Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Boldly Going Where No Man Has Gone Before. RC Nano-Hydro

Cool Boldly Going Where No Man Has Gone Before. RC Nano-Hydro

Jim Clark was nice enough to gift me a 1/43 scale (7-1/2”) Casper shovelnose hydro hull. If you do a search for Casper hydroplanes, you will find some links where these hulls are “raced” on a track with special turning vanes to keep the “free flight” boats going in a circle. I haven’t been able to find much more information on them; specifically motor/prop/battery details, availability, and build details. From the videos I’ve seen, these boats are more displacement hulls plowing through the water than hydroplanes and they do not appear to ever get on step. Since I am the de-facto micro enthusiast here, I thought I’d try to make this little hull actually work as an RC race boat. To that end, I have two goals: Get it to run on step and get it to be fully controllable

I'll be extensively modifying it for RC. Ride pads are definitely a consideration as the vacuum-formed polystyrene hull no doubt has high drag rounded corners. Looking at the vacuum-formed bottom, it may get some re-shaping of the aft bottom, maybe get a lot of air trap. I’ll know more when it actually arrives. Also planned is a homemade rudder, a homemade micro strut, a 1/32 wire drive, and a homemade motor/shaft coupler. Maybe a straight shaft would save some weight and complexity, but I like the adjustability of a strut; we shall see. The BIG problem will be a prop. As of this writing, I see a couple of options: I could modify a 20mm Raboesch prop (see: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Brass-3-Bla...19.m1438.l2649), or I could modify a 20mm micro Eco prop (see: http://doctorprops.torgg.com/collect...mm-doctorprops).

The Raboesch prop has an M2 threaded hub which means I would have to bore a 1/32" hole through an M2 threaded brass rod (cut the head off a brass screw). I have a mini lathe so this is not impossible, but it does not leave much meat on the threaded rod. The 3mm hub of the mini Eco prop would make this machining process a whole lot easier to accomplish as I can simply ream one of the 1.5X3 prop adapters to 1/16" I.D. and I'm done. It may even be possible to reduce the prop diameter a bit to more closely resemble (and behave like) a surface prop.

I’ve ordered the following motor, servo, and battery for it:

Motor: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...or-4500kv.html
    ESC: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobbykin...c-1a-ubec.html
    Servo: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobbykin...cro-servo.html
    Battery: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...lb3002s35.html

At this moment, I only have the photo provided by Jim Clark. The paper photo of the Bardahl hides a lot of the sponson and hull detail. I kinda wonder what those rectangular “bumps” are on the aft portion of the bottom and located on either side of the driveshaft. It also appears the prop was designed to run inside of a “tunnel”. I assume this was for geometric and safety reasons. I plan to have the prop behind the transom as is normal for most RC hydros and I'll be closing off this prop tunnel.

This project will have to take a back seat to my newest project (The 1/20 scale Atlas Van Lines) when the wood I've ordered for it arrives. Be sure to follow the build thread I’ve created for it too.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves

Love these tiny builds. So challenging in such different ways.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

I like it, the shovels have such a classic look. Mini, mini!

I had recently seen a vid where some guys in Thailand made their own props for some mini boats.

I was pretty excited by these when Jim first posted it and I became aware of them, but it looks like they are out of production as the sources Jim gave had none, and the next race dates on their website is in 2016. I did find a couple on cragslist and one had decent pictures of the bottom, but it looked to me like the bottom moulding is suitable only for the bin wit shallow sponsons, round edges and lots of bumps, so I would be paying a lot to buy and ship a deck and I changed my mind on it.

I found out that the stock power system is a 23g 2s aaa alkaline battery an an 18g 130 motor, which I think is far too heavy to plane with the limited planing area available to a 7" semi scale hydro. I wanted to reduce the weight as much as possible and was planing along the lines of a 9g 1s 300mah LiPo, a 6g 1104 4600kv outrunner, a .7g 7a 1s esc, a 4.5g Frsky FASST RX, and a 1.7g linear servo, for a total radio and power system weight not much over half that of the stock powertrain, and should yield about 15mph on a 20mm eco prop.

Another prop option may be the plastic Joysway Magic Vee and Magic Cat props I cant find size or pitch specs for them but they come in packs of 2 dirt cheap, and the Magic boats are only 9" so if you can find them locally you may be able to talk you LHS into letting you measure one and ordering some if they are suitable. There are alternative 7000kv motors similar in weight available if the magic props are small enough.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

Default Driveline Ideas

Here's a quick and dirty sketch of what I'm thinking for the driveline. Since everything is going to be small and light, I'll let the wire drive carry the thrust to the motor bearings. I couldn't do this in bigger, more powerful hulls, but I think it should be just fine in this application. The sketch shows what I would do with the Raboesch prop, but I can simply make another driveline if I decide to go with the Eco prop. It's well under a dollar and twenty minutes to make another driveline.

Yeah, I know weight is going to be an issue, but if it's too light, it may be uncontrollable. See this vid of a high-power Casper:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kG76oPygN0

Another thing I noticed in that vid was the balance point looked like it was way too far aft. Balancing this little beast will be critical to making it work. According to the data Native Paul was kind enough to supply, the "stock" power system was around 41 grams, not including the driveline. The motor/ESC/servo combo I have selected weigh in at 26.1 grams. I'm not going to use any connectors between the ESC and the motor; I'll solder the motor directly to the ESC and eliminate the ESC motor wires for maybe a gram or two savings. The Rx comes in at 5 grams, but I can save a couple of grams by removing the case. The battery I selected weighs another 26 grams, but it should give 4~5 minutes run time. This totals somewhere around 55 grams or about 2 ounces. The driveline in the sketch may be another 15~20 grams because the brass in the strut is a bit hefty. For the rudder, I'll probably use 1mm carbon fiber sheet and an aircraft aileron hinge.

NP is right that this may be a bit hefty, but putting sheet styrene ride pads on the sponsons with a bit of overhang will increase the planing surface area by quite a bit.

We shall see....

As I said: Going where no man has gone before......

UPDATE: I just checked my carbon fiber stockpile and I can probably make the strut from CF and save a lot of weight. I may be able to get an RC version going for an additional 15~20 grams or so.
    Last edited by Dr. Jet; 12-19-2017 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Add Update.

Default Some more advance thinking

The hull kit has yet to arrive, but I'm doing more advance planning. Anybody can buy the latest 54" hull and bolt in a proven system. Since this uber-micro RC has never been done before (to my knowledge), it requires planning and forethought. I appreciate input from the folks here.

As stated above, the "stock" boats seem to have the balance point really far to the aft. Additionally, looking at the deck in the photo, it appears access hatches are limited in size and location. In order to have a minimum of flex in the driveline (less drag) and to get the balance point forward, it may be advantageous to have the motor as far forward as possible (See photo of my BBY Micro). This would allow access to the motor mounting screws and the coupler through the engine hatch. Sealing that hatch will be a challenge, but I'm sure I can come up with something easy to tape up. This arrangement will allow lots of room to move the battery around for a good balance.
    Last edited by Dr. Jet; 12-19-2017 at 08:21 PM.

Default The First Part

Well, I made a strut to see how well it would work. In its current form it's about 2-1/2 grams. Once I cut the tang to height and mill a slot in it, it should be right around two grams.

I made the strut bracket this afternoon. According to the USPS tracking info Jim sent, the hull should be here tomorrow. Once I have the hull in my hands, I can make some measurements and cut the tang to length.

The next thing to think about is the rudder, and especially the hinge. Due to the small size of everything, the hinge has to be precise, i.e. slop-free, and light weight. Brass tubing would provide more precision as opposed to CF tubes and rods, but they're heavy. I may make an upper and lower plate from CF with a reamed 1/16" hole for the rudder pivot, and attach a small piece of 3/32" brass tube to a CF rudder blade. See sketch.
    Last edited by Dr. Jet; 12-21-2017 at 09:52 PM. Reason: Add sketch

Go with stainless for the pivot shaft.. the brass will wear quick from the CF

Quote Originally Posted by srislash View Post
    Go with stainless for the pivot shaft.. the brass will wear quick from the CF
    I have some 1/16 stainless tube, so that will work. Alternatively, I could put brass bushings in the upper and lower plates. Or, I could just let it wear and replace the shaft every hundred hours....

How wide is it, I am guessing 4"-4.5"? I may try to knock up something the same size, if the magic props are suitable it should be on the water for less than half the cost of getting a deck shipped from USA.

Quote Originally Posted by NativePaul View Post
    How wide is it, I am guessing 4"-4.5"? I may try to knock up something the same size, if the magic props are suitable it should be on the water for less than half the cost of getting a deck shipped from USA.
    I've been researching the whole Casper racing thing. It seems one of the allowable props was from the Kyosho Mini-Z Formula boat. See: https://www.ebay.com/p/Kyosho-Mini-z....c100005.m1851

How wide is it? I'll be able to give a more accurate answer to that this afternoon, but take a look at this:

Well, the hull didn't show up, but my rudder servo did.

Default More Advance Planning

After studying the photo of the deck, one thought I had was: How am I going to have access hatches with the "engine" in place and yet be able to seal them up?

I think I have the solution. I will remove the engine depression by scoring the inside of the depression with an X-acto blade. I'll also remove the rear depression as well. Then, I'll cut a thin styrene sheet so that it overhangs the engine opening in the deck and the aft cowl by about 1/4". I'll glue the engine depression to the bottom of this sheet which will give it the correct lateral curvature. Next, I'll glue the aft cowl to it, which should give it the correct longitudinal curve. Finally, I'll glue the engine to the depression and Bingo! A tape-down deck!
    Last edited by Dr. Jet; 12-25-2017 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Fix Typos

Are these the model kits that were sold at the unlimited races back in the 80s. I bought one of the miss bardahl

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryemartin1958 View Post
    Are these the model kits that were sold at the unlimited races back in the 80s. I bought one of the miss bardahl
    I believe that is the case. I too have the Miss Bardahl. Speaking of which, it finally arrived (Thanks again Jim! ). Man, is it TINY!! One of the valve covers was missing, but that's no big deal, I'll just make new ones from balsa. I think they'll look better in balsa anyway.

The quality of the molding is actually quite good. Rather than being pulled over a male mold, it was pulled INTO a female mold.

I'm going to do a lot of thinking and sketches before I start gluing anything. My basic concepts were good. The strut will work as built; I need to shorten the tang and the bracket, but that's just a few seconds on the sander; and I may shorten the length of the strut itself as well. The servo will just barely fit, but it will work. The battery may be a bit too big to fit through the hatch. I may drop down to 300mah and save 10 grams in the process.

I have some super-thin CF sheet. I may make a new transom doubler piece from it, then I can fill the indentation in the bottom of the hull for the prop with a thick Cab-O-Sil and epoxy mix. Some of this will be ground out to mount the strut through the transom, so it will make the fill a structural member.

The kit had hefty doublers in the engine and aft cowl to attach Velcro to the parts. I'm going to eliminate these and do the deck hatch as indicated in the sketch above. This will either be an overall weight savings or a wash. I plan to make the "shoebox" lip on the deck as small as possible (1/16"+) to shave a few grams and trim the hull bottom a bit more to the scored line on it (another gram or so).

The kit also had the batteries in the aft cowl and a big heavy slider switch under the engine. Eliminating the switch will save quite a few grams and relocating the motor and batteries will greatly help the balance.

All in all, this will be a challenging project, bit I think I can do it at nearly the same weight as the "stock" boats. A better balance and the ability to fine tune things may make a winner.

Photos when the sun comes up.......

Do you have scales good enough to weigh the hull, doublers, and the switch?

How wide is it?

I look forward to photos of the bottom, do you think the bottom is usable? How deep are the sponsons below the floor?

Do you have scales good enough to weigh the hull, doublers, and the switch?
    Yes I do. Good to 0.01 grams. Here are the weights thus far (in grams). Realize, I will be trimming some of the parts, eliminating others, and adding some as the build progresses. I'll keep a running total of the various weights and report them here.

Deck - 12.78
    Hull - 11.91
    Cowl - 1.74
    Motor - 1.20
    Valve cover - 0.38 x 2
    Motor doubler - 0.74 (Eliminate)
    Cowl doubler - 1.75 (Eliminate)
    Fin - 0.99
    Switch - 1.71 (Eliminate)
    Servo - 1.98
    Strut and Bracket - 1.59
    Prop - 0.12
    Motor - 14.5 (per Mfgr)
    ESC - 6 (per Mfgr)
    Battery - 16 (per Mfgr)

Weights of "stock" gear as provided by Native Paul

Motor - 18
    Battery - 23

Unknown "stock" weights

Driveshaft and Stuffing Tube
    Coupler
    Rudder
    Wires
    Velcro

I am already under stock weights with the motor/battery ESC by 3-1/2 grams. I should have a lighter driveline, I'll definitely have a lighter rudder, and with the trimming (2 grams??) and eliminating (another 5 grams??) of parts, I should be able to be at or below the stock weight of the uncontrolled model.

