Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: (Moved)Another P Limited / Spec motor discussion

Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    I've seen you buy and sell numerous motors for spec class racing. Those tenshock motors weren't cheap. Are you ableto recover those losses by reselling them? Do you still have them?
    Yes, I do buy and sell a lot. The Tenshock motors are gone. Ended up with those over false specs shown. Took a loss but they're gone.
    Myself and a couple others in MMEU have reached into our pockets to see what's possible. And as for me... I'd like to get past all this discussion and race. So lets get some of these high dollar motors in service and see what actually happens is my thought. The 1412 didn't prove to be dominant in terms of speed. They were good and moved my boats up the scale a little but nothing that would burn the doors off some other cheaper options. The Proboat performed nice and so did that new SSS 6-Pole.

I didn't end up being able to race much thou and didn't really have time to fully set my boats up for max speed. My conclusions are drawn from my one race event and what another member saw out of the 1412s. Also... I believe Terry threw one of the 1412s in Tyler's sport hydro and didn't see any huge improvement. It ran as great as it always does, but not better. From what I heard...
    Have fun with that....

A claiming rule does not cap what you can pay for a motor. I simply sets a price that deters you from using a motor that costs more than the claiming price. I threw out $125 assuming most of the mass produced motors are under $100. The claiming price could and should be reviewed to reflect the current market. If manufacturer's comes out with better motors, boats or hardware that's positive evolution and should be encouraged. Having some sort of regulation to ensure racing on a budget is positive. Claiming just closes the door on "what ifs". It is not for you to buy the motor to win the next race.
    Again a simple 37X62 class of power seems to have a lot of support. The other end of limiting size is watts. This allows using less expensive ESC's and batteries. This will draw more new people and IC racers to FE power.
    Mic

Mic Halbrehder
    IMPBA 8656
    NAMBA 1414

Quote Originally Posted by HTVboats View Post
    Claiming just closes the door on "what ifs".
    Mic
    I don't think it does...
    "What if" my 1415s are put into service or I sell them on eBay and someone else puts them into service because they picked them up for $150ea and don't have much to loose if they get claimed. As I said... it will become a spectacle of people attempting to make a claim at the end of each race.
    This could happen with a variety of situations and just cause a cancer to spread that makes it so a new guy can't compete anyway because they don't have and can't get one of these claimed motors. And even if they have the means to go spend the $235 to get a 1415 of their own... they probably won't because they'd just be afraid it'd be claimed if they won with it.
    Have fun with that....

There is the what if. I do not think for a minute anyone is going to get a deal and risk loosing their motor. If that happened once a year it wouldn't affect racing in general.
    Forget claiming just do voltage-length-and motor 37X62. If cut 1415's dominate so be it.
    Mic

Mic Halbrehder
    IMPBA 8656
    NAMBA 1414

Forget claiming just do voltage-length-and motor 37X62. If cut 1415's dominate so be it.
    Mic
    It does seem to be where we are at... And I don't think the 1415 is going to dominate. And even if it does a little, it probably won't be long until Proboat and others start cramming a 37x62mm can at a better price. Especially if both NAMBA and IMPBA have similar motor rules which will stick for long term.

And BTW... Terry,
    Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    Note 2:
    Motor to be an in-runner to a maximum of 37mm x
    62mm, any kv, any speed controller, readily
    available from manufacturers
    (no hand winds, no
    can mods).
    What happens if a motor is discontinued and no longer "readily available from manufacturers"? Maybe soon to be AQs.
    Would people have to pull them from their boats even if still working fine?
    I know ridiculous... But as worded, they would.
    Have fun with that....

Why not add a weight?
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Vaccaro View Post
    Why not add a weight?
    I'll let you know when I get my final 1415 motors delivered in the next couple weeks, but as of right now... there is only 30 gram difference between one of the heaviest favorite motors (TP3630) and a Neu 1415 in its spec 70mm long can. These weights are with no connectors.
    TP 3630 = 263 grams
    Neu 1415 = 293 grams

We'll see how close that gets pulled together once my final 62mm long 1415s come in. Plus don't forget that weight could be altered by wire lengths and shaft lengths.

