Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Who wants to build a semi-scale all-wood micro hydro?

I made a new nose cone for the strut that will go on this hull. As you recall, the last one did not have the bore for the shaft concentric with everything else. This was due to run-out in my lathe chuck and the resulting inability to clamp the work piece in the same place after removing it from the chuck.

I replaced that old chuck and the difference is astonishing. The 1/16" hole bored through the entire thing is centered to well within 0.0005".

The drive on this will be very similar to the one on the little Casper hull with the exception of I will be using 1/32" music wire instead of the carbon fiber rod. The steel wire will be able to handle the increased power with ease. I've proven it with the BBY Micro Scat Cat.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves

Default 1/32 Wire Drive

Here it is.

As I stated in the concurrent cat thread, I now have enough wood to cut two more prototype kits of this hull. I'll build one, and probably leave the other on the shelf to gather dust.

Ahhhh...... The wood has arrived and I'm taking it to the laser guy next Monday. Stay tuned for Prototype #2. Prototype #1 is completely usable as-is, but I want my plans to be perfect. #1 has a few imperfections that are mostly cosmetic now, but if I ever cut a kit for someone else, it should be right.

Default Testing....1....2....1....2....

I did a little test to see if it was possible to make a nose cone for the strut with common tools. I took some diameter measurements and put one of those CST pushrod ends in my electric hand drill. Using a file and some sandpaper, I got it pretty close and cut the end that goes into the strut off to about 3/16". OMG! I didn't reduce the diameter enough. What to do? Upon inspecting the piece, the hole on the backside looked to be about 1/8" in diameter. I took an old broken Dremel grinding wheel that was just the shaft and crammed it in the hole. Behold! It fit!

Anyway, here's proof you can make a nose cone without expensive machine tools.

Default More Testing....

On the strut that will eventually make its way onto Prototype #2, I used an Octura propshaft that had been drilled for a 1/16" wire drive. These are getting hard to find, so I wanted to test another option. I made a propshaft from K&S 1/8" stainless steel tube. Unfortunately, the K&S tubing is a few thousandths larger than 1/8" so it doesn't fit in the strut, nor will a drive dog fit on it either. So again, I broke out the trusty electric hand drill and some 320 grit wet-or-dry sandpaper and began taking it down.

Stainless steel is REALLY hard stuff, so it took A LOT of sanding, but eventually I got it right. I had to be careful to make certain I had a proper diameter over the entire length of the shaft, but some patience and persistence gave the result I wanted.

So I feel that this test has been successful. Anybody can build a 1/32" wire drive using readily available materials and simple hand tools.
    Last edited by Dr. Jet; 03-05-2018 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Fix Typo

Laser-cutting on Prototype #2 has been delayed for a week or so. See the concurrent thread on the 12" cat for details.

OK..... After several delays, the most recent being the SSA Convention in Reno, I have found some time and opportunity to work on the Atlas V2.0 Project. Laser-cutting V2.0 has a few added pieces and several revised pieces. So far, I've assembled the center tub's major components and have sealed the interior wood with thinned epoxy.

Hi Bill
    Did you know Mike Morgan is a laser cutter or is that who you are using?

Mark

Hi Mark,

I know Mike has a vinyl cutter and a CNC router, but I didn't know he has a laser. I'm using a guy that is a couple of miles from my house. Not cheap (no laser ever is...), but he's very accurate.

I think you'll find Mike is reasonable. If you have the file he will cut the parts.

Mark

I'll send him an email, and I have the files he can use. I've modified the original files quite a bit and I'd like to build the Prototype V2.0 from that drawing. The trouble is, I still have two "kits" of Prototype V1.0 lying around. I wonder what I should do with them? Knowing there's an issue, the curves I didn't like at bulkhead B can be corrected with a little fiddling, so the kits will still give excellent results.

I've been talking with Mike, and yes, he does have a laser! I will probably use him for all future laser-cutting, just because we are long-time friends.

Work on the Atlas has stalled slightly in order to finish the 16" Cat and some other non-boat projects, but I'll be getting back to it soon. As it stands, I think I have one Prototype#1 "kit" and one Prototype #2 "kit" in my inventory, just takin' up space in my shop....

Default Update on Mike the New Laser Guy

I've known Mike for decades now and I'm working with him for all future laser cutting projects. As I was perusing through his website, I saw that he was making 3-D printed airplane kits..... Looking at the precision-printed kits got me to thinking..... Why am I fooling around with gluing, sanding, sealing, and finishing wood bits, when with just a little design work, I could make a PERFECT 3-D printed hull with all the required motor, servo, and hardware mounts already built in? Just think: Scale engine details, cockpit details, hull details..... The possibilities are endless.

Maybe I should start a new thread entitled "Who wants to build a 1/20 scale 3-D printed hydro?"

15. Default

Now that is very cool
    "Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone – except God.”
    Billy Graham

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123