Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: MGM esc programming problem

They are provided for Anti-spark. The 22 Ohm is for 0-15V, the 47 Ohm is for 15-63V and the 100 Ohm is for 15-120V.
    Tyler Garrard
    NAMBA 639/IMPBA 20525
    T-Hydro @ 142.94mph former WR

Some new info about MGM-TP pair.
    I was on the lake two days for testing. That was very cold but must to run:)
    So the end of the 2nd. day the setup was stable. The program I think a bit extreme because must to use very high timing 28 degree for the D wind motor!!!!
    The max esc temp 34 celsius.
    The motor temp was 20.8 celsius.
    The p16 acceleration parameter 4s.
    The max speed 126km/h what very low....(10S)
    I have better experience with same setup with a little lehner 2250/10.
    My experience the MGM-Lehner works much better then the MGM-TP or MGM-Serious combo.

Have you tried timing below 10Deg?
    Tyler Garrard
    NAMBA 639/IMPBA 20525

What does everybody or anybody think of auto timing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RaceMechaniX View Post
    Have you tried timing below 10Deg?
    Yes
    Tried with 0-3-6-7-8. Always was motor blocking.

Some logs
    Input / peak current and input voltage.
    When I tried with lower timing the input current was much higher like now.
    But I think somethings wrong with the batteries but all new turnigy heavy duty 60C.20171219_205921.jpg

Howard, I would only try auto timing with the LMT's.

Triton, I would be careful with the high timing. I am surprised it works, but data does not lie.

Have you tried using low timing and increasing the switching frequency?

-Tyler
    Tyler Garrard
    NAMBA 639/IMPBA 20525

Howard, I would only try auto timing with the LMT's.

Triton, I would be careful with the high timing. I am surprised it works, but data does not lie.

Have you tried using low timing and increasing the switching frequency?

-Tyler
    No.
    Tomorrow will try it.
    What you think about the battery voltage?

The battery voltage is not great, but I assume the batteries were not warm at the beginning of the run.
    Towards the end of the run they were improving. It also looks like you were not starting with fully charged cells. 40V instead of 42V for a 10S pack.
    Also notice that the current increases towards the end of the run.
    The Turnigy HD cells are pretty decent cells by the way.
    -Tyler
    Tyler Garrard
    NAMBA 639/IMPBA 20525

Tyler, I've been thinking of making a similar type of Dyno setup to test ESC's before putting them on the water - know of any cheaper EDF fans that can handle high RPM's and amps that don't cost like $800 ? :)

Triton,

What TP are you running?

?..What TP are you running?
    See post #5.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Quote Originally Posted by dmitry100 View Post
    Tyler, I've been thinking of making a similar type of Dyno setup to test ESC's before putting them on the water - know of any cheaper EDF fans that can handle high RPM's and amps that don't cost like $800 ? :)
    Not any I would trust spinning over 40kRPM.
    Tyler Garrard
    NAMBA 639/IMPBA 20525

I'm not interested in re-hashing this subject, but I wanted to provide a little perspective and results from the low voltage side of things.

I've probably put in over 300 runs on one of my MGM 280A controllers and over 200 runs on my backup. For a number of years, I have used 6-pole motors (not TP) on 2s setups. Consistently, I run 160A on a D-wind motor up to around 200A, making as many as 6 SAW passes at a time. Running lower timing and a higher switching rate, I haven't run into any issues or current limiting. I have also turned some very large props without issues.

In my case, I am limited by the current limits for the motor, regardless of whether it is an off-the-shelf motor or one that I have hand-wound. Typically, on 2s, my motors have a limit of 2200 watts continuous which puts me pretty close to the 280A limit. However, I hardly ever get to that limit with my setups. To do 280A or so on a 6-pole motor, I would have to turn a 50mm prop which is completely crazy in a 2s setup, in my humble opinion.

I have similar experiences with 6-pole motors running on 4s.

Regarding Tyler's comment about wonder who has really fried MGM controllers, I have cooked only one 280A MGM. The SAW setup was using a LMT motor, but it appears that a couple of the aftermarket caps failed and with the longer wires (4" as I recall) I needed to position the cells in a small 2s sport hydro. I would consider this situation to be operator failure and not an issue of the MGM controller.

With proven reliability, I would say that with proper motor, model and prop matching for the load and RPM, the 280A MGM does very well on lower voltage, even with higher pole inrunner motors. It is clear that all ESCs suffer from time to time with different motors and setups, but it is likely that we are asking more of the motor than what it is able to deliver.
    IMPBA: 7-Time FE World Record Holder "Don't think outside the box. Rather, refuse to admit that the box exists in the first place!"

MGM Controllers - Giant Power Lipos - ML Boatworks - Wholt's Wire Drives & Struts - Nano-Oil

Quote Originally Posted by triton View Post
    Some new info about MGM-TP pair.
    I was on the lake two days for testing. That was very cold but must to run:)
    So the end of the 2nd. day the setup was stable. The program I think a bit extreme because must to use very high timing 28 degree for the D wind motor!!!!
    The max esc temp 34 celsius.
    The motor temp was 20.8 celsius.
    The p16 acceleration parameter 4s.
    The max speed 126km/h what very low....(10S)
    I have better experience with same setup with a little lehner 2250/10.
    My experience the MGM-Lehner works much better then the MGM-TP or MGM-Serious combo.
    The new motors arrived from Lehner. Two for monos and two for the cat.
    I thing if we want to take advantage the maximum possibility of MGM controllers Lehner is an optimal choice.
    Hope we will run much faster:)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi,i am running a lmt 2250/6 in combination with mgm 280 A esc on 6s in a 29" cat hull.
    At high rpm`s it seems esc safety feature is kicking in,when i listen to the sound of the motor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1GGZXaBZDo
    Last edited by danthem; 12-13-2019 at 01:24 AM.

The ESC is probably hitting a temp limit or a phase current limit. You have an almost SAW setup so this is not surprising. Instead of using the MGM data viewer, download the data file and open in Excel. Look for hardware warnings or high phase currents.

Instead of using the MGM data viewer, download the data file and open in Excel. Look for hardware warnings or high phase currents.
    I didn't know you could do that, cool.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

The ESC is probably hitting a temp limit or a phase current limit. You have an almost SAW setup so this is not surprising. Instead of using the MGM data viewer, download the data file and open in Excel. Look for hardware warnings or high phase currents.
    I did that,3 high current events were logged-have to say I´m only on the light version of the controller.Maybe i could try to run 2x 6s 3000 mah in parallel instead-not too much room for those in that little boat.

Many thanks for the quick reply!

Hi,i recently ran china motors on MGM controllers and had absolutely no issues.
    Last edited by danthem; 12-26-2019 at 09:44 AM.

Another 4 pole MBP 4055-2400kv on Mgm280/6s-7degree timing successfully tested...
    still some room for improvement,as amp draw was way too high;some other timing settings to be tested.
    Last edited by danthem; 12-30-2019 at 08:23 PM.

Hi...in my case I have the USB link, and have tried to program it through there, but when i plug the batteries in only the steering works but the throttle does not. What did you enter for min/max throttle setting in the middle of the left hand bar. I also have a thread at RCM, just getting my question out there. Any chance you could tell me what settings you have written from the PC?

seo toronto
    Last edited by ByronDonald; 03-13-2020 at 04:37 PM.

Sorry for beeing late,the attached pics showing the esc connnected to a lmt 2 pole,was using tactic rx/tx combo that time;throttle settings P6-P8 should not be relevant here.
    Important items are P42-P44 and P16-higher values recommended.mgm1.jpgmgm2.jpg

After few years of rest Im over a three events with MGM Lehner combo.
    The new 3040/7-s works great with 10S lipo and 15 Timing. No any other issue like previously.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234