Lets just assume we set a weight limit at 280 grams to allow for 15 grams in connectors/solder/shrink and leave some play for the TP 3630 to be legal.
    Once those 1415s are cut down they may be in the 280 grams area and I may be able to offset the extra 15 grams for connectors/solder/shrink by cutting down wire lengths and taking as much as possible off the shaft.

I think its going to be very close and probably not enough difference to set a limit and start having people pull motors out of their boats to be weighed.
    Have fun with that....

Quote Originally Posted by dethow View Post
    I'll let you know when I get my final 1415 motors delivered in the next couple weeks, but as of right now... there is only 30 gram difference between one of the heaviest favorite motors (TP3630) and a Neu 1415 in its spec 70mm long can. These weights are with no connectors.
    TP 3630 = 263 grams
    Neu 1415 = 293 grams

We'll see how close that gets pulled together once my final 62mm long 1415s come in. Plus don't forget that weight could be altered by wire lengths and shaft lengths.

Lets just assume we set a weight limit at 280 grams to allow for 15 grams in connectors/solder/shrink and leave some play for the TP 3630 to be legal.
    Once those 1415s are cut down they may be in the 280 grams area and I may be able to offset the extra 15 grams for connectors/solder/shrink by cutting down wire lengths and taking as much as possible off the shaft.

I think its going to be very close and probably not enough difference to set a limit and start having people pull motors out of their boats to be weighed.
    30 grams is a big diff between the 2. cutting 10mm off the case length shouldn't make a huge diff in weight.
    Steven Vaccaro

30 grams is a big diff between the 2. cutting 10mm off the case length shouldn't make a huge diff in weight.
    I'll let you know. But there will be about 8 to 10mm coming off case, shaft and wires.
    Have fun with that....

Quote Originally Posted by MarkF View Post
    The new rules say 62mm can length but nothing about the stator length. To me, the stator length is more important than can and should have been included in the rules. We all know a 1515 can be cut down to meet the new can length. I know Neu has received orders to have 1412 motors cut down to meet specs. People are already trying to cheat. You should have put in there no longer than 1" stator lengths like real spec motors have if you want an even playing field. Just leaving the rules to can lengths opens the door for cheating.

Mark
    BTW… I pulled out my measurements spread sheet when looking up the answer on weights for Steve’s question… I ran into my rotor measurements on various motors. From what I see the rotors in the motors look to be similar in length to the stator as you suggest we limit length to 1” or 25.4mm.

First of all, the TP3630 front end is not open enough to even get a measurement so that motor would have to be opened.
    Second, just two examples that have a rotor/stator much longer than 25.4mm.
    DYNM 3835 1500kv has a rotor length of 39.1mm
    SSS 3656 2030kv has a rotor length of 35.8mm

The Neu 1412s rotor is only 30.0mm long.
    But the 1415s rotor is 38.1mm long.

So you have to set a limit at 40mm to allow for a very popular Dynamite motor and that limit would NOT knock out Neu motors.

I did confirm the measurements on the Dynamite, SSS, and Neu 1412 motors before writing this. I cannot confirm my measurements on the Neu 1415 right now as it’s not currently in my hands. But the others were confirmed just as I had them in my spread sheet so I’ll assume I have them correct on the 1415 as well.

I think this is very telling on why the Dynamite 1500kv is such a beast. I wish I had one of the Dynamite 3831 2000kv motors that guys have been using and kicking some butt with. This is the UL-19 motor. I bet that rotor will be at least similar to the Dynamite 3835 motor at 39mm long.
    Last edited by dethow; 01-13-2018 at 02:30 PM.
    Have fun with that....

Also... Steve,

I was looking up some specs for the Dynamite 3831 2000kv and the weight issue is blown up.
    It looks like that motor weighs 296 grams which is more than the Neu 1415 in its spec 70 mm can at 293 grams. I don't know if that includes connectors but either way you'd have to knock that motor out to try and exclude a Neu 1415 with a weight limit.

But based on all this... there is probably no reason a Neu 1415 made to 62mm long should out perform this $80 Dynamite 3831 motor. The Neu will weigh less and have a similar to slightly smaller rotor/stator.

DYNM3831.jpg

OHHH!!!! Just realized the 296 gram weight on the Dynamite 3831 probably includes the cooling can and bullet connectors which comes installed. It'd be great if someone could provide a bare weight with no cooling can and connectors along with a length on the rotor/stator for this motor. May help answer some questions. Connectors wouldn't be a big issue if they stay on. Three 5.5mm bullets weight about 8 grams, so I'm thinking with solder and shrink we'd probably be at about 10 to 11 grams for those.
    We won't have the final answers until my 1415s come in thou.
    Last edited by dethow; 01-13-2018 at 02:37 PM.
    Have fun with that....

If you add a parameter like weight it makes removal of the motor mandatory to inspect. Much more complex for contest officials. After a heat or race inspections are rare as it is. 37X62 is done by a simple measuring device. Racers can kind of visually police themselves knowing what motors look like.
    Mic

Mic Halbrehder
    IMPBA 8656
    NAMBA 1414

If you add a parameter like weight it makes removal of the motor mandatory to inspect. Much more complex for contest officials. After a heat or race inspections are rare as it is. 37X62 is done by a simple measuring device. Racers can kind of visually police themselves knowing what motors look like.
    Mic
    Agreed... we're just playing out the "what ifs".
    And it not only would require the removal of motor, but we'd have to remove the cooling can and collet as they vary in weights. Some cooling cans are a pain to get on and off. So... agreed.
    Have fun with that....

You can add weight as a secondary requirement. The only time that would come up is in a big race event. I don't think during club races anyone would care unless there was a solid standout, then it could be checked.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Steven Vaccaro

OHHH!!!! Just realized the 296 gram weight on the Dynamite 3831 probably includes the cooling can and bullet connectors which comes installed. It'd be great if someone could provide a bare weight with no cooling can and connectors along with a length on the rotor/stator for this motor. May help answer some questions. Connectors wouldn't be a big issue if they stay on. Three 5.5mm bullets weight about 8 grams, so I'm thinking with solder and shrink we'd probably be at about 10 to 11 grams for those.
    We won't have the final answers until my 1415s come in thou.
    The cooling can off a Dynamite 3835 motor weight 22 grams and if we figure the connectors at 10 grams we would have the Dynamite 3831 motor at about 264 grams which is similar to the TP 3630.
    Have fun with that....

You can add weight as a secondary requirement. The only time that would come up is in a big race event. I don't think during club races anyone would care unless there was a solid standout, then it could be checked.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Maybe... Maybe... to keep out any fully stuffed Frankenstein custom made motors, but I don't believe a weight limit will exclude a Neu 1415 motor.

But with that said there IS more room to be used in a 62mm can then even a 1415 will use. Example being that the rotor in the Dynamite 3835 is 3.5mm closer in the front than the Neu 1415 is. I think a custom Frankenstein motor could be made to hold as much as a 45mm rotor/stator. Which is 6mm longer than the Dynamite and 7mm longer than the Neu 1415.

That is coming from my measurements taken on the Dynamite 3835 which has the least amount of space from front and rear to rotor ends.
    The rotor is 7.2mm from front and 9.6mm from rear. Can is 55.9mm long, so 55.9 minus 7.2 and minus 9.6 equals a 39.1mm rotor.

With these measurements applied to a 62mm can the results would be... 62.0 minus 7.2 and minus 9.6 equals a 45.2mm rotor.

So I don't think you have a bad point here Steve. Maybe there should be some kind of weight limit in the 285 gram area and maybe even just call it an even 300 grams. This comes from the TP 3630 at 263 grams and estimated Dynamite 3831 at 264 grams and then add 15 grams for connectors/solder/shrink and we're at 279 grams.
    Have fun with that....

