Thread: Water entering hull through the holes for the pins on the hatch

Default Water entering hull through the holes for the pins on the hatch

Anyone else noticing water in their's. Not much but just enough to be annoying to me. I couldn't figure it out until I just started squirting a little water on various parts and I found out it was the pin holes for the locator pins in the front of the hatch. It is obvious now but I was baffled for a while. I know tape would have stopped it but I didn't have any at the time and I was just making easy runs to get used to boats and making sure everything worked so I went tape free before everything froze up. This is going to be a more fun hobby than rc cars but more expensive if that's possible.
    Last edited by Rumpelhardt; 01-13-2018 at 01:18 PM.

My V3 Blackjack 29 was the driest boat I've ever owned, even with no tape. I don't see how you could take on water through those holes while running right side up in a quantity that could stop the motor.

There wasn't much water but there was some. That was the only place I could get water to enter the hull while squirting various places where I thought it could be. It's going to be a couple months before I can run it again to see if that was indeed the place. When I said "froze up" I was referring to the lake not the motor lol. After rereading my post I can see where you would make that assumption. It wasn't well worded.

Could be a leak in a water line or Barb fitting. If you're not using enough grease, possibly even up the stuffing tube too.

I thought I had plenty of grease in it but I could be wrong due to my lack of experience with these things. Maybe I can rig up some sort of pump to check the water lines. I am considering adding 4 hold down screws to the hatch like on the Veles and doing away with the pins so I can plug the holes..

Quote Originally Posted by Rumpelhardt View Post
    "This is going to be a more fun hobby than rc cars but more expensive if that's possible".
    Rc cars can get really expensive as well as you can almost upgrade every part of the car/truck or what have you and still can break on you. Regardless, if you want a quality hobby/professional grade rc land, water or air vehicle it is an expensive hobby. Many of us have thousands and thousands of $$$$ into it. That's why I give my wife everything she wants or need so that my needs and wants in this hobby is arguably justified. Even then it's best to have her permission on certain purchases as it can lead to an unhappy environment in the household.LOL

Don't tell my wife but I have an Axial Yeti that I must have close to if not over $1000 in so I know something about that. I have a few others that are up there as well but not quite to that level.

You can also check for water leaks in the plumbing using a plastic syringe full of water, simply take the water tube off of the rudder & connect to syringe. Put you finger over the water outlet to stop the flow & activate the syringe, the pressure you get will find any leaks.

The best way that i have been using for 25-30 years is a blood pressure bulb you can adapt almost any fitting to it and pump pressure into just about anything !!!

Quote Originally Posted by dasboata View Post
    The best way that i have been using for 25-30 years is a blood pressure bulb you can adapt almost any fitting to it and pump pressure into just about anything !!!
    oh that’s a good one Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by MADRCER View Post
    Just put some water in your mouth and blow into the line and that will tell you if you have a leak in your plumbing. As for checking for other leaks put the boat in the bathtub in about 8 inches or so of water and press down on the boat. Pressing down will force water in the boat through the problem area if you have one other than the holes you are talking about. Good luck with it!
    That seems like a hit and miss method, and a bit gross! Seems a vacuum/pressure hand pump with a gauge is the better, fool proof method. I test all my boats that way right before I put the charged batteries in. Gives me a sense of security it won’t sink from the inside!

I have like 3 of them we used to use them in the old days to pump air into the fuel bottles to push the nitro out and fill our tanks I learned from Remy sr
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by dasboata View Post
    I have like 3 of them we used to use them in the old days to pump air into the fuel bottles to push the nitro out and fill our tanks I learned from Remy sr
    Great idea, I’ve been plugging one end with my finger and then sucking on the other to see if my tongue stays stuck. Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Namba District 16
    1/8 Miss U.S., 1/8 59 Maverick, 1/8 Executone, 1/8 Smokin Joe, 1/8 Bud, MLGSX380, AC Pro40II Q Sport, AC Pro40II nitro,Twincraft mono 10s, Vision AOPC, VS1 FE, M34.

Quote Originally Posted by pescador View Post
    Great idea, I’ve been plugging one end with my finger and then sucking on the other to see if my tongue stays stuck. Lol

You got an 1/8 Executone? My brother drove the first version of that boat! Is it the Rolls Merlin engine?

That’s pretty cool, any pictures would be awesome. Mine has the Merlin, it’s still under construction but pretty much ready for some primer. Its been on hold while I’ve been doing a total rebuild and repaint on my Smokin Joe’s. Discovered a rotten transom in Vegas and I’ve been sanding and patching ever since lol. But I think it’s pretty much ready for paint too.

Namba District 16
    1/8 Miss U.S., 1/8 59 Maverick, 1/8 Executone, 1/8 Smokin Joe, 1/8 Bud, MLGSX380, AC Pro40II Q Sport, AC Pro40II nitro,Twincraft mono 10s, Vision AOPC, VS1 FE, M34.

Edit: he didn’t drive the first Executone, which was the Lucero hull in ‘83. He drove the ‘85 boat and got his first Unlimited victory in it at Miami. It was a Merlin...