Thread: Delta Force Pirate TFL Drive and one other question.

Default Delta Force Pirate TFL Drive and one other question.

Would this work well in the Pirate hull? https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pr...rod=tfl-B42530
    I don't read much about it and that's often not a good sign but it looks to my untrained eye that it would simplify things a lot.
    Also which rudder location would be better for a boat that should turn as equally well as possible in both directions center or offset?
    I would like to get everything that requires drilling through the hull when I order the hull.
    Thanks for your time and patients.

Be aware that they recommend fitting no larger motor than a 3660 size motor, they say anything larger can damage the flex & parts.

Thanks. I'm not up to speed on motor sizing. Is a 3660 inadequate for a 35" mono hull? I'm not looking for blinding speed just decent speed with good run times and reliability.

A 3660 motor is very small for a 35" mono, personally the smallest size I would be looking at is a 4074 or better still a 4082 or even a 4092 would work well.

Thanks again. That's the type of info I'm after.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumpelhardt View Post
    Would this work well in the Pirate hull? https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pr...rod=tfl-B42530
    I don't read much about it and that's often not a good sign but it looks to my untrained eye that it would simplify things a lot.
    Also which rudder location would be better for a boat that should turn as equally well as possible in both directions center or offset?
    I would like to get everything that requires drilling through the hull when I order the hull.
    Thanks for your time and patients.
    It come with a 187 cable. It should work with a 4074

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

Right at the bottom of the OSE listing it says:
    "We recommend no larger than a 36mm diameter x 60mm long motor. Any larger could damage the flex cable or parts."

36x60 motor is small for a 35" hull.
    Have fun with that....

I think it’s a recommendation for people getting their first boat.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigP View Post
    I think it’s a recommendation for people getting their first boat.
    I think its more to do with the unsupported weight of a larger heavier motor hanging off the unit, also only using a set screw coupling on the flex isn't great at the best of time let along adding a larger more power full motor into the mix. Their may also be clearance issues with a larger diameter motor clearing the bottom of the hull.

Well I'll play it safe and go with the recommended motor mount and stinger.
    How about the rudder? Centered or offset. The boat is going to be for messing around in salt water and needs to turn well in both directions. I don't know if an offset rudder affects that or not.

Very few use an inline rudder on a mono, most use offset to the right of the stinger or strut.