So I don't think you have a bad point here Steve. Maybe there should be some kind of weight limit in the 285 gram area and maybe even just call it an even 300 grams. This comes from the TP 3630 at 263 grams and estimated Dynamite 3831 at 264 grams and then add 15 grams for connectors/solder/shrink and we're at 279 grams.
    I would take (current heaviest motors) a TP3630, add 5.5 bullets to the stock length wires and weigh it. Also weigh a Dynamite 3831 with the factor installed 5.5 bullets but with the cooling can removed. See where they are and maybe add 5 to 10 grams for slight manufacturing differences and maybe some future products but still kept within reason to not knock out existing/current motors from being able to compete.
    Have fun with that....

The new Pro boat u-l 19 hydro motor be legal for impbÃ*!** and namba P limited sport hydro? Getting back into F E after 17 yrs.

Thanks Jerry Pelletier

Quote Originally Posted by jerry123 View Post
    The new Pro boat u-l 19 hydro motor be legal for impbÃ*!** and namba P limited sport hydro? Getting back into F E after 17 yrs.

Thanks Jerry Pelletier
    The motor that comes in that boat is not legal under the current NAMBA national rules and there are no IMPBA national rules for a limited or spec motor class. There may be a rule change coming to NAMBA which would make this motor legal but details are being worked out. There are some NAMBA and IMPBA clubs which are actually running different rules that may include that motor. I'd check in with your local club you intend to race with and/or check the race fliers for any national event you want to attend.

Some IMPBA events which include electric classes are individually defining what motor rules are being used for limited/spec classes. Both of these races would include the motor that comes in that boat.
    2018 IMPBA SPRING NATIONALS in GA is going with max dimensions of 37mm can diameter X 62mm can length.
    2018 IMPBA FE Nationals in MI is going with max dimensions of 37mm can diameter X 62mm can length and shall not exceed 268 grams weight (minus can cooler, collet, mounting fasteners, and motor connectors).

See section 28, pages 5 and 6 of the NAMBA rule book for current motors allowed in limited classes. These are pages 101 and 102 of the pdf file.
    http://namba.com/content/library/rul...a_rulebook.pdf
    Have fun with that....

The rule proposal was withdrawn from namba.. some districts have adopted it.. but with people doing the 1415 thing put a damper in it.. I’m not in agreeable with the weight thing.. the whole idea was to make it easy to tech.. I’m thinking making the dimensions smaller say 36.2 by 58 or 60 max.. but will be keeping eye on it.. so for this years namba nationals it will be the approved motor list

Default u l 19 pro boat p limited hydro

You would think that pro boat says in the discription that the boat is namba legal and that would include motor too.

Quote Originally Posted by jerry123 View Post
    You would think that pro boat says in the discription that the boat is namba legal and that would include motor too.
    Yes it is for "P" class, but not for "P Limited class"

Larry
    Past NAMBA- P Mono -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Past NAMBA- P Sport -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Bump & Grind Racing Props -We Like Em Smooth & Wet

Quote Originally Posted by rayzerdesigns View Post
    I’m thinking making the dimensions smaller say 36.2 by 58 or 60 max.. but will be keeping eye on it.. so for this years namba nationals it will be the approved motor list
    Yeah maybe. That might eliminate a couple TP's but if that keeps someone from inventing something insane it may be worth it.

Interesting to me is the fact that the motor list was and still is virtually un-techable.

The weight thing is not that big of a deal Ray. Think about every other class that has some form of limitation. Nitro and gas have limitations. You have to actually disassemble the motors to know with certainty they are correct. A weight limit for us is drop it on a scale. Dropping it on a scale - would only happen if there was some clearly obscene fast motor that raised suspicion of other racers. Like a "hmmmmmmmmm?" moment.

We need to take a minute and give ourselves some credit I think. For all the on-line hand wringing over it, on race day there was never any discourse. Maybe a level of trust exists that we don't give ourselves credit for. With the list, you could have rewound them to look factory. You could have swapped bearings. No way to prove that really either. Heck, from outside the can you would never know if the rotor was factory. Can you modify that somehow? I have no clue on that. All these things could maybe have been done (not to my knowledge BTW) and were impossible to prove or disprove. To tech the motor list you would have had to take them completely apart and check them against the original manufacturers specifications. Two AQ 2030's from different lots had different wires. "Unmodified" is right in the text. So.....prove it's "unmodified". Yet, no protests.........ever. 9 years or so.......and not a single motor protest anywhere. Not at a Cup. Not at a nationals.

