Thread: List of people racing in the USA

Default List of people racing in the USA

How many people are actually racing electrics in the USA? Anyone care to guess or want to try to figure it out? Id gather far less than 200. In the states of MA, NH, ME VT there are 4 people actively trying to race.
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

One that I know of in Ohio.

5 states and 5 racers. Not such a good average so far.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

I'm admittedly not all that bright and very new to the whole rc boat thing but it would seem to me that some of the problems this hobby has is marketing. I live in a small coastal Maine town that has a fairly large percentage of the people that makes a living on the water. I don't know if any of you know people who fish for a living but most of these guys are just big kids at heart. They tend to like shiny things that go fast. Farmers and others who work hard for their money also tend to like shiny fast things. If I hadn't gotten involved in rc cars it's unlikely I ever would have heard about these boats. Maybe more exposure would help. I don't ever recall seeing an ad for rc boats.
    Look at what Traxxas does for rc cars. They have large displays and demonstrations at NHRA events all across the country that are attended by thousands. They sell dozens of rc cars at these events and introduce many to the hobby that would never be exposed otherwise. I know add campaigns like this cost a lot and not everyone has Traxxas type deep pockets but there would seem to me to be a lot to gain. In fact the thing that got me looking into FE boats was seeing the Traxxas boats in their booth at the NHRA event at NewEngland Dragway.
    Last edited by Rumpelhardt; 01-13-2018 at 04:51 PM.

Good points... I have seen boats being displayed at some APBA events, but even the full scale boats are suffering from reduced involvement. Actually, all motor sports except for NHRA is having difficulties right now. Perhaps the younger generations just aren’t gearheads like those who went thru the hot rodding period. I can’t seem to get a young kid interested, they are glued to their phones. That could end up being a game changer for all hobbies.

You make a good point with the kids who want instant gratification. A lot of them do seem to lack motivation for anything that requires time and effort.

Serious electric racers? I would guess about a dozen here in Florida.

Washington State has alot of FE racers....well over 100 racers (probally alot more)...between all the clubs.

No racers in Oklahoma by Tulsa... I’ve met some some sport boaters, older guys like me. I run at a retention pond in a good sized, upscale neighborhood. I get kids coming down to watch, but they end up walking away looking at their phone on the first text message... I am so glad I grew up appreciating hands on activities. That’s what’s missing. It starts with model building, perhaps rocketeering or just woodworking. Some liked electronics, shortwave radio and one kid was into slot cars. One kid had a model submarine! He seemed like some Einstein to me! The point is, ALL that is lost as a normal part of growing up. Mini bikes and go karts, or just fixing the lawn mower. I lived it, am I’m so much more for the rounded experience of accomplishing something... It feels like a huge loss in our modern society...

Well put Craig.

Exactly! Some of these guys don't even own a screwdriver in their home! Madness! Before you know it, we will have no skilled trades.....just a bunch of kids walking around that think they are creating things..... 'but I made this app that makes fart sounds!!' That is why I was really glad they saved the auto industry years ago.

The auto industry is part of the problem. Cars today are way to complicated and expensive. A teenager as a rule isn't going to be able to hot rod a newer car in his families garage even if he wanted too. Heck the first couple cars I owned were cars I assembled in a local junk yard with a basic set of tools, a set of chain falls and a floor jack borrowed from the old guy that owned the yard. Liability concerns alone now precludes that ever happening today.

How serious are we talking Steven? We have usually 15 to 16 consistent racers up here. Those 15 are pretty hooked. Then maybe another 10 that float in and out on any given weekend. They race but aren't super freaks. Of those maybe 5 or 6 are willing to leave their home pond.

Part of the problem trying to get kids involved in racing is the cost. It is (or can be) expensive to seriously race for an adult. For a kid......try selling your folks on a $600 boat. and batteries. and a charger. and a radio. and maybe a prop. You could do it for less if you had an line on something used and someone that liked ya. Then if they turn out to dig it and are actually good at it. ahhhhhhhhhh chA'CHINGGGGG! My brat is signed up for 11 classes at the NATS. Then we travel where ever we can get to. The dollars range into the metric ton. I feel bad when we get invited somewhere to race and have to say no but the well does run dry eventually.

Gas and nitro must have the same problem.
    Noisy person

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    How serious are we talking Steven? We have usually 15 to 16 consistent racers up here. Those 15 are pretty hooked. Then maybe another 10 that float in and out on any given weekend. They race but aren't super freaks. Of those maybe 5 or 6 are willing to leave their home pond.

