Thread: powering a zipkits rigger

Default powering a zipkits rigger

in the process of building a 33 FE. was going to use leopard 4082 1600kv on 6s then remembered i have a neu 1527 1D 2300kv. i would run this on 4s. if needed, i could vacuum form a taller cowl. my goals are ( in order of importance ) 1.)
    run time 2.) reliability 3.) speed. if i run the 1527 i would buy the biggest ma battery that would fit in the boat. any thoughts welcomed. thanks

The 1527 - 2300 kv will certainly get the jae/33 moving along very well . i would be looking at using something like 2 x 2s battery packs with good size C ratings and around 3000 to 4000 mah per pack giving a total mah of say 8000 mah and 14.8 volts power, this would give longer run times than a single 4s pack even though you can fit the largest 4s single pack available in this tub. esc size would have to be 220 or 240 amps to be on the safe side. i wouldn,t know what run times you would get with this combo as you can,t have the best of both worlds when it comes to big power / big speeds and of course correct prop selection.

Quote Originally Posted by rol243 View Post
    The 1527 - 2300 kv will certainly get the jae/33 moving along very well . i would be looking at using something like 2 x 2s battery packs with good size C ratings and around 3000 to 4000 mah per pack giving a total mah of say 8000 mah and 14.8 volts power, this would give longer run times than a single 4s pack even though you can fit the largest 4s single pack available in this tub. esc size would have to be 220 or 240 amps to be on the safe side. i wouldn,t know what run times you would get with this combo as you can,t have the best of both worlds when it comes to big power / big speeds and of course correct prop selection.
    I would be running a castle 240. would this power set up be better than the leopard 4082 1600 with a seaking 180 esc? thanks for your input.

Reminder - putting two 2s packs together to equal 4s will double the voltage, but not the Mah.

Quote Originally Posted by trigger View Post
    Reminder - putting two 2s packs together to equal 4s will double the voltage, but not the Mah.
    so to get the max run time, i need to run single 4s or single 6s with the max mah, or (2) 3s packs with max mah or (2) 2s packs with max mah.

Or you could parallel two 4s packs say 2x4s 4000mah for 4s 8000mah. Or same principle with 6s. Space in the hull will be the deciding factor. Sounds like you should do some research first before putting lipos together if you don’t understand what your doing flames can follow quickly. Several years ago I wasn’t sure and ignited a large fire, total loss rc boat fire.

Default powering zipkits rigger

Quote Originally Posted by trigger View Post
    Or you could parallel two 4s packs say 2x4s 4000mah for 4s 8000mah. Or same principle with 6s. Space in the hull will be the deciding factor. Sounds like you should do some research first before putting lipos together if you don’t understand what your doing flames can follow quickly. Several years ago I wasn’t sure and ignited a large fire, total loss rc boat fire.
    thanks, yes, I understand parallel and series. could you explain how to determine what set up (leopard verses neu ) would yield longer run times. is there a formula ? thanks again. my next step should be finding out how much battery i can fit in the boat, then which set up would work better ?

Quote Originally Posted by urbs00007 View Post
    could you explain how to determine what set up (leopard verses neu ) would yield longer run times. is there a formula ? thanks again.
    I’m sure there is a way to figure it out, using the max Watts from each set up to figure a baseline. But, I’d have to google that formula to remind myself. Both set ups are perfectly reasonable in my opinion. Personally the 4s set up can have you very fast, and may leave some extra space for more Mah.

a 1600 kv motor is more suited to 6s battery power as opposed to the 2300 kv which is too much for 6s but good for 4s power. you set up 2 x 2s 3000 mah packs in series which will give you a capacity of a 4s - 3000 mah pack., many say this is a better set up than running a single 4s pack plus you can get alot more mah,s by doubling up the 2 x 2s packs .
    Last edited by rol243; 01-22-2018 at 03:04 PM.

a 1600 kv motor is more suited to 6s battery power as opposed to the 2300 kv which is too much for 6s but good for 4s power. you set up 2 x 2s 3000 mah packs in series which will give you a capacity of a 4s - 6000 mah pack., many say this is a better set up than running a single 4s pack plus you can get alot more mah,s by doubling up the 2 x 2s packs .
    As stated before, if you put 2x2s 3000mah packs in series you get 4s x3000mah, not 6000mah.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    EB Taipan Schulze 32/200 1527 1d. 4s 5000 115kph
    CoCr Racing Propellors
    http://cocrracing.com.au

Thats correct Peter, my mistake.

Cool

The same battery weight will give the same run time, assuming the same speed. Example, for a certain speed requiring 2000 watts use 4S pulling 135 amps, or 6S pulling 90 amps. A 4S/6000 mAh pack will last 130 seconds, a 6S/4000 mAh pack will last the same time. Using 6S lowers the amp draw substantially as long as the boater exercises restraint in prop size.

In this case the amp draw depends on the prop used with each motor, there is no reliable way to accurately calculate what the amp draw will be, just rough estimates. Using the maximum amp draw value given by the motor maker is a wasted effort, a cheap motor will have a lower maximum (assuming the maker isn’t lying) than an expensive motor, it tells you nothing about actual amp draw.

BTW the 1527 is way bigger and heavier than required, but since the OP has it....

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post
    The same battery weight will give the same run time, assuming the same speed. Example, for a certain speed requiring 2000 watts use 4S pulling 135 amps, or 6S pulling 90 amps. A 4S/6000 mAh pack will last 130 seconds, a 6S/4000 mAh pack will last the same time. Using 6S lowers the amp draw substantially as long as the boater exercises restraint in prop size.

In this case the amp draw depends on the prop used with each motor, there is no reliable way to accurately calculate what the amp draw will be, just rough estimates. Using the maximum amp draw value given by the motor maker is a wasted effort, a cheap motor will have a lower maximum (assuming the maker isn’t lying) than an expensive motor, it tells you nothing about actual amp draw.

BTW the 1527 is way bigger and heavier than required, but since the OP has it....

thanks fluid. should have checked the fit of my esc. that castle with added cap bank isn't going to fit without running extremely long wires. so I will run my leopard 4082 1600 on 6s with the seaking 180. just as well. a little over-powered with the 1527. everybody's input appreciated as always.

You must be selective when putting 6s into this hull. Measure your space and search size. I had to sand the bottom of the battery tray to get some room. Could not find 2x3s to fit so went with 6s and 5000mah after some search.

the jae / 33 has plenty of battery space from what i have seen in mine. are you thinking of the jae 21/fe ?

I have the 33 built and a 6s takes up all the room.

Quote Originally Posted by chevelledude View Post
    I have the 33 built and a 6s takes up all the room.
    the jae / 33 tub is 3 1/4 inches wide on the inside, you have a large 6s pack there.

Default powering zipkits rigger

the jae / 33 tub is 3 1/4 inches wide on the inside, you have a large 6s pack there.
    havent researched battery dimensions yet, but if needed, I could build new hatch cover to clear a too big battery.

a Zippy 5000 mah - 6s pack has dimentions of ; 5 3/4 inches long x 2 inches wide x 1 3/4 high. [ 144 x 51 x 44 ]