Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 36" SilverFox Catamaran

Default 36" SilverFox Catamaran

Never really hear anything about these Hulls. Bought one and the quality seems really good so I started to build it. Being it is in the teens outside and I hate the cold may as well do something fun while trapped indoors.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That one of the eBay hulls from China?

It is ebay and they ship from Hong Kong. I believe it use to be R2 Hobbies catamaran, Now it is The build RC

Nice to know they are decent. I almost bought one before I got my Blackjack. I will keep it in mind for a future project.

They sell them as empty hulls or set up for single and twins. Mine was a empty hull but they supply you with the motor mounting kit. I just used what I had in the house though their mount looked pretty good.

This Hull is a splash of a DF Explorer. Painted notgel coat. I've had a few of their cats in the past, back then they were pretty nice.

The wood mounts they supply with some is low quality. Their composite mount might be better.

Nice splash but not the quality of DF.
    Nortavlag Bulc

It came with the composite mount which was really nice and it allows for single or dual motor mounting, they also include battery trays for mounting on the tunnel. Overall it is a pretty good bang for the buck but the real test is when I get it in the water.

Also buy that hull. Only the postal service in my country is terribly slow.
    I'm anxious to see them, the prices at the auctions were ridiculous.
    You should receive one of double motor configuration and one without drilling.
    They must be depleting the residual stock.

Possibly.
    Nortavlag Bulc

I don't now about depleting old stock. He has a web page that stated out of stock for a few days then the boat hulls were back in stock. He still may be having them made. Not sure but you can always ask him. He replies right away.

Yes, I have already bought two. Only they are detained in customs 20 days ago.
    The hull only $ 31.

For us in the USA $50 for hull 60 to ship, $110 total.

For ARG, $31hull+$65 ship+$48 tax customs, $144 total.

Quote Originally Posted by golfito View Post
    For ARG, $31hull+$65 ship+$48 tax customs, $144 total.
    It was all good till the customs tax. I emailed them their supplier is still building them the hulls.

Yes, a% 50 extra tax ...
    :triste:

In FB, there were some photos of a renewed and reinforced hull silver fox. But it did not last long, it seems to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Newboater View Post
    It was all good till the customs tax. I emailed them their supplier is still building them the hulls.
    So you Yanks are finally getting charged customs tax? I thought that you were all exempt from that up till now.
    Nortavlag Bulc

For us in the USA $50 for hull 60 to ship, $110 total.
    Missed this.
    Nortavlag Bulc

[QUOTE=ray schrauwen;708166]Missed this

Yanks huh! I’ll take it as a compliment since we won the war.
    Last edited by Newboater; 01-16-2018 at 09:34 AM.

They do not look bad!
    It is not mine. But I would like to achieve something like that.

post-6749-0-45484800-1433515753.jpg

post-6749-0-82765300-1432074439.jpg

Not really sure why they would set the motors off at that angle and then need to bend the stuffing tube. It I were to do twins I would want the motors and stuffing tube straight.

Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    So you Yanks are finally getting charged customs tax? I thought that you were all exempt from that up till now.
    Give it time Ray, if not built in USA ....

Not really sure why they would set the motors off at that angle and then need to bend the stuffing tube. It I were to do twins I would want the motors and stuffing tube straight.
    Theory is that it is better to have a bend in the flex. A straight flex can vibrate and oscillate.

Quote Originally Posted by srislash View Post
    Theory is that it is better to have a bend in the flex. A straight flex can vibrate and oscillate.
    Okay but normally the bend would be in the flex to align motor to stuffing tube. This way seems like it would have two bends for alignment. To me seems a little weird looking, but I am no boat building expert

Okay but normally the bend would be in the flex to align motor to stuffing tube. This way seems like it would have two bends for alignment. To me seems a little weird looking, but I am no boat building expert
    The bend carries thru the stuffing tube. One must bend the tube to match the natural bend of the flex. Tricky? Tedious? YUP!!! but it is what has to be done.

I just built a cat. I can assure you that this point was what caused me the most problems. And I'm left with a strange curve, like the one in that photo above.
    In my case it was because of trying to put the engine very late. There was no possible solution other than to increase the doubles.
    25396265_1772177203084013_5676064164880936863_n.jpg

There have been a few of the German fellas and now our friend Kent( CustomCF Parts) that have run very straight flex setups with the only bend being at the transom where the drive bolts thru. I think they can get away with it in larger hulls (54+”) so that the motors are not so necessarily close to the transom. There is nothing wrong with the bend as long as the flex goes straight into the drive. This will help with bearing/bushing wear.

If I admire Kent's works. His photographs are addictive.

I am learning with my boat, I am trying to do what I can by my means. It is the first, I will try a second construction with this silverfox.
    I know he curved a lot. But there is not so much friction. I think it will work. It also will not be a racing boat.

Quote Originally Posted by golfito View Post
    If I admire Kent's works. His photographs are addictive.

I am learning with my boat, I am trying to do what I can by my means. It is the first, I will try a second construction with this silverfox.
    I know he curved a lot. But there is not so much friction. I think it will work. It also will not be a racing boat.
    As long as the bent tube matches the bend of the flex there should not be much friction. As I started I would end up shimming the motor and such to get a decent alignment.
    You guys are on a good start, play with a couple cheap hulls to learn skills. You don’t feel so bad if you feel the need to redo stuff because it doesn’t.

I made the mistake of first adhering the motor supports and then forming the tube. Next will be the whole tube and the flex and then it will be attached.

If you buy these boats with that idea. To be able to work them and modify them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast