Thread: Is this worth it

Question Is this worth it

Is a 42inch aero marine Sprint cat worth building. I did some digging on the forum and found two builds one with a neu 1527 1y and one with a castle 780kv motor . They both seem rather slow from my readings . Is it even possible to get this hull to the 70s while running as an electric. So is it honestly worth building a large but potentially slow boat. If it is worth it what could I possibly use to get this hull to put up some breath taking performance.

The big SprintCat is most certainly a good boat to build, many run very well as FE boats. The 1527 motor is too small though, it would not run fast for very long. The Castle 2028 motor however is a great choice, 60-70+ is certainly possible but the faster you go the shorter the run time will be.

I built a RCBoatworks F-41 Cat (virtually the same as the SprintCat) several years ago running 10S and a big Lehner motor. I raced it @ 65 mph but could have pushed it harder. It was so worth it to me.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

A 42” good handling cat is sooo worth building. A little hefty to lug around but not stupid. I have a AC R-42 and at 70 it is a hoot and gets the nerves going. Just doesn’t feel right slamming corners full tilt after all my other (not so good handling) cats. I did a twin but next time I think I would go the Castle 2028 route.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post
    The big SprintCat is most certainly a good boat to build, many run very well as FE boats. The 1527 motor is too small though, it would not run fast for very long. The Castle 2028 motor however is a great choice, 60-70+ is certainly possible but the faster you go the shorter the run time will be.

I built a RCBoatworks F-41 Cat (virtually the same as the SprintCat) several years ago running 10S and a big Lehner motor. I raced it @ 65 mph but could have pushed it harder. It was so worth it to me.

What lehner did you use.

What lehner did you use.
    As I recall it was a 3060-9 with a Kv of 778. Today I would use the Castle 2028, far less expensive than a Lehner with excellent performance. You have the option of either 8S or 10S with the Castle, but for maximum performance 10S is better. (8S performs more like a gas motor with similar props and speeds.)

I looked at the build on the forum and the castle 2028 used had around the same kV (730). But the new 2028 is 800kv. that wouldn't be a real problem correct?

Not at all. I’ve seem both versions run, not much difference in performance. If I had the choice I’d go with the more modern 800 Kv version.

Are there any other motor options? For this hull?any price range please

TP Power 5670 10D. Likely any 56 series would work well, just pick your KV and cell count that you’d like to run.

http://www.tppower.com/sort.asp?class_id=4&news=155

Quote Originally Posted by srislash View Post
    A 42” good handling cat is sooo worth building. A little hefty to lug around but not stupid. I have a AC R-42 and at 70 it is a hoot and gets the nerves going. Just doesn’t feel right slamming corners full tilt after all my other (not so good handling) cats. I did a twin but next time I think I would go the Castle 2028 route.
    What motors and cell count did u use

Quote Originally Posted by rayzerdesigns View Post
    What motors and cell count did u use
    I overkilled it with Castle 1717’s on 6s2p Or 4p. I am still thinking of putting my pair of 1520’s in on the same cell count. Just to lighten it up a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by srislash View Post
    I overkilled it with Castle 1717’s on 6s2p Or 4p. I am still thinking of putting my pair of 1520’s in on the same cell count. Just to lighten it up a bit.
    Could you post a picture of your boats set up it gave me an idea. also what esc's did you use?

Quote Originally Posted by Brothers 1718 View Post
    Could you post a picture of your boats set up it gave me an idea. also what esc's did you use?
    I’m out of town right now but this is the build thread

https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com...ast&highlight=

I’m running a pair of Castle Phoenix Ices converted to water cooling
    I can elaborate more on the weekend.
    Here is the last vid https://youtu.be/uuP1Bi1eISk
    Just to fire you up. Lol

That is a cool build .I like how you changed the cowl to it looks nice.

That is a cool build .I like how you changed the cowl to it looks nice.
    Thanks, a lot more than needed went into it but it runs great and was fun to build.

I was thinking leopard 4092 1480kv (twin) 6s with stingers using swordfish 220 amps or 240s.

Could you guys give me your opinion on the sprint cat 42 of you have owned one or currently do ?

Could you guys give me your opinion on the sprint cat 42 of you have owned one or currently do ?
    Since the feedback here sucks ATM, I don’t think you would go wrong with the Sprint Cat. There are a race boat so will handle the race water when setup right. Handling would be similar to my BlownAway.
    You should do good with the motors you stated. Maybe go with the 240 ESC’s so you have room to go to 7s later(speed gets addictive)

Speed is a drug

I noticed that most people run this hull in parallel would it be okay to run with two 5s in series. This is for the single setup btw.

Cool

This depends on how long you need to run. I ran my AC R-42 on a single Neu 2215/1Y with twin 5S/6600 mAh packs in series. My goal was to build a “lightweight” T Cat to compete against the gas boats in Open Cat. It was plenty for seven race laps with a one lap mill running in the low/mid-60s.

The boat placed third at a World’s race in 2013(?) racing against over 25 gas boats. If you insist on propping up to get speeds into the high 60s/low 70s then you will want more pack capacity if you race the boat.

You know what I just want to make this thing hit 80 + any suggestions on setups

You know what I just want to make this thing hit 80 + any suggestions on setups
    I’m thinking your above setup would be good or even just 4050’s should do it. Maybe around 1550/1600 kV if you wanna stay with 6s. My R42 does 80 easy with slightly more aggressive props.
    CG at 35% for greater than 70.
    Did you end up getting a hull?

I was gonna get it this week but college work called.