Thread: TFL Genesis 56” best Prop?

Default TFL Genesis 56” best Prop?

Hi Guys just got a brand new TFL Genesis 56” Cat and am planning on running 12s batteries with everything else stock. Looking for advice on Props. I’ve sent DasBoata the original Two blade for polishing and sharpening. I’ve also asked him advice on a “Good” prop. Any advice on other good “Upgrades” for this application would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

go to youtube and see what other owners are actually running and their results on the same boat ....it would be a good starting point for you judge from
    here is the first video listed with your boat https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wTo0d58V94

I would NOT recommend 12S with the out of the box setup.
    Out of the box is setup for 8S, to change to 12S - you should also change the motors to something around the 750KV mark.
    Also the props are designed for the out of the box setup - 8S with the motors that it came with.

Just because the ESC says it can handle up to 15S does not mean you should go there. The hull will NOT handle it.(NO warranty over 8S)

Larry
    Past NAMBA- P Mono -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Past NAMBA- P Sport -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Bump & Grind Racing Props -We Like Em Smooth & Wet

Quote Originally Posted by TRUCKPULL View Post
    Out of the box is setup for 8S, to change to 12S - you should also change the motors to something around the 750KV mark.
    Also the props are designed for the out of the box setup - 8S with the motors that it came with.

Just because the ESC says it can handle up to 15S does not mean you should go there. The hull will NOT handle it.(NO warranty over 8S)

Larry
    Thanks for the reply much appreciated. I'm fairly new to electric (Quickdraw 56" Apache Gas stuff before) but that's the advice I received from Sandy at MarineFE
    from where I purchased the Boat! He assured me it could handle 12s easy, So I'm confused again! LOL
    What brand engine would you recommend? I'm guessing I may have to upgrade the ESC's as well and if so what brand and size?

Thanks for any advice once again.
    Ed

ED

The ESC"s are OK for 12-S, they are rated up to 15-S each

I myself would first run it and get it setup the best that you can on 8-S

To change it to 12-S, first off I would take it apart and reinforce the hull and the seam all around the inside.
    You also may need to reinforce the motor mounts, and the strut mounts.

Then you can decide on motors and props.

Reinforcing the hull and mounts may even be a good idea for 8-S

ED - Just to make sure that we are on the same page.
    When you say 12-S --- do you mean using two - 12-S ( or four 6-S to make 12-S) Packs, giving you 12-S for each motor??
    Or are you saying to use only TWO 6-S packs ( 6-S for each motor) giving you 12-S on board the hull?

Larry
    Last edited by TRUCKPULL; 01-02-2018 at 04:25 PM.

Is this another one of those classic new guy cell count confusions?

What battery do you intend to run?
    How many of them will you have?
    Are they connected to each other?
    - If yes, are they connected in series or parallel?
    - If there are four batteries, the question above applies to each side. Are the two sides being connected as well?

Again thanks guys. The plan was to run 2x6s wired in series for EACH engine therefore 4 batteries in total (2 batteries per engine). Makes sense yes?? Ed

Quote Originally Posted by flexxb737 View Post
    Again thanks guys. The plan was to run 2x6s wired in series for EACH engine therefore 4 batteries in total (2 batteries per engine). Makes sense yes?? Ed

OK then

AS I stated above make that Four - 4S packs
    Two for each side wired in series.

This is what the setup in this hull is designed for 29.6 Volts per motor.
    8-S X 3.7 V = 29.6V
    It is also probably designed for this weight setup also??

Two 6-S packs per side may be way too much weight forward, and never get the hull balanced to run properly.
    Also too much KV for 12-S

Larry

Before you start changing things..run it as is on 8S as Larry suggested. Run it with the stock props once you get them back. To many people suffer from the "I wanna go fast" syndrome without even establishing a baseline with the stock set up.

Did the seller give you any idea of runtime you can expect? You might be in for a shock if all you are used to is gas.

As OP asked what is the best prop for a TFL 56" Genesis and as Larry suggested to start on 8S I think you should start with an X452/3. I agree with Larry on 8S and not immediately on 12S but actually i think you might be able to get by with running each side 2 x 6S in parallel and you'll get a longer run time. Assuming you only have 6S batteries you won't have to buy extra batteries and this will certainly get you around 40mph to maybe mid 40's if you're happy with that. When I first got my 56" Atomik ARC it came with a 120A esc, yes a 120A esc and an 2000w small outrunner for such a big boat and it ran mid 30's. I sharpened the X452/3 prop, rudder blade, made some adjustments on strut and got it to run 47.3mph. All this running on two 6S 3300mah 55C lipos in parallel. With a twin I'm sure when you get it set up right, with Dasboata prepped props and sharpened rudder blade and proper adjustments on the strut, you can get it to run close to or maybe even in the 50's stock. If not then try a three blade starting with an X452 and go up from there. But if you want to go much much faster then for sure start with 8S with proper adjustments and all before 12S just so you would know how it runs and if any heat issues before maxing it out. It's just hard to determine what is the best prop without knowing your goals and setup. . .Just my 2¢.
    Last edited by Bp9145; 01-03-2018 at 12:19 AM. Reason: clarify 6S 3300mah 55C in parallel

Thanks Again Guys. Bp9145 all noted. My thinking was why buy 4x4s batteries and eventually I would like to push the boat to its max and if I get the 6s batteries just run in Parallel initially and that would save $$? Would the weight of the 6s affect things much compared to the 4s though? Will discuss with Chris when he gets the stock Props. If I do go for the 4s or 6s what sort of mah rating size should I go for to give me a descent run time? Also my goals is to hit the mid 70’s in terms of speed! Possible?? Also Graphene or LiPo batteries as I have not purchased batteries as yet? Thanks for any and all suggestions. Ed

ED
    As I stated above the weight of four X 6-S packs in the stock location without rearranging and rebuilding the interior of the boat could be a big problem.

