Thread: Building a 48 zelos need guidance

Default Building a 48 zelos need guidance

Got the hull and hardware ,been reading lots of posts ,want to run 8 s, 1050 kv leopard or TP 95 or 108 mm motor ,will use a castle XLX with a castle cap bank,I’ll have dasboata fit the prop ,need your input for Servo and make sure my other stuff is on track ,I’ll be spinning about 33;000 rpm ,will need a 1/8 flex shaft I didn’t see one at the store ,if anyone knows the epoxy to seal the ESC to make a water proof unit please advise ,this forum is terrific,thanks guys ,

Sounds like a good project. Are you sure about that 1/8” flex? Big boat, isn’t a 1/4” a bit more appropriate? Just asking...

Default 1/4flex drive

Yea I meant 1/4” ,my first big boat thanks for the correction,

Need servo advice ,I have a spectrum S 601 that I pulled from a 1/8 th buggy ,will that be strong enough for this 48” zelos? Other things I have bought ,1/4” flex cable,octura 452 prop,leopard 5698 -1100 kv motor,flier ESC 16s 200amp with cap bank,just about ready start installing ,if you have input on the servo let me know pkease,I plan on running 8 s,if you see where I screwed up somewhere please share before I waste a bunch of time ,I basically want to go fast on 8 s, thanks guy,Mark,

Hey Mark,
    I built one of these and if we’re doing it over would ditch the stock strut and mount it on the transom with an offset rudder. The prop may be big, I ran a 48mm and it was plenty, but if you get her set up right maybe it will work.

Servo: any 1/4 scale will do; I prefer digital as they don’t drift like analog ones can do. I’ve used hitech, but other brands should work fine, provided they have the umph.

Good luck and have fun with the build, she’s a looker!
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

So I didn’t pay attention and thought I could get away with a strong 1/8 servo ,but noooo,so I’m ordering a 39$ hitec ,I know it’s cheap but it will last for the shake down ,there is no strut adjustment?so what you just move the batteries?or buy an after market? What about shear bolts for the rudder? Do you guys run those? Almost ready to fire it up. Used a micro torch from harbor freight to solder the 1/8 connectors,what a deal ,like soldering pipe ,like 15 sec.a connection,this ESC has 8” of leads for the battery and the motor so I hope that and the small ground wire that eliminates spark will dispel any static caused by the torch ,should be getting wet next week end Moët me know about the strut please,thanks ,