Thread: ESC no BEC

Default ESC no BEC

A large cat that I have in the planning stages will have two Swordfish 240 amp ESC which do not have onboard BEC. Now only one BEC would be needed to power the receiver and servo but I am a little confused as regards the twin ESC connection to the receiver.

I was thinking a "Y" connector to combine the receiver outlets (inputs?) from each ESC to the single receiver port but am wondering as the receiver will be powered by the BEC and the ESC do not have onboard BEC's do I remove the red positive lead on the "Y" connector to the receiver port?

There is no need to remove the red wire on opto-coupled ESCs without BECs.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

Thankyou Paul

If your running twins then two opto-coupled ESC’s is best and will eliminate ground loops between the two ESC’s thru the Y Wire back to your receiver. But most of the LV ESC’s have a BEC output. Some are 5s-10s, making them incompatible with duel 4s systems. So check your voltage specs carefully.

I have two Turnigy Aquastar 240 amp 4s - 12s ESC (modified rebadged Hifei 240 amp pro with no datalogging) and a Turnigy HV (10s) ubec (rebadged Hifei model). Thus both the ESC will be separate from the ubec. I will be running 8s (4s in series) each side.

Excellent choices! I use those exact ESC’s. I know some of the HiFei’s are 5s-10s, that’s why I posted. I’m going to build a twin here shortly. But I don’t have the room for the larger SW ESC’s, I’ll have to use Turnigy 120A units. They don’t have Opto-Isolation, but I have a circuit that will allow me to use that type and still eliminate any potential ground loops. If your interested, let me know. I’ll post a circuit diagram for ya...