The weight of four X 4-S packs compared to four X 6-S packs is over 2.5 lb. more weight.

When you add that 2.5 lb. to the stock location, the hull is now too nose heavy, and will run like a piece of ----, and you will not be happy.

Here are the two pack makes that I would recommend (Both graphene).

https://www.mojoracingproducts.com/c...70c-140c-lipos

https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pr...rod=rev-ys5000

Stay with the 5000mAp packs.

Are you looking to race on the oval, or just sport running and some ZIP-ZIP for all out speed?

The 8-S setup with some tuning and props should get you over 70MPH no problem for all out speed.
    Run time should be about 3 min. all out.

Also as I stated before, reinforcing the interior and the seam of the hull would be a good idea.

Larry

Thanks Larry is this the correct battery? Size wise and weight. They selling a same spec but in 6000mah as a 2 per pack deal but I’m guessing it’s 6000 is too heavy?? Thanks again for your assistance and guidance. Regards Ed

ED
    As I stated above the weight of four X 6-S packs in the stock location without rearranging and rebuilding the interior of the boat could be a big problem.

The weight of four X 4-S packs compared to four X 6-S packs is over 2.5 lb. more weight.

When you add that 2.5 lb. to the stock location, the hull is now too nose heavy, and will run like a piece of ----, and you will not be happy.

Here are the two pack makes that I would recommend (Both graphene).

https://www.mojoracingproducts.com/c...70c-140c-lipos

https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pr...rod=rev-ys5000

Stay with the 5000mAp packs.

Are you looking to race on the oval, or just sport running and some ZIP-ZIP for all out speed?

The 8-S setup with some tuning and props should get you over 70MPH no problem for all out speed.
    Run time should be about 3 min. all out.

Also as I stated before, reinforcing the interior and the seam of the hull would be a good idea.

Larry
    Sport running and ZIP-ZIP for all out Speed is what I’m after Larry. Just like Speed!! Lol.
    Cheers.

Now that I know you want to hit the mid 70's I think you should just go straight to 8S but others would argue and lean on higher voltage like on 10S. But I think your fine for now on 8S. I also recommend graphene batteries and will add the Turnigy graphenes to Larry's list. I think four 4S 5000mah is great but you could even go as high as 6000mah. In general the heavier the boat the slower it is but I've found that some boats like the heavier weight to keep them on the water and not in the air flipped over especially at great speeds. In mine it actually likes a little more weight. But whether it's 5000mah or 6000mah these sizes and in 4S will also be great for your future smaller boats that run on 4S. . .think about that. lol As for mid 70's it can be done with this 8S setup as Larry indicated but paying attention to tuning the boat and with the right prop. Just remember when you get your prop from Dasboata to check your temps with whatever batteries you choose as the temps will help guide you if you need a smaller prop or go to a larger prop. . .as ZIP-ZIP for all out Speed will definitely require some trial and error and hope for less error as you will encounter some. I wish you the best and I'm sure other guys will give some more input later on today as it's quite late but you have some ideas to think about for now.

Ed, as for the right prop which was your first question .. .I'm sure Chris, Dasboata, will give you a better recommendation on what prop to use other than the stock prop knowing what your intentions are.

I like the Turnigy Graphene batteries too, but keep in mind, the 6000mah packs are an odd shape. Take a look at dimensions before ordering, though I doubt there's much problem with interior room on a 56" hull. 😀

Quote Originally Posted by flexxb737 View Post
    Hi Guys just got a brand new TFL Genesis 56” Cat and am planning on running 12s batteries with everything else stock. Looking for advice on Props. I’ve sent DasBoata the original Two blade for polishing and sharpening. I’ve also asked him advice on a “Good” prop. Any advice on other good “Upgrades” for this application would be appreciated. Thanks.

received your props give me a few days to get back to you I want to order some props for the boat and clean up what on my plate already thank you Chris

Quote Originally Posted by dasboata View Post
    received your props give me a few days to get back to you I want to order some props for the boat and clean up what on my plate already thank you Chris
    Thanks Chris let me know what you think on a few other choices as well. Cheers Ed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

you have a PM

Default To run or not to run 12s in Series

Larry
    I have been running mine on 2-6s 9000ma 120c inseries On the stock props with SSS 5684-1000 KV and 300a esc with no problems it will run about 91mph on 10s on 12s it is a blast, yes you will have to reglass things but it is like everything else you go fast you have to maintain and as far as battery placement there is 4 in a row,need the weight to keep the nose from flying,have fun and try it