Thread: 48” zelos build

Default 48” zelos build

Proud owner of a zelos hull,plan on making my own ESC using castle XLX ,couple of questions,will I need to add caps? Will this run 10 S?, I’ve been using turnagy 180s and want to get away from those,I usually just make fast passes one way and Cruze back and do it again ,that’s all I have room for ,I read anouther post about using an 800 KV motor ,then I’ll get the prop worked out ,first I gotta make my first ESC,any input would be appreciated,thanks ,ps,if I’m sussesfull I need to make 5 of them ,

Yes, the ESC has to be properly bypassed with the correct capacitors as close to the supply rails as possible. You have to know the mosfet part number and look up the data sheet to determine its voltage compliance. But note, there are other parts on the PCB that may be voltage limited, especially in the low voltage power supplies.

You’re taking on a big one here... The mosfets need a healthy de-rate if you want it to live. For 10s, I would use 60V Devices. Let us know if you manage to keep the magic smoke it! If you let that smoke out, it won’t work anymore, lol!

Well shoot when I read the post about the guy that made one he didn’t say anything about all that ,that’s way above my pay grade, so summer is coming and I had planned on using castle ESC , but now I need a new way to go ,what would you recommend?

Been designing and building PCB’s for 35 years now, and I wouldn’t take it on! I stick to putting upgraded capacitors on the ESC and use 20% de-rates. A Cap Bank is a great addition too!

There are guys that do what your talking about, perhaps they can comment here and both of us can learn something. Just seems like a lot of work, unless you’re going for some records or something. Get a good 12s ESC for 10s operation, it should work well for you...

What do you guys think about the MGM ESC ?

expensive
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    expensive
    no not expensive, make that "very expensive" for some of us. .LOL

I think I mis spoke ,I want to do what Craig P said just add a cap bank,I saw that the castle XLX is 8 s max so I’m only going to run 8 s on my zelos and if these work for me I’ll put the same ESC in my twins on 6 s,would the cap bank in the OSE store be adequate for my needs?im learning about the ripple effect,thanks ,

They are not top shelf, but decent enough. The 4-up bank mounted on the square PCB with half moon attachments for the wires looks pretty good. But stock seems to run low, they’re popular! Just make sure you have 50v rated caps for 8s. The ESC’s are always putting in too low a voltage cap. SW puts 35V caps in on its 8s ESC, and I’ve popped caps on those. I change those out to a much better cap by default now... if you need cap part numbers, just let me know.

I posted a PDF for duel ESC hookups you might find beneficial on “common cap Bank” thread, just below this one. The OP on that didn’t like my suggestions, doesn’t seem to know what “ground loops” are and was poking fun at me for suggesting it. Some folks.....

Well I looked for your common cap bank thread but couldn’t find it ,I don’t search very well,thanks for the info on the caps needing to be 50 v I’ll be sure and check ,the only reason I’m going with castle ESC is it seems to be the most popular by far on this forum ,I’ve used up far to many Turnagy to keep going down that road so I wanted something better and wouldn’t freak out and run my boat up on shore ,I’ve asked about SF but got mixed response to those ,so my thought is if I can run a big 1/5 scale truck on this ESC with no water cooling and no caps maybe it might work? Input please ,,,,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by CraigP View Post
    I posted a PDF for duel ESC hookups you might find beneficial on “common cap Bank” thread, just below this one. The OP on that didn’t like my suggestions, doesn’t seem to know what “ground loops” are and was poking fun at me for suggesting it. Some folks.....
    Craig, I didn't find your "common cap Bank" thread as well. I wanted to see how you did yours for comparison. Perhaps you can send me the URL thread. . .thanks

Well that was a few steps above my pay grade :), the only reason I’m messing with castle ESC is it seams everyone has problems with SF,on the forum of “ what’s your favorite ESC. it’s castle ,so what are you guys running ?

I have picked up a flier and am so far pretty happy with it. For around $200, and pretty quick shipping, it may be a good option.
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

I just bought two 300A Flier ESC's for my HPR C5009. Might get another for my mini Zonda to replace the swordfish in it now.