Thread: Zelos 36 Cooling

Default Zelos 36 Cooling

Ok just did my first run with my new Zelos 36 tonight and would have to say what an awesome boat....but water pick up flow not the best....motors pretty hot esc ok didn’t have infrared temp gun so not sure on temp.
    Anyone have an idea where I can find thread on cooling.....or advice?
    I have a Spartan which I have upgraded cooling pick ups to keep temps under control.

Man you're pretty hard to keep up with on here...lol. On the first thread you posted on (zelos 36 first run tips) look up a couple of post from yours and take a look at what vinnyp did to his. He's a pretty good fellow and I'm sure he can give you more details if needed. I personally never had any heat issues with the stock props. Put the new 3831's in it then you could bolt a snow plow on the front of it and not have any heat issues...Good luck with it!
    TFL Zonda (124mph), Miss Geico Zelos 36 (108mph), Veles 29 (91mph), Zelos Twin 36 (90mph), Miss Geico 29v3 (83.5mph), Sonicwake 36 V2 (83mph), Blackjack 42 (81mph), TFL Pursuit (79mph), UL-19 (75mph), Sonicwake 36 (73mph), Motley Crew (47.5mph), AquaCraft Rescue 17

How does the OP know he has cooling flow issues? There are numerous things which can cause high temps....but without a temp reading we don’t know if there even is a heat problem.

- how long was the run time in minutes?
    - was most of the run at part throttle or full throttle?
    - how much was put back into the packs after the run and what is their capacity?
    - long zip zip runs, circles, lots of on/off throttle?
    - at least a 3/16” gap between the struts and drive dogs?
    - boat running loose or wet?

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

First and foremost, you need to know for certain what your temps are. As for what I decided to do to mine, I simply hated those stock pick ups. One of mine actually fell out when I first unboxed the boat. Hated them from then on. To the best of my knowledge, nobody running this boat has any heat issues the way the boat was rigged from ProBoat. I am not highly experienced in running RC boats. However, in my opinion, the idea of having a single pick up, sending cool water to the ESC then warm water to the motor, didn't make much sense. I felt it would be advantageous to do a simple mod and install dual water pick ups for each motor/esc combo. I cant say with any certainty if it made a difference in cooling, as I swapped motors at the same time. I can say, that I tend to take long runs at part and full throttle without any heat issues. Did the same mod for my Veles as well.

Ok thanks for all your reply’s I will get a few temp readings and repost not sure when I am on the water next!
    I guess with my Spartan I did dual water pick up from nearly new separating esc and motor so cool water running through both........I agree with vinnyp on the water going to esc then being warm to cool motor just is backwards thinking to me.
    All good insane boat loving the change from V Hull ...
    Last edited by Tuono995; 01-06-2018 at 12:41 AM.

Ok another run this morning before I head home with start back at work tomorrow
    Temps dropped a bit I hobby knifed out pick up a little and some improvement...I will dremel out a nice tear drop when I get back home and have my hobby gear available.
    My brother in law was out with me with his Zelos 48 too and the pick up in the hull bottom had nice tear drop shape so will try and copy that....his had lots of water flow compared to the Zelos 36.

Cooling update....another run today after teardropped out water pickups and a great result can see water choofing out on both outlets....after run checked temps all running very cool ...very please with result!
    Photos not the best but shows the teardrop....put some two pack black paint on inlet to seal fibreglass!

p.s was that good I had my first flip

Ordered a Voracity too....time for rehab
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tuono995; 01-27-2018 at 05:56 AM.

Nice job on the water tubes... it wont be your last flip!!!

Was just getting a few fast runs and BOOM.....flip and a swim is a nice 32deg here so was really refreshing!

Quote Originally Posted by Tuono995 View Post
    Was just getting a few fast runs and BOOM.....flip and a swim is a nice 32deg here so was really refreshing!
    That is the number one thing NOT to do is swim for a boat.

Quote Originally Posted by meangenesracing View Post
    That is the number one thing NOT to do is swim for a boat.
    No swim?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuono995 View Post
    No swim?
    It's a hot topic for some. Many have gone out after a boat, who thought they knew their limits, and got into trouble after the adrenaline wore off. Many others have swam out and back w/o issue. Personally, I'm an accomplished swimmer and am more worried about dangers hidden under the water that I can't see, which is why I use a rescue boat.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    It's a hot topic for some. Many have gone out after a boat, who thought they knew their limits, and got into trouble after the adrenaline wore off. Many others have swam out and back w/o issue. Personally, I'm an accomplished swimmer and am more worried about dangers hidden under the water that I can't see, which is why I use a rescue boat.
    Yes good debate....i am what i would consider a good swimmer and know the lake we use the boats at lots of ski boats around etc....i am in the throws of making a recovery rc boat too!

Worked out what water conditions not to run the Zelos 36 in too.....