How wide is it?
    3-1/2 "

How deep are the sponsons below the floor?
    About 1/4" Should be adequate at this scale.
    Last edited by Dr. Jet; 12-28-2017 at 09:34 AM. Reason: Revise strut weight

Default Better Bottom Photos

I've been thinking about removing the "bumps" on the bottom, but at this point I think I will leave it alone. I'm going to fill the depression for the prop, and may put some full-length air traps on it.

So I thought I'd do a little test and sand the motor down to where it didn't look like it was sitting on top of the hull, i.e. a more "scale" appearance. The result? 0.58 grams which is less than half the weight of the "tall" motor (1.20 grams) and it looks a lot better.

Half a gram here, half a gram there, it will add up.
    Last edited by Dr. Jet; 12-27-2017 at 12:20 PM.

I had some free time so I trimmed the deck a bit more and opened the hole below the aft cowl. New weight: 10.89 grams or 1.89 gram reduction.

Did some sanding on the hull bottom. 11.41 grams. 0.50 gram reduction.
    Sanded the cowl. 1.49 grams. 0.25 gram reduction.

That's 3.26 grams sanded off just today. Add in the parts eliminated (4.2 grams) and that's 7.46 grams shaved off.

Looking at the numbers, the stock boats are somewhere around 75 grams, excluding wires, driveshaft, stuffing tube, Velcro and paint. That will be my goal weight.
    Last edited by Dr. Jet; 12-27-2017 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Add data

I made the transom doubler this morning. 0.21 grams. A good portion of this will be removed when I create the hole for the strut and rudder brackets. Photos to follow.

With the transom doubler in place (glue is cooking off), I could trim the strut and strut bracket. New weight: 1.59 grams, or 0.75 grams less than before.

I made a rudder and rudder bracket. 0.75 grams. It has to be 1/4 the weight of the stock fixed rudder.

Default Strut mounted

I got the strut mounted. I cut a square hole in the transom, then tacked the strut bracket in place with some CA. After that, I filled the "venturi" with a real dry mix of epoxy and Cab-O-Sil. The screw holding the strut in place is from an eyeglass repair kit.

Total weight of hull bottom w/ strut: 13.86 grams

Back to this project for a moment. I am somewhat in an impass as I need the motor to do a weight and balance and establish the locations of the various parts. I ordered the motor from HK on December 18 and this is what tracking says:

Dec 22, 2017
    02:47 pm
    The item is lodged to airport warehouse in originating country PostNL

Dec 26, 2017
    02:09 pm
    The item has left the originating country PostNL International

Dec 27, 2017
    01:50 am
    The item is ready for shipment PostNL International

12/26 The item has left the originating country; 12/27 The item is ready for shipment?

USPS has no info on this package.

Maybe I'll make the motor coupler today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjU8L6go1VA

Default Motor Coupler

The motor coupler may be the most complex single component of this entire build because of the precision required and the smallness of the part.

I have some 3/8 aluminum hex stock that will be the basis for this part. I'll turn it down just a little bit to establish a good edge, but still leave enough flat to make it easy to drill for the set screws. Then, I'll move the work to the mill to establish the exact vertical center and drill and tap the holes for the set screws. Then, it will be back to the lathe to drill a 1.2mm hole the full depth, followed by the 1.5mm reamer, then the 1/16" reamer to the precise depth. Next, I'll turn it down to 3/16" diameter, add the taper at the output end, then finally do the reduction at the motor end and cut the piece off.

I don't have digital readouts on either of my machines, so I have to use dial indicators with magnetic bases to determine travel amounts as I really don't trust the feed indicators due to backlash.

Default Coupler done!

I measured the length of my setscrews and decided to make the outer diameter of the coupler 0.250"; otherwise it's all per my sketch. 1.28 grams with 4 SS setscrews.

Default Weight Update

According to the information I have available, the stock boats are somewhere around 75 grams, excluding wires, driveshaft, stuffing tube, Velcro and paint. I have contacted Chris Casper and he is sending me information on the power system and I can extrapolate the all-up weight of the free-running boat from the information provided.

My current weight total is 67.45 grams. I will be removing some wires from the ESC and soldering the motor wires directly to the board and probably eliminating the shrink-tube wrap on it as well for some savings. I have yet to settle on a receiver, but that should be in the 5 gram range. My driveshaft should be considerably lighter as it will be primarily 1/32 wire. I may also use 1/32 wire for the rudder pushrod with some brass tubing sleeves to make a water-tight seal.

All in all, I'm confident that this will be at or under the weight of the free-runners, will be better balanced, and should have a better power-to-weight ratio.

It just might work....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast