Thread: What is the best hull to break 100MPH?

Default What is the best hull to break 100MPH?

So for my next new boat build I would like one that can break 100MPH reliably. So single Cat? Dual Cat? or JAE 33? What would be best and why? This will be straight line speed no need for turns as I live on a canal and do straight line speed runs.

I'm no expert, but my observations indicate that a narrow, long cat hull, with twin power will improve the reliability of making triple digits on a regular basis, which is an oxymoron, because there's twice as much that can go wrong. More voltage, less amps, will also make things better.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Right on fweasel! I think I should have been a little more specific. So I want the triple digits and reliably without all the accidental flip overs. Yes a twin cat gives 2X the potential problems and cost but would a big twin cat be better or the JAE 33 on some massive power? I'm ready to buy my next hull, should it be a custom twin cat or a outrigger like the JAE 33?

look at which hulls hold the quickest speed records and notice it is Outrigger Hydros. so build up a lightweight rigger and fit it out with a high kv motor etc etc then select the right prop and i am sure you will reach your goal., 2600 kv on 4s seems a fast choice .

It will take much less power to reach 100 mph with a rigger. Any fast boat can flip, but having set many SAW records with cats, and watching the big ones going over 130 mph, they will flip. Period.

If I wanted a 100 mph JAE33 I’d run 6S and a 1521-sized motor with a 2000-2200 Kv. A prop with 3-3.5” of pitch would get me there.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post
    It will take much less power to reach 100 mph with a rigger. Any fast boat can flip, but having set many SAW records with cats, and watching the big ones going over 130 mph, they will flip. Period.

If I wanted a 100 mph JAE33 I’d run 6S and a 1521-sized motor with a 2000-2200 Kv. A prop with 3-3.5” of pitch would get me there.

What He said....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wQrlZjnd6U
    Last edited by properchopper; 01-22-2018 at 05:04 PM.
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Thanks guys! So the JAE 33 will be my next boat. Fluid that video was great! Those crashes were crazy!

they didn,t look like rigger blow overs either. cats and monos.

If you do choose a JAE for speed runs I would highly recommend reinforcing the hulls. This can be as simple as gluing carbon or fiberglass plate to the sides and lining the tub with several layers of cloth. A little extra weight is not going to hurt and it may save you from a split hull.

Also, try using hollow booms instead of the solid ones. You will break booms and sponsons are you get up in speed and it's easier to replace a pair of booms than a broken tub.
    Make the booms the weak link and build extra sponsons.

Also, make sure you pack every square inch with flotation. Make sure the tub can float without the sponsons.

-Tyler
    Tyler Garrard
    NAMBA 639/IMPBA 20525
    T-Hydro @ 142.94mph former WR

One more thing, your canal better be wide because as you saw those crashes, they can land 10-50yards either side. If you don't have enough water on each side and you'll have similar crashes like the ones in the videos then you'll certainly be landing on land and that could mean bye bye nice rigger with hours of work put into building it. I lived in MI for over 33yrs and I know our canals they're not very wide, just for boats to get through. . .not in my general area anyways. The bigger ones were on the Canadian side. But we do have beautiful lakes and rivers which I would suggest you do your 100mph runs.

Thanks for the great tips Racemechanix!! Bp9145 I was thinking the same thing, my canal is only 50ft wide. It is wetlands on the one side then all steel seawalls on the side with houses. It's kinda white knuckle running the Genesis on the canal, for sure will need a lake for the rigger.

So I was thinking about trying something else before going all in on the JAE and 100mph, my only real FE is my Genesis which I have not even run with my new motor yet. I think I should start with another rigger just to get me more familiar with them and new real FE. I saw this one on Ebay in the link below, could I run the original 3674 2200kv from my Genesis in this on 4s?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RC-Pro-Boat...AAAOSw~vpaLL0z
    Last edited by emspjay; 01-29-2018 at 07:43 PM. Reason: info

Quote Originally Posted by emspjay View Post
    So I was thinking about trying something else before going all in on the JAE and 100mph, my only real FE is my Genesis which I have not even run with my new motor yet. I think I should start with another rigger just to get me more familiar with them and new real FE. I saw this one on Ebay in the link below, could I run the original 3674 2200kv from my Genesis in this on 4s?