I predict that with any new guidelines this will still be the case. L x W x W. Simple. Most guys would look inside someones boat. See motor x,y,z. Recognize it. Know what it was and a protest doesn't come. If it ever did, it will still be less intrusive than the procedure for a B hydro protest. Perspective.

Is there going to be a NAMBA FE nats this year Ray? I would be concerned that the motor list would hinder participation since most/some (how bout many?) of the country is moving away from that. A NAMBA nats might be a good place to establish proof of concept since there are fewer NAMBA clubs of late to use for reference. Of those I'm not sure there is consensus. I'm no NAMBA expert though.
    Noisy person

What's odd or maybe funny is that only 1/10 the scale RC car brushless motors are completely rebuildable and designed for being teched and or rebuilt. Too bad all brushless motors aren't as rebuildable. Teching them by teardown would be easier.

Just sharing silly morning thoughts....
    Nortavlag Bulc

So all I need to do is swap out the motor for an approved p limited sport hydro motor.

Hey everyone… I want to start with an apology for going off on the IMPBA BODs in another thread regarding this issue. We need to be patient and I get that. I just lost it when told via some private messages (from an unnamed person) that told me IMPBA will NEVER make a national rule. After settling down, I THINK this person may have just been upset as well and maybe spoke a little out of turn. Only time will tell.

But I digress and hope everyone reads this in its entirety.

I re-read through this thread and the other which has been closed. I believe there is some closure to be had and as many have pointed out to me… we just need patients. I hope both NAMBA and IMPBA will look at things over the next couple years and we get to the goal we’ve all been looking for. A long lasting national rule set that provides cost effectiveness, motor inclusiveness, motor parity and participation.

I hope (and I think we all do) that both organizations come to a similar or even exact same rule set. I’d propose we just move on from P-Limited and have both organizations call it P-Spec. As I’ve heard from several… this is like a whole new thing and lets just leave P-Limited in the past.

As for the seemingly end result after years of debate…
    37-mm diameter x 62-mm length x 268-grams weight is the motor rule which will be utilized at the 2018 IMPBA FE Nationals in Michigan. Kudos to the IMPBA FE Director (Mike Ball) and the Core Members of MMEU (Terry Davis and Tom Castellani) for working through the issues put in front of you. Sorry I was the one which caused those issues and caused you more work and debate. My intent was for the better good.

With that said… I’m glad I did. I think we would have had a disaster on our hands if we first went with the “As Manufactured” thing or just did the diameter x length only.
    The “As Manufactured” thing brings a lot of questions and gets really muddy with how its interpreted. I believe those questions have been faced and Terry Davis already agreed in this thread that was a bad idea.
    “Diameter x Length Only” leaves the door wide open for expensive custom motors that would dominate the class. I will be putting my 62mm long Neu 1415 motors in my boats and running them at MMEU practices to prove this out to Terry. We’ll see what happens. Brian Buaas chimed in on the issue and believes these 1415s will be a problem for the class based on experience with these motors. I spoke out on the issue because once I had them in my hands, saw how stuffed they are with copper and felt how heavy they were… I knew these motors would be very bad for the class. They’d been good for me (for one season) but had a rule actually passed it would have created a disaster and the Naysayers of a P-Limited rule change would have been saying “TOLD YOU SO”.

As for the current Naysayers that adding the weight is bad because we want to make this easy to tech… I think Terry Davis did a good job in post #83 to cover this thought. Weight is not hard to tech and without it we have no rule. There is no other SIMPLE way to keep “insane” out of the class.

P-Spec Motor Rule of 37-mm diameter x 62-mm length x 268-grams weight will get everything we want out of the class.
    - It will include all motors currently on the NAMBA P-Limited motor list.
    - It will include many new motor choices which have been proving out to not be ridiculous (in terms of speed or price) compared to current P-Limited motors. Some new motors are even more cost effective. Race testing will continue.
    - It will block out “insane” motors that can be custom made by manufactured, made in someone’s basement, or may even come along someday in a RTR boat.
    - (Most of all) It will provide years upon years of racing with no rule changes needed. Just cannot see a world where we won’t have many choices available. From old motors no longer made, to existing/new motors coming in some RTR, and to existing/new motors not from any RTR.

