Thread: Prewarming lipos

Default Prewarming lipos

I have gotten different inputs inregards of prewarming your lipos for aproximatly 2 to 3 hrs at 85f to 100f before a race or even playing at the pond some say it will improve the performance of the lipo giving more amperage burst giving more power and speed appreciate some feed back ?

Warming lipo's helps drop their internal resistance allowing you to pull more current.
    This really only applies if you are going for the last nth percent of performance like time trial and SAW racing, particularly with 1P set-ups.
    For practicing and heat racing it usually is not necessary unless its really cold out.
    Lipo's typically give the best performance between 100-120F.
    However, unless you know exactly what you are doing I highly discourage heating lipos.
    If you do try it, only warm them for 30-45min using something like a warming blanket or lipo warming bag. Don't use a heat gun or leave them under the hood of your car.

The latest Graphene cells work pretty good at normal ambient temps excluding winter conditions.

-Tyler
    Tyler Garrard
    NAMBA 639/IMPBA 20525
    T-Hydro @ 142.94mph former WR

Appreciate the feed back....

Does NAMBA allow pre warming of lipos when racing etc ?

Cool

A decade ago when LiPos were relatively new, you could clearly see the increased speed as the pack warmed up. By the third or forth lap the boat was running a lot faster than at the start. Perhaps this is where the per-warming idea comes from.

As Tyler stated, today’s LiPos with much lower internal resistance don’t need to be pre-warmed. I’ve logged many runs and starting in the 60*F range I don’t see a noticeable difference in either voltage or current compared to the same setup starting in the 90*F range. But I would probably pre-heat if the packs were in the 30-40*F range, that’s pretty cold. But it doesn’t get that cold when we run here.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

I appreciate the feed back....