Thread: Aquacraft (Hobbico) Files for Bankrupcy

Default Aquacraft (Hobbico) Files for Bankrupcy

Good time to fix the limited rules.
    Noisy person

Yup. In the works.
    Brian "Snowman" Buaas
    Team Castle Creations
    NAMBA FE Chairman

I have seen the ripple effect the Reno warehouse is closing and the local Hobbytown is closing too.
    Randy
    For ABS, Fiberglass, Carbon hulls and Stainless hardware
    BBY Racing

Looking to be a harsh a year possibly.

Kudos to those still banging away at it.
    Nortavlag Bulc

It looks like a bad sign, this company had very good market penetration. I’m wondering if it reflects on less people getting involved in FE? We all rely on these vendors to support out boats. And, they are great starter boats to get folks interested in FE. I hope we don’t keep seeing this...

Quote Originally Posted by raptor347 View Post
    Yup. In the works.
    Lol, make the diameter 37.6 just for me please. There's this outrunner I like...
    Nortavlag Bulc

It's very said. I see rtr boats as a thing of the past for these USA based companies. It's just not worth the headache for such a small share of the rc hobbies. More and more rtrs will be sold direct from China. For the simple reason that when someone gets a little stress crack they are not going to send it back due to the hugh cost of return shipping.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

So this will mark the end of the UL-1?

Quote Originally Posted by CraigP View Post
    So this will mark the end of the UL-1?
    I dont think so. Not yet.

They are restructuring and looking for a buyer. I hope they dont close down. But somehow I think that lots of their vendors will be screwed by this.
    Steven Vaccaro

Steve, I’m going to speak frankly about this. This problem to the greater extent, is caused by users that purchase these boats and the FIRST thing they do is hop them up! I think there should be NO warranty claims on a boat that was modified in any way outside of what the manual states. These users just need to put their big boy pants on, and owe up to the fact that running beyond the as manufactured limit is their responsibility. But they will lie about what they ran, because they won’t owe up to it!

As to spider and FG cracks, give me a freaking break! It’s a boat, it’s probably going to get tossed out on the water at some point. Learn to fix your spider cracks! Every hull will eventually develop them, so I think that’s a required skill set, and I enjoy working/fixing my boat. It’s a big part of the sport.

So, due to dishonesty in dealing with warranty claims, we are looking at a potential situation where RTR’s could possibly go away or become prohibitively expensive, because vendors/manufacturers have to factor in these losses to their required profit margins... Losing this will hurt the sport so badly.. It’s really too bad that people run to get warranties the way they do. It’s just another case of our current “pass the buck” mentality in this country. Rant over...

Quote Originally Posted by CraigP View Post
    Steve, I’m going to speak frankly about this. This problem to the greater extent, is caused by users that purchase these boats and the FIRST thing they do is hop them up! I think there should be NO warranty claims on a boat that was modified in any way outside of what the manual states. These users just need to put their big boy pants on, and owe up to the fact that running beyond the as manufactured limit is their responsibility. But they will lie about what they ran, because they won’t owe up to it!

As to spider and FG cracks, give me a freaking break! It’s a boat, it’s probably going to get tossed out on the water at some point. Learn to fix your spider cracks! Every hull will eventually develop them, so I think that’s a required skill set, and I enjoy working/fixing my boat. It’s a big part of the sport.

So, due to dishonesty in dealing with warranty claims, we are looking at a potential situation where RTR’s could possibly go away or become prohibitively expensive, because vendors/manufacturers have to factor in these losses to their required profit margins... Losing this will hurt the sport so badly.. It’s really too bad that people run to get warranties the way they do. It’s just another case of our current “pass the buck” mentality in this country. Rant over...
    I wish we had a thumps up button.
    Steven Vaccaro

Fwiw, the only stress cracks in my DF 33 mono sre on the hatch. The hull is at least 10 years old and I abuse my toys.

Support Steve and guys like Remy at Aeromarine and start building your own. When you build it yourself there are few if any warranty concerns. Support America's retailers and manufacturers.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Warranty claims on equipment that failed due to abuse has driven several businesses away from FE. We've lost some really good gear and more importantly, continued R&D because of this behavior.
    Brian "Snowman" Buaas
    Team Castle Creations
    NAMBA FE Chairman

Yes Ray, it is very satisfying putting a hull together. I started with a bare hull DF Vortex 34 hydro because I didn't have the time to do a scratch build, and unfortunate result of life and a demanding job... Some day...

As to this situation, I think we all, as veterans of model boats, should take some responsibility here too. Far too often, we lend advice to the novice about making the boat go faster. I'm guilty here too guys... Maybe we should ask about the experience level first, how much time have they ran the hull, is it your first hull. Many of you do that and I applaud the insight that is shown in those instances. But I think we need to do a better job and help novice boaters first become comfortable with getting the most out of a stock setup, which is a great feather in the cap, BTW. So Steve, I apologize for offering bad advice and trying to bring someone along too quickly. I feel like in those cases, I've let the sport down. I will do a better job vetting the advice and hopefully instill an appropriate sense of accomplishment for getting the most out of an out-of-the-box setup. It's not easy taming down the hot rod blood in me!