My hope is that we can tamp down the naysaying on the weight addition and let’s see how it proves out at race events. The question of not being easy to tech is just plain wrong. As Terry pointed out, this is vastly easier to tech than the current P-Limited rules and easier to tech then several of the gas/nitro classes.
    I think the bigger thing to be proven out is lack of protests and thus even a need to tech. BUT… IF there EVER is a protest… at least we’ll have something to tech that WILL shut down ANY and ALL debate. That is what makes this a good rule proposal.

I hope and beg NAMBA and IMPBA to keep an open mind and I ask clubs to adopt these P-Spec Motor Rules so we can start to see results.

Sorry again…
    and I’m really not the A-hole I may have come across as being in the other thread. Passionate and wanting results… YES! Wanting results so that this debate can end once and for all.
    Have fun with that....

I kinda mentioned it earlier there. On race days...............there just is no debate. Nobody is wringing their hands about it at all. It's only on line that minds are lost. It's truly bizarre. It's like a different group of humans. Once we stop bickering about it like teenage girls, the BOD's form each organization will look at the results instead of the rhetoric.

Couple guys asked me the same question about the timing on a national set of rules. "What's the difference really?" If we had a rule set today, next month, or next year. Makes no danged difference. Venues (like a NATs, spring nats, MCup) will cater to what puts butts on the drivers stand...............until it doesn't. Tougher for NAMBA because they're already saddled to the old set. It will require monumental effort to get a trial set run at a national event. Heck, some of them believe that if it aint in the book it's not insured.

Jerry, if yer racing NAMBA you would need to swap out the motor for one on the list to be legal. Worth checking with the guys you plan to run with though. Many locale have opted for a revised version of "limited" based on dimensional data. That being 37mm x 62mm x 268 grams max. The 268 grams thing is something we only recently added. Motors that weigh in more than that are typically custom made. Possible of course. Hence the rule but rarely seen.
    Noisy person

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post

Couple guys asked me the same question about the timing on a national set of rules. "What's the difference really?" If we had a rule set today, next month, or next year. Makes no danged difference. Venues (like a NATs, spring nats, MCup) will cater to what puts butts on the drivers stand...............until it doesn't. Tougher for NAMBA because they're already saddled to the old set. It will require monumental effort to get a trial set run at a national event. Heck, some of them believe that if it aint in the book it's not insured.
    He's right!

For those that are wondering, Limited boats are P Class boats and won't jeopardize a site.
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Just wanted to update this with some info regarding motor size. I recently found a 36x58 size motor that had some solid looking numbers as listed by the manufacturer. I ordered one up to see how it would do in my new p-ltd cat. Before installing the motor I ran several times and at different ponds located in Southern CA with the gps speed consistently reading 50 mph ( 49.8, 50.3, 50.1, 49.7, etc) for my set up which is/was a AQ1800 kv motor and a stock prop from a ProBoat Zeles 29 that I sharpened and balanced. Then, changing nothing but the motor I ran again. To my delight my boat was now running 5 mph faster, on one run I hit 56 and change. The kv on the new motor was slightly higher, what was surprising is the amp draw was very close to the same. This motor retails for $99.99 usd and is available to anyone willing to place the order. I didn't have to call the manufacturer to have it specially made or anything. My AQ cooler was a direct fit.

I think we are trying to eliminate cases where a simple motor swap would yield a 5+ mph gain but how do we do that? To put that in perspective I was prop testing with the AQ 1800 and saw a 4 mph increase going from a m445 to the 1716. So how much of this is to blame on the motor and how much is to blame on the prop?

Michael

Can you give me some more information on the motor and where to get it?

Larry
    Past NAMBA- P Mono -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Past NAMBA- P Sport -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Bump & Grind Racing Props -We Like Em Smooth & Wet

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast