Thread: Vintage MRP Miss Budweiser build

Default Vintage MRP Miss Budweiser build

So my second R/C boat was the MRP Miss Budweiser in about 1991 and it met it's maker the first time I ran it, for some reason lost radio control and it went full speed into a rock seawall.

So this one I got from Ebay awhile back and it is in decent condition and I am upgrading it to brushless. It is getting a 1800KV outrunner motor from a Volantex Vector Ebay boat, new rudder (the one on it is not original), 2.4G radio system, I am going to use an airplane 40A 4S ESC, and run it on two 2S 3000MAh Lipo's in series for 4S. The weight savings from the small single motor and smaller batteries should make a very fun runner and be able to get on plane much better (I know original set up these were a PITA to get on plane without throwing them in the water). Here is the start of the build.

DSCN2540.jpgDSCN2541.jpgDSCN2542.jpgDSCN2543.jpg

Got it stripped and added a little fiberglass around the motor area, not much space to work with but thought a little reinforcement was a good idea around the motor area.

DSCN2544.jpg

Nice looking boat, there's all kinda stuff in there for that brushed set up. Yes it's gonna be tight.

Very nice classic look.

Thanks guys!! I got the new motor in, a new steering servo and RX in, a new prop, and I got the tunnel painted silver. Now just waiting for some new stuff I ordered to finish it.

DSCN2545.jpgDSCN2546.jpgDSCN2547.jpg

Thinking of converting a 1/12th scale Miss Bud myself. Anyone know where the COG is supposed to be on a hydro? Not sure where I'd place all the bits inside.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    Thinking of converting a 1/12th scale Miss Bud myself. Anyone know where the COG is supposed to be on a hydro? Not sure where I'd place all the bits inside.
    Start at the aft edge of the turn fin. That will get you in the ballpark.
    A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Jet View Post
    Start at the aft edge of the turn fin. That will get you in the ballpark.
    Thanks

So it's almost done! Everything I ordered showed up except for the new aluminum cooling rudder. The USPS tracking shows it was delivered Thursday but it was nowhere to be found (other stuff I ordered showed up that day and the day before). USPS has delivered my stuff to my neighbors before and then they then brought it to me, but it has been a few days so I ordered another rudder today. Once I get the rudder it will be finished!

DSCN2609.jpgDSCN2610.jpgDSCN2611.jpg

It won't be long now.

All done! Only weighs 3lbs 4.6oz with batteries! Should be a fun boat I will be happy if I get 30mph out of it. And it's back on the shelf with my other MRP's awaiting spring.

DSCN2612.jpgDSCN2614.jpgDSCN2615.jpgDSCN2617.jpg

I had one of those back in the day, lots of fun.

Beautiful boat but absolutely no room to work inside.

I think the designer hated true modelers.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisedByWolves View Post
    I had one of those back in the day, lots of fun.

Beautiful boat but absolutely no room to work inside.

I think the designer hated true modelers.
    HAHA! we need a like button!

Ahhh that brings back memories. I had the nitro version and it also was a pain to get up on plane. Had a lot of fun with that boat.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL!
    ML Boatworks PS295, Dumas Hot Shot Sprint 3.5, JAE 21FE, Yellow Jacket Outrigger,

I know tis is a old thread, nice build. How did run, any video?

[QUOTE=fearless62;725957]I know tis is a old thread, nice build. How did run, any video?[/QUOT

No video yet still doing some test and tune runs. Have not been able to run my boats much on my canal this summer due to weeds. The first what I call (successful) run of this boat was cut short two days ago due to running into some weeds. So first run with it built as in this thread sucked because it still would not get on plane even being so much lighter than an original 1980's set up, still need to throw it in the water to get on plane (not what I want). I want to put it in the water and it get on plane by itself and have decent speed. So I put a bigger 32mm nylon prop on it and smaller 2000mah batteries to loose even more weight and it got on plane by itself! And was running great until I hit some weeds. The motor is small and only rated for the 4s that I was running it on, I would guess it was going 20-25mph. Not fast but looked great and scale running. I want to run it a few more times before I make any changes and try and make it faster. I just want a good looking reliable boat to run for fun to remember the old school days!! After buying and running my Zonda everything else looks and feels slow!! LOL!

Just got done running it again. I put bigger 2s 4000MAH batteries in it this time. I'm just going to have to deal with throwing it into the water to get it on plane. It was a great run no weeds floating in the canal today. It's probably only around 25MPH not much faster than the original set up but it looks good running at that speed, and it handles and turns well which is good for my canal. Also having the small outrunner motor with the two 4000MAH it has great run time! Much better than the original twin motor and Ni-cad packs! I would call this build a success for a fun to run vintage boat. I need to find the charging cable for my gopro so I can get some video.