Part of the problem trying to get kids involved in racing is the cost. It is (or can be) expensive to seriously race for an adult. For a kid......try selling your folks on a $600 boat. and batteries. and a charger. and a radio. and maybe a prop. You could do it for less if you had an line on something used and someone that liked ya. Then if they turn out to dig it and are actually good at it. ahhhhhhhhhh chA'CHINGGGGG! My brat is signed up for 11 classes at the NATS. Then we travel where ever we can get to. The dollars range into the metric ton. I feel bad when we get invited somewhere to race and have to say no but the well does run dry eventually.

The cost is the main reason I haven't raced in several years.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    "Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone except God.
    Billy Graham

Less people working makes for less playing with such niche toys.

I can fun run all I want but racing is expensive if you aren't working consistently.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Absolutely right! You can't load boats and equipment on airplanes, so your driving, hotel rooms, food and the registration fees. Bring your wife or better half, and you are in maybe $1500 for a 3-4 day deal! There's also getting time off from work... Man I wish there was some folks close to me, but there's not.

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    I wouldn't say it's the same. Most Nitro/Gas clubs don't have enough club racers to be self-sufficient like our MMEU group. Meaning; those that race IC are required to travel to "race". I have said this before; the MMEU club is VERY lucky that they have enough boats/participants to host club races once a month.

Just some quick numbers

Race in FL this weekend - 67 racers and 204 boats. This equates to 3 boats per racer on average
    Race in MI 2018 IMPBA FE Nats - 23 racer and 182 boats. This equates to 8 boats per racer on average

That is a dramatic difference - FE desperately needs more racers/participants. I know that if I travel with my nitro powered boats I am going to be racing against many different racers. If I travel to a FE only race, there is a good chance I am going to racing against several of my local club guys. Or in a different vanish point I will be racing against the same non-local guys that I have been racing for the last 5-8 years. Of course I am speaking in generality's.

I am not sure that I would blame it on parents spending money that quickly. There are ALOT of parents that drop some serious $$ on their kids for sports. I am not talking about your local middle/high school activities. Many kids in all age groups are involved in "Travel" hockey, soccer, baseball, and/or softball etc... We are talking about weekend trips out of state on a regular basis.

Although I am not sure why we don't have better interest.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigP View Post
    Absolutely right! You can't load boats and equipment on airplanes..
    That's not as hard as it sounds. You crate up what you want to race and ship it FedEx to another FedEx center near the race site. Has to be ground for the batteries. They hold it until you get there. Fly in, grab a mini van, grab yer gear at Fedex. Works great. Depending on the race and the destination it's another 3 to 400 or so for shipping. That's if ya go crazy. The best way is to travel with someone to defer cost. Like split the cost of the van. Split the room etc. Last run to Phoenix we rented a gigantic van for 4 of us. We could have run the hotel shuttle service. If you're going somewhere alone but you know someone else that's going from elsewhere you can still plan to share a room/ride/etc. I've roomed with guys from other states. Lots of ways to control cost once you're........addicted.

My old man used to take my kid brother all over speed skating. They also carted my sister all over the country for ballet. Neither of them speed skate or dance today. The neighbors did travel hockey. I knew a family that chased travel baseball and travel soccer. None of those kids is "going pro" anytime soon. Oh but when I tell people that Tyler and I are flying to AZ to race I get "the look". Like I'm crazy. It's not so much that parents wont spend money on their kids. I can't explain it but there is some sort of acceptance if it's "sports" but a hobby where you play with toys? Yer do'n what? For me it's a no brainer. Ty loves it. I get to spend time with friends, laughing and acting a fool, but more importantly........ I get to spend time with him. We're tight even now that he's 18. How many parents can say that really?

The numbers are strange to me. I've never been able to figure that out either. I guy will travel with 3 nitro boats and be relatively pleased but FE guys............they wont even attend an event for 3 classes.
    Noisy person

Yes, a good solution Terry... I didn’t think about that

Quote Originally Posted by CraigP View Post
    Absolutely right! You can't load boats and equipment on airplanes
    Some of our guys are going with Al Hobbs to France for the worlds again this year, last one was in the Netherlands. They take the booms and sponsons off the nitro riggers and fit them in hard sided golf bags. But you would still have to deal with the lipo restrictions for FE I guess.
    I think reaching out to the club that’s holding the race that people would be glad to help out sharing their pits with people that couldn’t bring all their gear. In Vegas there was even a guy from Japan. We convoyed RV’s from Calgary to Vegas and had an amazing time and are thinking about doing it again to Dallas.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Namba District 16
    1/8 Miss U.S., 1/8 59 Maverick, 1/8 Executone, 1/8 Smokin Joe, 1/8 Bud, MLGSX380, AC Pro40II Q Sport, AC Pro40II nitro,Twincraft mono 10s, Vision AOPC, VS1 FE, M34.