Are you building it yourself? How much experience do you have? Have you driven aboat to 100 before? I think you have the right idea in working on a couple other things first. It’s sort of a learning curve and you’ll need to essentially work your way up. It takes a while sometimes especially if you do like I did and used boats that were too small and having a single drive. It was definitely a fun experience learning what worked and what didn’t.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    Are you building it yourself? How much experience do you have? Have you driven aboat to 100 before? I think you have the right idea in working on a couple other things first. It’s sort of a learning curve and you’ll need to essentially work your way up. It takes a while sometimes especially if you do like I did and used boats that were too small and having a single drive. It was definitely a fun experience learning what worked and what didn’t.
    Yes I will be building it myself. I have been building R/C cars, Helicopters, boats, and (Planes Kits not ARF) since the early 1980's. I have also worked in fiberglass/mechanical repair on full scale boats and been a electronics technician now on full scale boats for the last 16 years. I got out of the hobby's around 1996 and then got back into it in 2006 but mostly nitro planes and helicopters until about 2010, then just vintage electric cars and boats until last summer when I got the Genesis. So I really don't have much experience at all with this new FE boat stuff. That's why I joined the forum and think I need to take it slow. It took me awhile to learn how to fly the planes and heli's again back in 2006, I started at the bottom again with trainers and worked my way back up. So I think I should do the same with these new boats. I think I can build it no problem with help from the forum but think I need more time driving FE boats before I try for 100mph. I only got a few passes on the Genesis that I think are more than 50mph.

Yes I will be building it myself. I have been building R/C cars, Helicopters, boats, and (Planes Kits not ARF) since the early 1980's. I have also worked in fiberglass/mechanical repair on full scale boats and been a electronics technician now on full scale boats for the last 16 years. I got out of the hobby's around 1996 and then got back into it in 2006 but mostly nitro planes and helicopters until about 2010, then just vintage electric cars and boats until last summer when I got the Genesis. So I really don't have much experience at all with this new FE boat stuff. That's why I joined the forum and think I need to take it slow. It took me awhile to learn how to fly the planes and heli's again back in 2006, I started at the bottom again with trainers and worked my way back up. So I think I should do the same with these new boats. I think I can build it no problem with help from the forum but think I need more time driving FE boats before I try for 100mph. I only got a few passes on the Genesis that I think are more than 50mph.
    Well it sounds like you have a plan and your on the right track.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

A Jae 33" equipped with a Leopard 4082 2200kv on 6S turning a stock V947/3 prop will let you be in the 100mph club..my two cents Gill
    GO FAST AND TURN RIGHT !
    www.grsboats.com.br

Quote Originally Posted by grsboats View Post
    A Jae 33" equipped with a Leopard 4082 2200kv on 6S turning a stock V947/3 prop will let you be in the 100mph club..my two cents Gill
    Thanks for the info Gill! I decided I'm just going to buy the JAE 33 and just run it on 4S and smaller motor until I feel ready, then I will put in a big motor and run 6S. No point in buying two riggers I'm already running out of room for my R/C collection.

No problem ...one more thing ....I would suggest to run a Speedmaster rudder (.21 hidro) and good luck. Gill
    GO FAST AND TURN RIGHT !
    www.grsboats.com.br

Duplicate post. The edit function seems to be misbehaving.

With reference to this eBay seller, I purchased a 32" Arowana self righting mono hull and am most impressed with the quality. The listing shows a timber internal structure however the rails, mounts, etc., are a fibreglass composite. The gelcoat is flawless although my only criticism is the fibreglass skin will need reinforcing for any serious work.

The shipping is expensive (EMS airmail) however, after viewing the seller history no one seems to pay full price, preferring instead to use the auction function. It seems that no one other than the initial bidder actually bids on his items so the item is bought at the initial auction bid price (about half the "Buy it Now" price). The boat arrived within two days of the seller supplying the tracking number and marking as shipped. I was a little apprehensive as my hull purchasing history in China has been problematic, however, this seller restored my confidence so I purchased a second 32" self righting hull to experiment with. Cost per hull including EMS airmail shipping was $130.00 Aud ($97.50 usd). The hull is much like the Pursuit hull that Hobbyking sells only this one has the self righting capability.

The link on OSE was the only way that I could find the seller's items on eBay as searching his eBay name will show zero items for sale in his store. He has riggers, cats, two length self righting hulls plus several sailing boat hulls listed.

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    With reference to this eBay seller, I purchased a 32" Arowana self righting mono hull and am most impressed with the quality. The listing shows a timber internal structure however the rails, mounts, etc., are a fibreglass composite. The gelcoat is flawless although my only criticism is the fibreglass skin will need reinforcing for any serious work.

The shipping is expensive (EMS airmail) however, after viewing the seller history no one seems to pay full price, preferring instead to use the auction function. It seems that no one other than the initial bidder actually bids on his items so the item is bought at the initial auction bid price (about half the "Buy it Now" price). The boat arrived within two days of the seller supplying the tracking number and marking as shipped. I was a little apprehensive as my hull purchasing history in China has been problematic, however, this seller restored my confidence so I purchased a second 32" self righting hull to experiment with. Cost per hull including EMS airmail shipping was $130.00 Aud ($97.50 usd). The hull is much like the Pursuit hull that Hobbyking sells only this one has the self righting capability.

The link on OSE was the only way that I could find the seller's items on eBay as searching his eBay name will show zero items for sale in his store. He has riggers, cats, two length self righting hulls plus several sailing boat hulls listed.
    Need a like button! LOL! Great to hear that he has great products and customer service.