Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MGM esc programming problem

Default MGM esc programming problem

Doug check the threads that I started, there is one I put up when I had an issue with a 1527 1500kv and an mgm28026 controller, there should be a video of what happened. I would do it for you but I’m struggling to do it on my mobile phone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RaceMechaniX View Post
    I plan on testing the YEP 180HV and a Kosmik 200HV with cooling for potential HV controllers in my boats in 2018.
    I have tried a set of YEP 180HV on a twin and will never use them again.
    Randy
    For ABS, Fiberglass, Carbon hulls and Stainless hardware
    BBY Racing

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Quote Originally Posted by RandyatBBY View Post
    I have tried a set of YEP 180HV on a twin and will never use them again.
    Care to elaborate Randy? What motors did you run? I would prefer to save a nice hull from a smelly mess if I can avoid it.

I use ducted fans as load dyno's for testing combinations. The smaller one is a Schueleber DS-86-HDS ducted fan mounted on some plywood. Allows me to load the motor at decent RPM's for extended periods to see if controllers have any issues. I ran the YEP and a 2250 for 4 and a half minutes at about 75% and everything was only warm. DC amp draw was around 125A.

The larger one is a 160mm I think and uses a Lehner 30 series motor which provides plenty of load not to mention tornado level wind speeds in my shop.

IMG_8149.jpgIMG_0450.jpgIMG_0449.jpg
    Tyler Garrard
    NAMBA 639/IMPBA 20525
    T-Hydro @ 142.94mph former WR

So just to theorize.. I put a 280 on my limited mono today.. it didn’t cut off.. but when I pulled the data said it was pulling 395 amps.. come on!!

That's phase current, not DC current. It's also the peak value of the AC wave form I believe. So 395Apeak =279Arms.
    What was the DC current?
    Tyler Garrard
    NAMBA 639/IMPBA 20525

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post
    Yes fluid that is correct.

Care to elaborate Randy? What motors did you run? I would prefer to save a nice hull from a smelly mess if I can avoid it.

IMG_8149.jpgIMG_0450.jpgIMG_0449.jpg
    Hear is the thread of the build. I still have the ESC. they look fine. Actually I was drawn to them becuse of the size of the fets. they look a lot like a Schultz I had big hopes for the Yep 180.

https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com...Central+marine
    Randy
    BBY Racing

That's phase current, not DC current. It's also the peak value of the AC wave form I believe. So 395Apeak =279Arms.
    What was the DC current?
    So how to you work the math when you read the phase current top get dc current? I am spiking 900 amps some times with my 4S setups and it was hard for me to belive. That setup is a Neu 1530 .5Y, MGM 400-63, 4S3P 3300maH cells 65C/130C, ABC 1814, 11 pound 34 inch sport hydro. This hydro runs around 67MPH to 70MPH. I onlu have problem on the launch getting up to speed once it is at full speed it is OK from there on.

This is the boat. I have ran the same esc in this boat for going on three seasons. The only better ESC IMO is the 40.160
    Randy
    BBY Racing

I have forgotten the Yep were 120 not 180 I just read that.
    Randy
    BBY Racing

Hey fellas, Tomas is getting registered so he can post.
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Randy. I am running a Dual 300 Flyer in a Twin Cat. Plett Motors. The Big 370BM/40/A1/S..X457 props. All good so far.

Quote Originally Posted by photohoward1 View Post
    Randy. I am running a Dual 300 Flyer in a Twin Cat. Plett Motors. The Big 370BM/40/A1/S..X457 props. All good so far.
    Thanks Howard I do not get around much any more. I have great memories of racing you years ago. I am glad I went to every race I ever did. (good and bad) I am not familiar with the Plett brushless motor do you have any comparison pictures?

It is good to hear about the Filer ESC, I have seen them work and then stop . I have never owned one.
    Randy
    BBY Racing

Quote Originally Posted by photohoward1 View Post
    I was running too with a singe 300A Flyer. It was good until 12s. Then the capacitors leads burned.But that was a bit overloaded.....
    But before we burned 5-6 pcs. 250-400A Flyer. The Flyer contact Cathy very helpful and she provided me some spare parts free for repair.