Right on Craig. The problem is frequently that guys buy a boat and want to go 70mph plus the first time they pull the trigger. There are guys on this very forum that will recommend a supper high output setup to a guy they don't know, don't know their skill level, don't even know if they can even solder a connector. New guy throws 3500watts at an RTR with factory glass. Good plan. When cooler heads lend advice they're chastised for it. Happens all the time. Guys that have experience (those been there broke that kind of guys) don't want the aggravation.

AQ warranty claims isn't likely what has taken Hobbico down. Market percentages and such but it surely didn't help.

It's been a long time since I asked for a warranty claim. For me personally it has to be very clear that there was a problem. I accept that I'm abusing the crap out of everything I buy. There's only so much I can ask of it.
    Noisy person

Im asked on a daily basis about upgrading a certain plastic hull we all love to hate. The Traxxas Spartan.

I have guys ask, "what does it take to get to 70mph". My normal response is something like this, I can get you there, but when it flips, rips apart and sinks you wont be happy. so I don't recommend it. their response is usually, oh I dont care. I understand the risks.

One time I helped a guy like that, one day I found him complaining on facebook on how his hull split in a crash. Im still scratching my head today.
    Steven Vaccaro

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    AQ warranty claims isn't likely what has taken Hobbico down. Market percentages and such but it surely didn't help.
    Thats a good assumption. But Id gather thats why they haven't released a new boat in some time.
    Steven Vaccaro

I recently tried to talk a guy out of building an 1/8 scale for electric just because he had no FE experience. Think he's still on the fence.
    Noisy person

Well, you tried!

Ya know we can all sit here point fingers, blame our selves for bad advice an such, but at the end of the day I jest think our beloved sport, is such a small finicky market that mfg in this small nitch market are very vulnerable, to the slightest of market swings. Here today gone tomorrow, MRP and how many others have come and gone over the past 20 / 30 yrs? I wonder how many RTR's are one and done, played with half a dozen times put on the shelf never to be used again, boredom no were to race no one else to play with. I've been here in S.E. Ma for 18 yrs, I love fishing, I've seen hundreds of other fishermen but never an RC boater, when I lived down south I would always run into other boaters, location? There is not an organized race club within 2 hundred miles of me how long till I get board playing alone and sell off every thing? I know not everyone is into competition, those that are will try to find the local races. Its the sport / recreational boaters that we need to try and hang onto keep them interested in the hobby, fun run days I don't know maby.
    PROBOAT BlackJack 24", ShockWave 26"
    MRP U-31, 3 tunnels VS1, MRP Bud Light, Dumas HS Sprint

This is sad; good point’s guys, I get this a lot.
    Question: Will you make a jacket to keep my motor from getting so hot.
    Answer: NO. You have other problems, prop size, drive binding, run time etc. Check your setup and have fun with the hobby.

Hay I was jest thinking about the warranty issue, many products you buy today do not come with any warranty, you half to buy the warranty separate from the product, almost like buying insurance for your product. You want the warranty, spend the extra $$$, if not go play have fun see ya later.
    PROBOAT BlackJack 24", ShockWave 26"
    MRP U-31, 3 tunnels VS1, MRP Bud Light, Dumas HS Sprint

Here is something to ponder.

Its cheaper for Offshore Electrics to purchase a TFL Genesis from Hobby King than it is to buy them from TFL and have them shipped here.
    Steven Vaccaro

On a side note, I think Steve [OSE] is doing a great job.

Thanks for the kind words. I can say one thing, OSE wouldn't exist if it wasn't for me having a full time day job and plus I really like doing this.
    Steven Vaccaro

It's good to listen to those comments. Describe seriousness and commitment. Congratulations.
    Saludos!, Hernán.

I've been modifying cars and drag racing for years...actually a few decades now and my philosophy in all things modified to fit my needs is that when it breaks fix it better/faster/stronger. It hasn't cost me $6,000,000 at least not yet. Warranties are for wimps when it comes to hot rodded anything. If I had blamed others for every stupid thing I had done to cars, rc cars and I'm sure now rc boats I would be constantly fighting with one company or other.

Here, here! Agree 100%! There’s a current thread on the forum asking if anyone has had trouble with the deck line splitting on the UL-19. I would take that as an opportunity to grind that whole joint out, in sections, refill with folded fiberglass and resin. You would have to hit a rock to break it! Come on guys, the big part of this sport is repair and modification. Spider cracks? Grind lightly with your Dremel cut off shell and fill back in. Problem solved! Why start with a new hull? That seems like the long way home.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Vaccaro View Post
    Thats a good assumption. But Id gather thats why they haven't released a new boat in some time.
    They let the brain behind AQ walk away.
    Noisy person

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast