Thread: Gps

Default Gps

Any suggestions on a GPS it would solely be used to record speed runs

Check ebay for a Garmin Forerunner 101,201,or 301. Or the dynamite gps linked below.

http://www.advantagehobby.com/256353...yABEgIUe_D_BwE
    TFL Zonda (124mph), Miss Geico Zelos 36 (108mph), Veles 29 (91mph), Zelos Twin 36 (90mph), Miss Geico 29v3 (83.5mph), Sonicwake 36 V2 (83mph), Blackjack 42 (81mph), TFL Pursuit (79mph), UL-19 (75mph), Sonicwake 36 (73mph), Motley Crew (47.5mph), AquaCraft Rescue 17

I have both the Garmin Forerunner 101 and the 201 and it seems the 201 picks up the satellite signal faster. Also I've put both in the same boat and sometimes they were off with each others readings as much as 2mph. Usually with the 101 less than the 201. So I would go for the 201 as it would give you higher speed readings. . and that I like more. LOL. and as Mark indicated you can get them on eBay for a great price as these are older models.

I use the Forefunner 201 and 301 models. The 201 uses a proprietary charger and the 301 charges straight from mini-USB.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Thank you everyone

These are runners watch's is that correct

no ,not watches persay . wearable yes ,would i consider it a "watch" no .
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Garmin-Fore...YAAOSwPypaTvVI
    Last edited by boatsrnew2me; 01-11-2018 at 03:16 PM.
    volantex vector pro ,proboat veles 29 , traxxas spartan, hobbyking/tfl pursuit ,ft009 with rescue rigging

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesR View Post
    These are runners watch's is that correct
    Yes, the Forerunner 20X series was the original design from Garmin as a wearable GPS device, promoted to runners, hikers, and bikers. The velcro wrist-strap is removeable with traditional watch band spring loaded pins.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

RC BoatBitz out of AUS has some new tech you could consider. It's real time telemetry with GPS. All waterproof for use in boats and sends data back to Android device in real time with average and top speed readings. I think these would be nice for speed runs as you'll also get real time reading on motor, esc and battery temps.

I bought a couple of these to test this summer. I'm really surprised by the small light weight components. Garmin 301 weight is 2.3 oz while all components for this system total in at 2.4 oz. That includes sending unit, GPS unit, and all sensors. Costs $77.50 USD plus shipping from AUS. OSE sells these for $65 but out of stock for some time now. OSE's additional images show the nice read outs you get.

Only real drawback compared to a Garmin is that you need a different system for each boat and/or setup for easy transfer. But I think it would take unwanted time no matter what to transfer all components from one boat to another.

http://www.rcboatbitz.com/index.php?...oducts_id=2629
    https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pr...prod=ose-83279
    Have fun with that....

I did not mean to refer to it as a watch .I meant it's wearable which was just a way of describing it .I'd just like to know if it will work Thanks

Charles, Yes the Garmin Forerunner series work well in boats, as long as they aren't made out of carbon fiber. See below pictures of both units.

102417 Zelos 90mph.JPG geico 77.8 mph run 2 9-24-17.JPG Veles 29 77mph pic in boat.jpg
    Last edited by MADRCER; 01-14-2018 at 02:29 PM.
    TFL Zonda (124mph), Miss Geico Zelos 36 (108mph), Veles 29 (91mph), Zelos Twin 36 (90mph), Miss Geico 29v3 (83.5mph), Sonicwake 36 V2 (83mph), Blackjack 42 (81mph), TFL Pursuit (79mph), UL-19 (75mph), Sonicwake 36 (73mph), Motley Crew (47.5mph), AquaCraft Rescue 17

There is a big difference in the watch style GPSs and the much bigger but still wearable devices. All the watch styles only ping the satellites at 1hz to save their tiny battery, whereas most of the bulky wearable ones like the garment above ping at 10hz.

dethow, does that telemetry system save a log of the run to the phone as well as showing live data? I have always seen loggers as much more useful than telemetry as I can't look at data and drive at the same time.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

Quote Originally Posted by NativePaul View Post
    There is a big difference in the watch style GPSs and the much bigger but still wearable devices. All the watch styles only ping the satellites at 1hz to save their tiny battery, whereas most of the bulky wearable ones like the garment above ping at 10hz.
    Agreed.

Not to split hairs, but the Forerunner 101, 201, and 301 were the first watch style units. The reason they didn't look as much like watches or run on actual watch batteries as the models do today, was because the technology wasn't there at the time.
    Last edited by fweasel; 01-12-2018 at 03:50 PM.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Thank you for information

Quote Originally Posted by NativePaul View Post
    dethow, does that telemetry system save a log of the run to the phone as well as showing live data? I have always seen loggers as much more useful than telemetry as I can't look at data and drive at the same time.
    I haven't used them yet... but from what I've read and seen on OSEs additional photos it shows live data AND logs with both average and max for speed and temps.

Understood that no one can look at data and drive at the same time... but it'd be nice to be able to check out your speed and temps right after making a speed pass. And be able to see when your temps have dropped to a safe level for your next pass.

As for oval racing... I'd like to stop my boat after a lap of testing a new prop to see what speed was and where temps are without having to bring it in and untape. If speeds look good and temp looks good... now I'll throw down a few laps, stop and see where temps got to. This could reduce testing and setup time dramatically.
    Have fun with that....

Quote Originally Posted by dethow View Post
    I'd like to stop my boat after a lap of testing a new prop to see what speed was and where temps are without having to bring it in and untape. If speeds look good and temp looks good... now I'll throw down a few laps, stop and see where temps got to. This could reduce testing and setup time dramatically.
    Exactly!
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Quote Originally Posted by dethow View Post
    I haven't used them yet... but from what I've read and seen on OSEs additional photos it shows live data AND logs with both average and max for speed and temps.

Understood that no one can look at data and drive at the same time... but it'd be nice to be able to check out your speed and temps right after making a speed pass. And be able to see when your temps have dropped to a safe level for your next pass.

As for oval racing... I'd like to stop my boat after a lap of testing a new prop to see what speed was and where temps are without having to bring it in and untape. If speeds look good and temp looks good... now I'll throw down a few laps, stop and see where temps got to. This could reduce testing and setup time dramatically.
    I like that bringing in opening and taping again is a pain.