive. I would imagine there's a huge potential for RF interference from the motor with the antenna in that position. Be careful with that while testing.

I have a sudden urge to go drive the Charger...
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

I was wondering about radio interference as well, I'm expecting to have to move it if it gets at all glitchy. Usually I run it along the top top of the gunwale on the port side, but Ive never had a cf hull either. Ill have to keep it close.
    PS, nice day up here today, so I took my Road Runner out for a brief spin, just to unflat spot my tires and lube everything up.

I would move that antenna, before testing.

One bad glitch and you might be on shore at full speed.

Also for better cooling, rotate the motor cooler so that the output is at the highest point and center.

Off to the side like it is in the picture well leave a air bubble in the cooler, and reduce it's capability to cool the motor.

Larry
    Past NAMBA- P Mono -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Past NAMBA- P Sport -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Bump & Grind Racing Props -We Like Em Smooth & Wet

Ive already cut the motor mount on the starboard side to get the can rotated that much. I guess I can take a little more material out and spin it a little more clockwise. Check on moving the antenna. Thanks Larry.

On Flysky radios you can set the failsafe by pushing the button of the receiver and hold for 3 seconds then test it.

It that the feature that shuts down the motor if it looses contact with the transmitter? We will be out there soon Newboater. Weather looking up.

Quote Originally Posted by Linewbie View Post
    It that the feature that shuts down the motor if it looses contact with the transmitter? We will be out there soon Newboater. Weather looking up.
    Yes