Thread: What setup to use.

Default What setup to use.

I built my first cheetah an enjoyed it but sadly I wasn't 100% satisfied with my set up or my craft man ship. I have decided to buy and build another cheetah but a fully carbon fiber one. I am going to get the hull reinforced with carbon fiber professionally. I would like to know what hardware to use and electronics . I'm aiming for perfection. This boat is going to be used in Q class racing.

Take this with a pinch of salt as P and Q aren't classes where I live, but I was under the impression that the Cheetah is P size, wouldn't it get swamped by the bigger heavier boats carving troughs through the water in Q? I have raced against much bigger boats a few times and it made overtaking very difficult.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

Believe it or not, some are over the 34" mark by a tic. Annoying if you;re shooting for a P boat. You end up sanding the tips to get legal at 34".

The boat is very similar in size to an Aeromarine Sprint 36 which is the Q cat staple. It will work for Q cat.

That said, the best Cheetahs I've seen were set up for P power.
    Noisy person

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    Believe it or not, some are over the 34" mark by a tic. Annoying if you;re shooting for a P boat. You end up sanding the tips to get legal at 34".

The boat is very similar in size to an Aeromarine Sprint 36 which is the Q cat staple. It will work for Q cat.

That said, the best Cheetahs I've seen were set up for P power.
    This is my Cheetah on 4s with a TP 4060 1950KV motor, turning an Octura X447 3 blade. The ESC is a Seaking 180amp V2 ( I don't think a V3 will hold up).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnPLDQ6QnME

That being said if you are set on Q then a Neu 1527 1y is the motor of choice for most things Q. Props to try would be Octura x450-2, x452-2, x646-3 or x447-3. Not sure what ESC you would use but a Castle Mamba XLX with water cooling does work.
    Caution: Does not play well with others!

Quote Originally Posted by tjcast View Post
    This is my Cheetah on 4s with a TP 4060 1950KV motor, turning an Octura X447 3 blade. The ESC is a Seaking 180amp V2 ( I don't think a V3 will hold up).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnPLDQ6QnME

That being said if you are set on Q then a Neu 1527 1y is the motor of choice for most things Q. Props to try would be Octura x450-2, x452-2, x646-3 or x447-3. Not sure what ESC you would use but a Castle Mamba XLX with water cooling does work.
    nice running Cheetah you have there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bp9145 View Post
    nice running Cheetah you have there.
    Thanks, it's my favorite boat. It actually took me a while to get it to run like that. Blueprinting the sponsons helps the most. I pieced together a dual pick up rudder for additional cooling but now Speedmaster has one that will work right out of the package.
    Caution: Does not play well with others!