That's one of the few on the IMPBA motor list for scale. Pretty rare bird there. Aren't those 8 pole Howard? I remember you fighting this to run on a Schulze.
    Noisy person

Found it. 8 pole. Low kv but you didn't loosed any rpm under load with them being 8 poles.
    Noisy person

Quote Originally Posted by RandyatBBY View Post
    So how to you work the math when you read the phase current top get dc current? I am spiking 900 amps some times with my 4S setups and it was hard for me to belive. That setup is a Neu 1530 .5Y, MGM 400-63, 4S3P 3300maH cells 65C/130C, ABC 1814, 11 pound 34 inch sport hydro. This hydro runs around 67MPH to 70MPH. I onlu have problem on the launch getting up to speed once it is at full speed it is OK from there on.

This is the boat. I have ran the same esc in this boat for going on three seasons. The only better ESC IMO is the 40.160
    Hey Randy, Thanks for the link on the build. I was also attracted to the YEP because it has a similar design as the 40.160 and YGE controllers. However it is missing the copper clad core which is what makes the old Schulze so good.

I am not too surprised about the 900A phase currents with a 1530 0.5Y. Those are huge amperage motors and at 11 lbs that's a lot of weight to push around.
    The MGM's log input current and phase current. It's best to download the data and open in excel. You can then plot the current over the run.
    Here is a screenshot my one of my logs. Column D, shows the input current. Column Y, not shown in the pic is the phase current.

MGM 25063 1527 1D data.jpg
    Tyler Garrard
    NAMBA 639/IMPBA 20525

I have both the YEP 120 and 180 esc's, as yet unused. I plan to use (either one of) them in an offshore endurance boat, so average current draws should be less than 50A on 10S. What bothers me the most with these esc's is the minimal amount of cooling, just a brass tube down each side. Would it be a good idea to make up some cooling plates to put on top of the fets, similar to the old T-120 style?
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

Peter,

Most FET's that we see in use for hobby speed controllers transfer their internal heat through the solder pad on the bottom. The PCB's will have 2 or more layers, 4 is pretty typical with 105um copper traces in middle layer and 70um on the top and bottom. Thermal via's carry both the current and heat. Ideally the PCB is only populated on one side so the chill plate can be directly underneath the switches. However, this would double the PCB area making the controller quite a bit bigger.

Schulze used a 1mm copper clad core which is very expensive to produce but it allowed the center row of FET's to get their heat out to the edges.
    This picture clearly shows the copper core.IMG_6860.jpg

Schulze switched to a more traditional FR4 board and this greatly decreased their performance even through the switches were newer. However, the board could not remove the heat.

Fun fact, each switch dissipates about 20W of heat. So on ESC's like the YEP180HV with 30 switches, that is 600W of heat the controller is trying to get rid of.

Some of us do add cooling plates top and bottom to remove heat, but it is a band aid.
    Tyler Garrard
    NAMBA 639/IMPBA 20525

Thanks Tyler
    The YEP's were on special at HobbyKing so I grabbed them as they should suit the application. I will probably use the 180 as it should not need to work as hard with the low current draw, however it will be doing runs of 20 mins +, so heat build up may still be an issue and need extra cooling. I will only know when I get to testing next year. The motor is a TP 4060 580kv and it is all going into a HK Osprey.
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    Found it. 8 pole. Low kv but you didn't loosed any rpm under load with them being 8 poles.
    Worked pretty well on a Schulze. Low KV? I think it’s about 900 per volt hard to read the figures they give you wacky statistics to figure it out. Ran those on x450 maybe 452 back in the day. 60mph. I think Alan ran his on a 447/3. In that Muck Hull. Couple Canadians still running them too. They sound like turbines.

Hello guys,

My name is Tomas and I work at MGM CONTROLLERS. Doug contacted me through our Facebook page. Our support guy Martin read this forum and you can see his response below.

The RaceMechaniX seems to know all the stuff. We recommend high quality Lehner motors, which work very well with our MGM controllers. Some other motors may create high current peaks, especially on higher voltage, for example on 12s batteries.

