Thread: U-3 1/8 scale Hydroplane.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Got a bit done in the last few days.
    I made some paper templates for the sponson deck skins, transferred them to the ply & cut them out.
    To make the paper shapes I lay a sheet of good old butchers paper over the area & run my fingers along the edges of the framework, creasing the paper.
    Cut the paper about 1/8" bigger.

After trimming & sanding the inboard edge of the panel to match the main stringer, that runs from the tip of the sponson to the transom, they were given a coat of epoxy fiberglass resin on the underside.
    The whole inside of the boat was also coated with the resin at this point.
    Foam blocks were cut & fitted into all the spaces & sanded to shape.

Then on went the sponson deck skins.
    I placed a bead of 1 hour epoxy on all the internal frame work, placed the skin in it's exact place & tacked it down at the transom & at the main bulkhead of the heels of the sponsons.

The left hand skin needed a cut on the underside of it to relieve the pressure where the framework sort of curves down & then levels out towards the chine, creating dip in the skin.
    Then I stitch glued around the edges, keeping the skin pressed down & flat. Working forward from the transom. Some CA accelerator in the pump spray bottle is a great thing to have here, as everything is held in place by hand during this operation. The boat needs to be rotated upside down & sideways to get the CA to flow where you want it to go.
    Then a bead of CA is run along the joins, a section at a time, allow the glue to wick into the joint then squeeze together & spray with accelerator.

Of course the other method of Epoxy on everything & an array of weights, tape & clamps also works.

Creasing the paper templates.

001.jpg

The dip in the left side deck.

007.jpg

The cut in the underside of the deck.

009.jpg

All glued on ready for final trimming & shaping.

011.jpg

The left side skin with the dip.

010.jpg
    Last edited by 785boats; 02-10-2018 at 03:49 PM.