Thread: Thoughts on the Hobbywing Seaking 180A V3 ESC

Default Thoughts on the Hobbywing Seaking 180A V3 ESC

I'm very partial to Hobbywing stuff in my cars so I was wondering about these.

Get the Turnigy 180a esc ( same esc as the Seaking 180a ), its much cheaper & comes with an extra cap bank.

Thanks.
    So my Hobbywing programming card will work with the Turnigy?

If you have the HW prog card suitable for the HW180a marine esc + their other marine esc's then yes it works on the Turnigy 180.

https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com...-180A-SeaKings
    I would read this before you buy a 180.
    Mic

Mic Halbrehder
    IMPBA 8656
    NAMBA 1414

Well that sucks. Guess I'll look elsewhere. Thanks HTVboats for the heads up.

I just returned one under warranty for the same issue as posted, I told them I thought it was stuck in low voltage cutoff mode and would not power the motor anymore & in fact it was stuck so they sent me a new one and it too does the same thing and I had to turn off the LVC at least that part worked
    I have 4 turnigy's that give me no problems and the HW/HK Programing card works on the turningy marine too
    Last edited by MadProps; 01-17-2018 at 05:37 PM.

I have many HW 180A escs, at least 10 and not one has given me any problems. Some I've bought used and perhaps that was a good thing as I would think the seller will not sell a bad esc, especially here on OSE or the other known forums. Several HW180 I have extra caps added as well. But I did have some catch on fire because of pushing it hard or just plain old stupidity. As for the T180A they too have never given me any problems and yes I would agree with Martin as they are cheaper and have a better track record then the HW180s. If I were to make a recommendation on which to get the HW 180A or T180A I would recommend the T180A just because of their better track record. But if you decide to get the HW180A get it here or a reputable store authorized to sell them where they will honor the warranty. Now that I've mentioned it I just knocked on wood . . .hope I didn't jinx myself. LOL

I’ve also had no issues with the hobbywing 180A esc’s. I purchased them here at OSE and would recommend them.

I am a little disappointed to read that. The Hobbywing stuff I've used in my cars has been bullet proof so far. I was hoping that would have carried over into their boat offerings.
    Most of what I get for my boat I get from OSE. They have most everything I want so far and since I'm in Maine and they are in Massachusetts I get what I order very quickly and the prices seem to be very good compared to the other places I've looked.

The Hobbywing 180 that Steve sells here on Offshore has the extra cap bank too.

https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pr...seaking-180-v3

I use both Seaking & Turnigy. Some with extra caps for 6s setups. Some without for 4s setups. Some older version 2. Some newer version 3.
    The only ones that have failed me is when a motor lunched itself & took out the ESC. That's happened twice.
    Apart from that they all run flawlessly. But I will add, that I switch off the LVC & set the boats up to finish a race with some 20% - 25% of the electrons still in the battery. So I don't have to suffer early/nuisance cutoff in the last lap of a race.

I was originally looking at a 180A HW but instead got a Flycolor 150A (OSE Raider). I don't race my boats but it's lasted 2 summers. The programmer I bought for it was DOA but I found the "audio" programming via TX wasn't that hard. OSE said they've tested it with 6S and a 4092 motor. Best $35 spent o