There is no issue with D or Y connection of motors, this connection just influence the motor KV. If the motor kv is too high on given voltage (usually with D connection), then the current peaks might get too high. The controller will try to protect itself by limiting the power or even by cut-off, if currents are extreme.

The motor TP 5660 7D is suitable for voltage up to 44V according to manufacturer, but your 12s battery has about 50.4V, when fully charged, so that is too much for this motor. So it is important to respect the max. allowed voltage for given motor.
    There are more ways how to solve the issues with limiting the high current peaks. In this case the most efficient solution is lowering the voltage.

You can also use propeller with smaller diameter or lower pitch to reduce the load on the motor.

It is important to set correct parameter settings in the controller software, especially set parameters P52: Motor timing to about 10-15 degrees for TP, Castle, NEU motors, P16: acceleration to 2.0 sec. or more, P51: Motor PWM frequency to 8kHz, P21: Freewheel to Yes.

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact me here or at info@mgm-controllers.com.

Hello Tomas

I thing MGM made high quality and highly protected controllers. We chose this ESC therefore.
    But we have the same problem with other setup in other boats with MGM. And there is no over voltage. With leopard 5692 3d 7s the same situation.
    But there is no problem with overloaded Lehner.
    So I think it's a bit a communication problem.
    If you would have advised me when I ordered the controllers there is no this topic
    "We recommend high quality Lehner motors, which work very well with our MGM controllers. Some other motors may create high current peaks"
    Otherwise we think your product one of the best in this area and we keep with MGM, therefore I ordered the new lehners:)

Regards Peter

Alright. Someone has to say it.

Lehner are excellent motors. The quality is absolutely second to none. They are literally a work of art in my opinion. I still have one left.

That said, I haven't raced one since 2009. The problem with the Lehner is that they haven't evolved. Every other manufacturer has 4 plus pole options. You can get TP motors with 6 poles. 2 pole is great if you're going to just go straight. You don't need the torque for that. Boats that oval race need torque. Acceleration is massive and happens about every 6 seconds. None of my oval records were set with 2 pole motors.
    Noisy person

I run Lehner motors and MGM 280 and 250 controllers on 6s setups they are awesome, i also run NEU 1527 motors and with MGM speedo's i've had many issues even with the correct setting. There has to be a problem between MGM and NEU/TP/Castle motors because so many people are suffering from issues.

Those are all 4 pole motors.
    Noisy person

Those are all 4 pole motors.
    TP 6 pole

Lehner's work just fine for oval racing, they do prefer to be run at higher speeds compared to the 4/6-poles or you have to use the next size larger can. For some boats this is fine and for others the 4 or 6-poles work better. The biggest issue is the LMT's are very expensive and most of us simply cannot afford LMT's for every boat. Our challenge is there are a number of very good high performance multi pole motors like the TP's that are 1/3 the cost compared to the LMT's, however there is no good controller solution for the 4-pole motors besides the converted castle ICE controllers. Especially for the HV applications.

@ Tomas, would it help if we are are sending you several 4/6-pole motors that we commonly use for you to validate the ESC parameters with? I would be willing to send you the ducted fan dyno I have with a TP4070 motor and even include the 40063 and 25063 I use.

-Tyler
    Tyler Garrard
    NAMBA 639/IMPBA 20525

Alright. Someone has to say it.

Lehner are excellent motors. The quality is absolutely second to none. They are literally a work of art in my opinion. I still have one left.

That said, I haven't raced one since 2009. The problem with the Lehner is that they haven't evolved. Every other manufacturer has 4 plus pole options. You can get TP motors with 6 poles. 2 pole is great if you're going to just go straight. You don't need the torque for that. Boats that oval race need torque. Acceleration is massive and happens about every 6 seconds. None of my oval records were set with 2 pole motors.
    Have to disagree. I run Mostly LMT. We could drag race Terry. I have always said LMT were easier on controllers. Has anyone really done a torque comparison? You got the oval records because you guys in MI. Practice running ovals all the time. Your good at it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast